thread snowflakes CAL

karin4christ

I got 2 snowflakes and a base done this morning for a small tree topper now I just need to figure out how they are starched I've not done a 3D one yet. Any helpfull hints out there? lol

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed most of the people who posted in this thread had extremely long signatures. It makes reading through posts difficult. Please remember the rules place a limit on signature size!

please limit your signatures to no more than 10 lines at a size 2 font (including spaces between lines), which is about the same as 2 inches on a regular computer screen. If your signature is larger than this, we may ask you to adjust it.

Lea, thanks for posting the pattern. I think I'll have to try that one next. Last night when I was doing dishes a brilliant thought came into my head. :eek I know, how scarey can that be!! I have a foam tray that meat is plastic wrapped in. I washed it really well and I'm going to try that for my blocking board. Its small enough that it won't take up much room in my craft room (aka my bedroom). I think I'll try to tape some plastic wrap or waxed paper to it. I'll let you all know how it works out. I'm a little scared to block my snowflake. I've never done it before. And Vigilant20, I'll work on making my signature smaller. Sorry.:(

That's a wonderful idea Karin!!! I'm sure it will work..... now what is the worse that can happen with your snowflake??? You block it, it looks rough, and you have to wash it out and try again..... BUT...I'm sure you'll be fine

ok, so this is officially week 1, and I need to complete 3/week or there abouts to have as many as I want. I found a lost "pretty snowflake" i made a while back, and I finished another of the one from the CSB, so I am up to 3 completed!! Which means so far I am on track!! woot woot!!

Okay, I managed to get 3 done so far! I decided I will try and post pictures of my flakes on Wednesdays on my blog, so you can see a picture of my first attempts here

I did an experiment stiffening them...with these I cooked my own cornstarch from the link sammimag gave us (I'd post it again but it's not working right now for some reason) I took 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1/2 cup water and simmered it on the stove until it went transparent, then I put my first flake in (didn't wet the flake first) blotted off the excess and blocked it out on a piece of styrofoam, which worked really well! The other two I wet first and then put into the starch...they stiffened, but not as well, so I just may try them again. Has anyone else tried any other methods that they would recommend?

I used two patterns found on the cpc site, the middle one is the picot snowflake and the one on the right is the pretty snowflake The flake on the left is the beginning few rounds of a doily pattern that I altered just a bit.

I want to join. I have already made about 5 snowflakes this week. I have been making snowflakes since mid December. I have made them with different size yarn like thin baby yarn. I have also made different colors. The do fit in the purse nicely.

I want to join. I have already made about 5 snowflakes this week. I have been making snowflakes since mid December. I have made them with different size yarn like thin baby yarn. I have also made different colors. The do fit in the purse nicely.

Glad to have you Tammy!

I made snowflakes last week but this week is a busy one. Perhaps I'll work on some tonight whilst I watch a movie.

I want to join in on this too. I need about 100 snowflakes this year. Hope I can do it. I am going to start on them tonight and put a baggie with cotton and hook and scissors in my purse for when I am sitting visiting my dad in the hospital.

Carol

I want to join in on this too. I need about 100 snowflakes this year. Hope I can do it. I am going to start on them tonight and put a baggie with cotton and hook and scissors in my purse for when I am sitting visiting my dad in the hospital.

Carol

YAY! so glad you're here!

How is everyone planning to hang their snowflakes? Are you crocheting a chain loop or are you planning on using a little ornament hanger? If you are going to crochet a loop, do you think I should stiffen it along with the snowflake?? :think Thanks.

I will use an ornament hanger. but it you crochet a chain, I suggest leaving the chain unstiffened.

Archived