Cupcake Purse Pattern!

Tapanga

The Cupcake purse pattern is finally ready to meet the big wide world. This is my first written pattern. I had a hard time deciding on whether to sell it or offer it for free.

I would like to thank all my testers for their time and patience and special thanks to Sewnsew for the picture I am using (hers actually looks better than mine!).

Enjoy!!

Cupcake Purse v5

- Designed by Cynthia Gurisko 12/2006

Cupcakelabel.jpg

Yarn: Two colors of any worsted weight yarn

Hook: H/5.00 MM

Skill level: Beginner/Advance Beginner

For bottom and sides (cupcake part), it’s worked as one piece.

Round 1: Ch 4, join to fourth ch from hook with a sl st to form a ring, Ch 3 (mark this as 1st dc, this will always be the 1st dc in a round), 12 dc into ring, join with a sl st into the first dc.

Round 2: ch 2 (move stitch marker up with each row), 1dc in same st, 2 dc in st around, join with sl st to first dc

Round 3: ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc in next st, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st*, repeat from * around, join with sl st in 1st dc

Round 4: ch 2, 1 dc in same st, *1 dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st*, repeat from around,

join with sl st in 1st dc

Round 5: Repeat round 4

Round 6: Ch 2, *1 fpdc in next 2 st, 1 bpdc in next 2 st*, repeat from * around, join with sl to 1st dc.

Round 7 - 15: Repeat round 6. Note: May be continued to any desired height.

Fasten off, flip inside out and weave ends in.

Flip right side out.

Top (frosting) Note: There will a 1 stitch increase per row, it creates the puffy look when the purse is cinched.

With second color

Round 1: Join with a slip stitch to any stitch in top of cake, ch1 (mark this as the 1st stitch in the round), *1 sc in next st* repeat around. Join with sl st to 1st sc.

Round 2: ch 2, (move stitch marker up with each row) 1dc in same st , *1 dc in back loops only of next stitch*, repeat * around, Join with sl st to 1st st.

Round 3: ch 2, (in both loops) 1 dc in same st, *1 dc in next st repeat around*, Join with sl st to 1st st.

Round 4 – 7: Repeat Round 3

Round 8: ch 2, 1 dc in next 2 st, ch 1, skip next stitch, *1dc in next 4 st, ch 1, skip next stitch*, repeat around to last 4 st, 1 dc in next 3, ch 1, skip next stitch, join with sl st to 1st dc. Note: This will create a space for the straps.

Round 9: ch 2, 1 dc in next two st, *1 dc in previous row ch 1 sp, 1 dc in next 4 st*, repeat around, join with sl st to 1st dc. Fasten off.

Ruffled edge (of frosting, where the two colors meet)

NOTE: You will be working into the first row of single chains made when you changed color. You will crochet into the front loop left free when you worked in the back loop for round 2 of the TOP.

Round 1: Join with a slip st to any of the free front loops, ch 1, *5 dc in next st, 1 sc in next st*, repeat around. Fasten off. Weave in all ends.

Straps (make 2)

Make a simple chain, however long you like. Make 2. You will weave these through the spaces left from round 8. Weave one strap in from left side, knot together. Weave in second strap from right side, knot together. So when both are pulled they cinch the top of the purse closed.

Stitches Used:

Sl st = Slip stitch

Sc = single crochet

Dc = Double crochet

Fpdc = Front Post Double Crochet

BPDC = Back Post Double Crochet

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 9 kids to make gifts for (my own 4 plus my 5 nieces and nephews) There are 7 girls and 2 boys. I think this will make a great gift for the girls! (But what about the boys???? hmmmmm......)

Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing the pattern!

Tina

Oh, I love it! I'm printing it out now. Thank you for sharing!

An idea- what about making the "base" a bit longer and making it as an ice cream cone? :)

Thank you all for the positive feedback! This pattern is VERY quick. I did an assembly line production for them as gifts. I made a 3 of the bottoms, then moved on to the tops. Took my 2 days to do 3 of them.

I am making a coin purse that goes with it. Its not a cupcake, but will match the theme of a sweet tasty treat. I should have it done this weekend. I just have to put a zipper in.

I finished making this last night and it is HUGE! I used a larger hook than recommended. I LOVE it though! It was a lot of fun to make. My camera is on the fritz now, but I'll post pictures when I can. Thanks for posting this adorable pattern. :)

• 1 month later...

I think this is such a cute pattern for a little girls purse and it is just the right size for a 2- 3 yr old. thanks for sharing. I am ready to make one for my grand daughter tomorrow. I will be sure to share my picture of it, take care

Archived