Creating Flyer to Promote Crochetville--Your Input Requested

Amy

Someone asked a question in another thread asking if any members had tried to "advertise" Crochetville in their communities. Donna and I thought this would be a great idea, so we are going to design a flyer that any Crochetville member can print off and place in their LYS, craft stores, anywhere else that you can get permission to post it.

I'm thinking about having tear-off strips at the bottom of the sheet with the Crochetville URL. That way people could just tear off that strip instead of taking the whole flyer---cutting down on the number of copies members would need to print.

I'll probably also have a color and a grayscale version available, so people can print whichever they prefer.

I'm thinking of having a bulleted list to show the different things available at Crochetville.

If you have any ideas on the information that should be included on the flyer or any design ideas, please post them in this thread.

I'm sure with everybody's input, we can come up with a really stunning flyer!

Empress Busy Bee posted her suggestions in the other thread, and they really belong in this thread. I couldn't just move her post over here, because then it would appear as the first post in the thread. So I'm going to quote her:

You should make a matching business card sheet so if anyone wants, they can get some business cards, print them out, carry in their purse/wallet, and hand out.

You could make two versions. One generic with the info, one with a blank space so members could add their user names and/or real names.

My two cents (feel free to disregard, I'm just thinking aloud and certainly don't mind if my suggestions aren't used):

People are really impressed by "fame". So maybe a quick line stating "Crochetville was mentioned in....this publiction (state the most "prestigious" first) as well as this publication (state another)" somewhere in the print-out would be helpful.

I forget the names of the publications that mentioned Crochetville (that is why they aren't listed by name in my example).

Back at the time of the CGOA convention this summer, we did make a business card with the Crochetville URL available for people to print out. It was a pdf file.

I'm going to have to hunt down the post I put it in or hunt it down on my hard drive and get it posted again. :)

EDITED TO ADD: I found the post in which I had uploaded the file, but apparently the file didn't transfer when we migrated to the new platform. (Or we need to do something to make it accessible.) I've looked all over my hard drive, and can't find the file. If anybody downloaded the file, cvillecard.pdf, would you please email a copy of it back to me, pretty please? My email address is amyshelton AT knology DOT net.

Thanks so much!! (And I can't believe I can't find that file anywhere on my stupid computer!)

I really like the idea of the tear-strips with the URL! Those would be cheap to produce, and folk would not mind just ripping one off and sticking it in their pocket.

Crochetville, a community where yarn lovers gather to chat, ask for help, show off their work, and more. :hook

Crochetville, a community where yarn lovers gather to chat, ask for help, show off their work, and more. :hook

Ok hold on one second -- yarn lovers???!!! :think:D;)

I could fit all the yarn I own into a regular size plastic grocery bag.

In other words, I'm a threadie.

So how about fiber lovers instead? :yes:hook

Or perhaps since by far the majority love yarn, it would be best to represent the majority and go with your exact phrasing...

Amy,

I would make sure to point out that membership is free..

Good idea.

The following wording would be too simple for a nice writeup, but when I mention C'ville in my Crochet Pattern Central emails, I state it is a "large, friendly, and free" crochet community/forum.

Not that we don't love knitters - both exclusive and "ambifiberous" :U - but maybe saying "Crochet lovers" or "Lovers of the art of crochet" or some such instead of "yarn lovers" or "fiber lovers"...

Maybe "For all who love crochet / in all of its forms. / Whether you've just begun to learn or are a seasoned pro; whether you're interested in the social or technical aspects of crochet; blah blah blah otherexamples /

This is the forum for you."

Now, since the name of the group is Crochetville, you would think this would be enough, but I have been in marketing long enough to know that it's just not the case!

May I assume Crochetville is a nonprofit? If so there would be/should be reduced rates for advertising in the crochet magazines (and even the knitting etc) publications. I also read once upon a time that search engines will move you closer to the top for a fee.....(probably not affordable!)

MY LYSes do not have bulletin boards, so something that's posted where people tear off strips would not work in those examples. Besides, personally, I always find I'm losing those little strips. I'd much rather have a half-sheet advertisement that I can toss in my purse and pull out later when I'm in front of the computer.

There are many free clipart sites and I'd recommend using some of that (unless we have a creative C'viller who can design something!) in addition to the C'ville logo.

...my inflated two cents ....

Here's the quote from my siggy:

Crocheting keeps you regular:

Feed your fiber addiction!

I just came up with it one day last week, and put it in my siggy, but you're welcome to use it as a catch phrase if you like!! :hook

May I assume Crochetville is a nonprofit?

Actually, no, Crochetville is not a nonprofit organization. To do so, you have to fill out special forms to receive designation as a 501©3 certified nonprofit organization through the IRS and you usually also have to incorporate as a non-profit organization through a state's Secretary of State office.

Right now, Crochetville is just a message board that belongs to Donna.

This is a wonderful idea! I like the simple description, maybe a rhyme, so it would be easy to remember. However, I am not the one to come up with a ditty, so ignore me, just a brain blip!

But, here is my description-

Crochetville.org ~ A friendly, informative place to share the love of crochet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the tear off strip idea, too.

I think it should be bold & eye-catching, without too much extra stuff on the page. They can find that when they get to the site...

But you'll need something big that will stand out, like if someone is walking past it would catch them out of the corner of their eye.

Maybe CROCHET really big in the middle, or something. I know a couple of the reasons I joined the site were to get help with crochet, and when I found out about the CAL's I was hooked! :hook (pun intended)

I was beginning to feel like everyone knitted (which I don't know how to do) and not that many crocheted, so when I found this site I was excited. There may be other crocheter's out there looking for a home and they can come home to the 'ville. (How'd you like that line, eh?) :lol

• 1 month later...
I like the tear off strip idea, too.

I think it should be bold & eye-catching, without too much extra stuff on the page. They can find that when they get to the site...

But you'll need something big that will stand out, like if someone is walking past it would catch them out of the corner of their eye.

Maybe CROCHET really big in the middle, or something. I know a couple of the reasons I joined the site were to get help with crochet, and when I found out about the CAL's I was hooked! :hook (pun intended)

I was beginning to feel like everyone knitted (which I don't know how to do) and not that many crocheted, so when I found this site I was excited. There may be other crocheter's out there looking for a home and they can come home to the 'ville. (How'd you like that line, eh?) :lol

I like this idea. Anybody know if this has been created yet? Would love to put up in my LYS.

Has anyone thought about making multi-lingual flyers like this,,,,but in the flyer,,,mention that the site is in English. It's just a thought,,,,me living in Italy,,,,there might be otehr crocheter's here,,,,,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

That's a fabulous idea! I've been asking people I've run across if they've found this site yet. Just last night I shared it with a newer crocheter. I also told her about Aggie May's pattern since she's never done an afghan and is looking for something quick and easy.

Archived