Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

Everyone is welcome to join, the more the merrier...The more people the more beautiful gahn's we get to see when everyone finishes. I'm bouncing between my sisters rectangle granny gahn and my b/f's aunts tartan that I am working on. Every time I turn around he comes up with someone else I need to make one for cause it is cheaper for him to buy me yarn to make something than it is for us to go out and buy everyone expensive stuff. Ugh my poor hands

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll try to get the latest pics of mine posted when I get back to my room. I'm in the library now waiting for the rest of my study group but I'll make a note to get the newest pics up when I get back that way.

Aw come on ,Andrea --- you know you wanna do it.

You are just waiting to be asked . Pretty please ?:flower

Melissa

It sounds like your boyfriend at least is enthusiastic about your crocheting ! That's a good thing. What colors are you doing the tartan in ? That sounds like an interesting pattern . Got any photos ?

Well--I finally picked my yarn and started on my afghan. I managed to get 6 rounds done this morning before work. It's coming along quite nicely and I will try to post a pic of my progress later tonight.

:waving Hey Julie....So nice to see you again....you were very missed here and I see you got this here on a roll...I will be joining pretty soon ...I have to finish up a baby ghan I'm working on....Welcome Back!!:hug

Hi my friend, Olga !

It is good to see you here too . It looks like this giant granny -ghan was a good idea, so congratulations to whoever started it . It seems to be a great success ! It is a real simple pattern and goes quickly, although the BIGGER it gets, the LONGER each round takes, but that's ok -- it's still a real fast -moving afghan .

What colors will you use, do you know yet ?

I am not so sure that this was a great idea as I have now found out I am addicted to making afghans.:eek No wonder people make them! You don't have to worry about them fitting and they are easy to do. I was on knitpicks last night picking out yarn for another afghan for me. Luckily dd is only a year old this month so her afghan isn't going to be too big. I have found myself looking through my patterns looking for afghan patterns. Sigh...... I am just addicted to crocheting I guess. Of course living in the Yukon means afghans come in handy!

Rachel

Andrea that is a really good question. I'm using a white one pound and 2 skeins of the purple colors. I'm hoping that I won't have to go out and buy more but hopefully someone will have an idea for us

wow if you bought 13 skeins I think I might need to go get a few more lol. I only have 2 of each color and a pound of white. Granted mine isn't being made for a bed just something my sister can use on the couch but i want it to be a decent size

I've been trying to figure out how much yarn it takes to do a giant rectangle.

It's been so long since I did one from brand new skeins...the last 4 or 5 that I did were scrap-a-ghans. (I have a LOT of scraps)

Last time I did a rectangle from brand new skeins, Red Heart was still producing the 8oz skeins.

If I had to guess, probably 4-6 skeins (Red Heart 8oz skeins) depending on how big you want it to be. But, I could be wrong.

A baby sized afghan probably wouldnt take much at all.

I guess I'll have to keep track of how much yarn I use on my next rectangle and add that info to my blog.

I am not so sure that this was a great idea as I have now found out I am addicted to making afghans.:eek No wonder people make them! You don't have to worry about them fitting and they are easy to do. ... Of course living in the Yukon means afghans come in handy!

Rachel

....and another one bites the dust! :heehee Welcome to the "maybe I can get away without doing a gauge swatch" club!

I got mine started in homespun rococo, will be working the next rows in sierra as soon as I can figure out which (unmarked mill ends) of my on-hand homespun is Sierra!

Wonder how much homespun AJ used for hers?

Hi Everyone,

I hope everybodies projects are going well. I just posted and update on my blog of my rectangle granny. It's going well so far.

I'm not sure how much yarn a regular granny square would take I don't think I've done a huge granny blanket before. I'm using baby yarn now . I started with somewhat new skiens and haven't had to get anymore yet.:) But I imagine it would take several to get it done. It depends on how thick the yarn is and what size hook your using.

:waving Hey Julie....So nice to see you again....you were very missed here and I see you got this here on a roll...I will be joining pretty soon ...I have to finish up a baby ghan I'm working on....Welcome Back!!:hug

Hi Olga!!

I am so happy to hear that you are going to be joining soon:clap :yay

I make afghans, because I know that it will keep the person nice & warm during the cold season:c9 and besides that, afghans last so much longer then a store-bought piece of clothing

Ok Iam fairley new here and was wondering if someone is wanting to see how many people they can get to make this rectangler granny square afghan :confused or what is going on :shrug If it is I want in :clap I have one that I have been working on and using the red heart camo yarn and also using dk. green in between every few rows. The only thing I don't like about the camo yarn is it is not as soft and it smells funny :worried

This is how far I've gotten, the size of this little granny is 32" x 20", I was kind of shocked, because I thought it was smaller then that:eek I guess I better make another pot of coffee:yes :hook ImageServer.jpg

corner-view.jpg

The bottom photo, is a corner view, I had to take these pictures in our bedroom, that's the only place, where I can get some good natural light.

The colors are RH super saver petal pink, RH super saver light rasberry, RH classic light berry, & RH super saver soft white.

Ok Iam fairley new here and was wondering if someone is wanting to see how many people they can get to make this rectangler granny square afghan :confused or what is going on :shrug If it is I want in :clap I have one that I have been working on and using the red heart camo yarn and also using dk. green in between every few rows. The only thing I don't like about the camo yarn is it is not as soft and it smells funny :worried

:welcome niqita, This is a giant rectangle granny crochet-a-long!! I hope you have a lot of fun in this one, I sure am!! I hope you have an accout with photobucket, so you can post your pictures as you go along!! it's a lot of fun to see each others granny's as they work on them

Natcat,

Nice rectangle granny, pretty colors. It reminds of this candy that has pink, white and brown in it I think. I think it's coconut flavored or something. I can't remember the name.

Very Nice!!:yay

Archived