Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Im Wendy from Australia, I have started a big granny rectangle Afghan.

I had a lot of trouble with it and realised by a friend at work that Im doing my squares wrong. My square was going all crooked and my friend said that to keep your square straight when you have finished a row turn it over and go back the other way. Does anyone else do this?

Anyway I restarted my rectangle doing the turn over at the end of the rows and its now straight I cant believe it..:cheer

I have now done about 20 rows and want to see how big I can make it.

When I have worked out how to put the photo on here I will show you.

Wendy

Wow, this place has been hopping ! I will answer all of the past replies all in one :

Ines- it is SO good to see you .I have missed you a lot . Your quilt-ghans are GORGEOUS, as always . You sure have a talent for them , I know that !

Nat -You sound like me, I always have so many NEW ideas and projects in my head... to me, it is really hard to accomplish all of them . It's like my brain goes on YARN overload .

I wish you success in completing them all and it looks like you are off to a great start !

Tabby -you ornery thing you . I JUST finish one and you try to talk me into making another one ! I don't know if that will happen or not. I'm knocking around several ideas right now and trying to figure out which one to tackle next .

By the way, I am AMAZED that your husband moved around your living room furniture. Mine would never do that ! ( maybe because I move it so much, he doesn't get the chance ) ,but he is pretty much satisfied with everything the way it is and never seems to comment whether his chair is in one corner or another. I could probably set it out in the yard and he'd sit in it as long as it wasn't too cold out. He doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to where the furniture is .

I don't blame you for being upset about having the fish tank parked on your yarn .The first thing I thought was OH NO .... I hope it doesn't get a LEAK, or you are gonna be madder than a wet hen, with wet yarn !!!!

NSS - Thank you for the compliments !

Olga- you are off to a beautiful start -- you know I love greens, so it is looking beautiful .

Wendy- I just read on a web page the other day someplace about granny squares and it says you can turn them at the end of each round if you want to, so I don't see why it would hurt ! As long as it is working for you, that's all that matters ! Good luck :)

Hi Aussie,

I've done it that way for years, that's how I was taught. But I read awhile back on some other pattern that when you join that row with the beginning, just slip stitch in the next 2 double crochets and slip stitch in between the double crochet group and then chain 3 and do 2 more double crochets in the same stitch and then continue like you normally would.

Either way you do it they look good, the only difference is when you do it the other way all your stitches are facing the same way.

It sounds like yours is going well, so keep up the good work:cheer

OK TABBY :yes

You talked me into it. What did I do, but just go buy yarn for rectangle granny number 2 .

Where is my WILLPOWER ? :ohdear

Oh well, this one is fun and easy, no sewing a bunch of stuff together, so it isn't bad at all !

I'm making the second one in blues and browns . Will have to go down and read the label colors. I know one is a real dark chocolate brown .

I also signed up for a scallop ripple -along . :bang

These along groups are just TOO tempting . Kinda like someone sitting a VAT of GRAVY and a washtub full of biscuits in front of me .

:D

Julie Kay--I can't wait to see the new one you are making. Those are my two favorite colors.

I am still working away on mine but I have a few irons in the fire right now. I am making mine out of Yarn bee fleece lite (very close to homespun) and since it is raining outside it's going to be a crochet day.

I am really enjoying the pics of the finished ghans that are being posted.

Here's my latest:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/witchyrobyn/DCFC0003.jpg

It's in Harry Potter Slytherin colors and about halfway done.

I'd probably be further along, but my darling boyfriend thinks I crochet are too much and started to keep me distracted when we're in my room. Of course, when he crochets, there is no such thing as too much. *sigh* Men.

Olga~Beautiful start, love the colors. Good to see you in here with us! :cheer

Robyn~Great granny, the colors are nice. I second what you said, "MEN" *sigh*. HeeHee!

Julie~LOL, I'm so glad you got a taste of your own medicine being sucked in to one of these CALS. It serves you right batgirl. :tryme:devil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I was able to work on mine for a bit last night & finished up that one skein of variegated. I also got two rounds of tan on & 4-5 rounds of country blue. I'm doing the dreaded laundry right now, but when I finish up i'll take a pic. and post it. Have a great one! :manyheart

Hi Miranda

I hardly ever make anything with blue, so this will be a rare occasion. I liked the blues and browns together so hopefully it'll be pretty. Someone else in here is making one with blues and browns ( with a variegated ) and I thought it was so pretty, so I am KINDA copying of them, but I don't have a variegated and may not have the exact shades of the other colors they do . I'll post a picture when I get a good start on it .

Robyn -- I have only read the first Harry Potter book ,so I'm not familiar with the colors you mentioned, but it IS pretty ! I am also partial to anything with greens and I like greens and browns together. They remind me of the woods .

Tabby

Batgirl here. It sounds like you are getting a good start on yours too. I'll be watching for photos later today when you get the time . How's the illness in your house ? Is everyone improving or still sick ?

http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot.com/2006/01/granny-square-pattern-with-pictures.html

this is the link for the rectangle granny square that seems to be so popular

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/01granny/grannysquare.shtml

and this is just a regular granny square that you can make big

Hi Rachel

For the one I just finished for my grandson, I just made a row of sc around the entire thing for the edging, but it was for a boy .

Maybe for a more girly-looking edging, you could do small shells or even like a row of sc around, then a chain 3, skip one, sc into the next stitch ,ch 3, etc , just to make a little frilly looking edging .

Here are the pics. I promised yesterday. Sorry about the quality of the pics, but all I have to work with is a webcam & I can't even fit the whole thing in one pic. Anywhoo, i've come farther then that since this was taken. I've done one more skein of country blue, 2 rounds of tan & started the windsor blue. After that i'll use a lighter blue variegated. I'm only using my stash so the color scheme isn't all that great, but that's why it's for the hubby, lol. I'm only de-stashing so I can re-stash. :devil

Pics. are clickable, Thanks for looking!

th_145232.jpg

th_144924.jpg

Well its 11.30pm monday night but I thought I should drop in and say hi to

everyone. I did a few rows tonight while watching Grey's Anatomy. I just love that show.

Its taking longer to get a row finished now but I want to persist and try and make it huge.

Turning over my work after every row has made the rectangle stay straight but Im not sure I like how the stitches are not the same way.... hmmm Im not starting again..

Robyn: I love the green you are using its looking good.

Olga: I love yours as well great colors.

Dianna: I went to your blog site and your baby blankets are fantastic

Can anyone tell me how to post a photo on here. I would like to share what I have done so far.

Well gotta go. Catch you all tomorrow.

Wendy

Tabby

Very pretty ! I like the colors, they look nice together . Good work, you are just whipping right along now !

You know, I just heard a rule someplace that if you finish THIS one before I finish MY next one, you have to start another one to work along with me .

Have you ever heard that rule before ?:think

Thanks Julie! ROFLMBO! :eek Yeah, so I guess I better start snailing along here. I've already started slowing down now that every round takes forever. I'm also going to have both this & the ripple going at the same time so i'm sure i'll be much slower then you. You are the ghan queen, you can whip em up faster then I can think of colors, LOL. Anywhoo, how's yours coming along?

I am done dd's afghan but am not sure how to edge it. What has everyone else done? It is pink variegated and violet so quite girly. I have been looking at different options and still can't decide.:think

Well onto the next one....:D

Rachel

One of my favorite "girly" edgings is where you create a frilled/potato chip edge by round 1 of single crochet, followed by round 2 of putting two stitches into every stitch in the previous round, followed by round 3 of *two stitches in next stitch, stitch in next stitch* repeat from * to * around, finish off. You can make it even frillier by adding additional rounds of the 3rd round pattern. the stitches for rounds 2 and 3 can be single crochet, or half-double crochet. Go 'round corners with the usual 3 stitches in each corner-most stitch. (I don't try to make the corners frilly with extra stitches, but it would probably work...) this is from memory, so if anyone recognizes what I'm describing, and i've made a mistake, please point out any corrections.

Tab

Mine is coming along ok. I have no clue how many rows are done. I haven't counted them, but not nearly as many as yours, by the looks of your pictures . Mine is maybe ( just a guess here ) about 14 inches across and about 28 inches long ?

I don't know, just guessing. It's laying downstairs and I'm too lazy to go count. I need to post a photo of it since I have all 4 of the colors on it now so you can at least tell what the colors will look like together .

Maybe we should both sign up for every CAL they have open, then we will both work really SLOW on all of them. That way ,we will never finish one, that way, nobody will have to make 13 of the same afghan waiting on the other one to finish one . WADDYA THINK ,Calamity ?:D

Well....I finished one of my wip and I got started on my granny...this is how far along I am....

th_grannyrectangle.jpg

Olga:clap

your granny looks so pretty, you are doing a great job on it:yes :manyheart:hook

Archived