Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

I am sorry if my question is dumb:( can I use any granny square and just keep going? Or is thier other patterns besides the one listed? I ownt ask any more if noone wants to answer

Use any granny square pattern that you like. If you pick one and it doesnt work for you, you can always frog it and start over. (gotta love that about crochet)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ty for answering, i really want to try this project

Hi laura! The very first thing I ever made was a huge granny square throw. I started crocheting and kept going and now the sucker fits my king sized bed:hook

laura sorry I didn't answer you my b/f had to go to NY and that left me home alone with a newborn who was cranky cause she didn't have daddy.

Needless to say i didn't get much done on my gahn this weekend but I'm hoping this week will calm down and we will be able to get some sort of steady schedual going so that I can find a little time to get this done.

How are all your gahns coming? Hope all is going good for ya guys

Hi Ladies

I am a long-lost c-ville member who has recently been lurking here, watching some of the CAL's in progress . This one sounds like so much fun . I would like to join in. I started last night , using this pattern :

http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/rectgranny.html

I am using RH in sport weight in all the brightest colors I can find , and would like to make it big enough for my 4 year old grandson's bed .I just finished the first color, a bright green( green is my favorite color ) . Next will be purple, since that is his favorite color .

Hope to post photos as the work progresses a little further .

Hello everyone! I've never heard of the rectangular granny but it sure does look neat. However, i'll have to save that one for another time. I started a granny square ghan on Wed. and am now half way done with it so i'll stick with it. I'm making it for my sons preschool teachers Dad, he only has 2-8 weeks to live so I definitely have to get it done ASAP. I hope no one minds me jumping in here with you all. I think when i'm finished I will start the rectangular one, probably by Monday or Tuesday. I'm so glad to be crocheting with all of you, it sounds like alot of fun.

:ghost ~ Tabby ~ :jack

Thanks Julie, nice to see you too. When you mentioned it was one big square I thought well isn't that great it's just what i'm working on now, heehee. I thought I would do it for myself, maybe for my bed. I do have all of that rose colored yarn that I was doing my filet in before I frogged it & quit, LOL. So, i'm not really sure yet but maybe the rose and something else. I know I want to make my twins ghans too, so maybe i'll do them each a rectangle granny. I just want to make them something simple and warm so this might just be the perfect thing. Hmmmmm........now you have my wheels a turning. You always did have that effect on me :blush . Now i'll have to get yarn shopping, ones favorite color is red and the other blue so maybe different shades of each.

What colors are you using? Who are you making yours for?

Hi Tab-

Well, it sounds like your wheels are spinning then, thinking up some good colors already. This is a REALLY great pattern for a bedspread, since it is so easy to do and you can keep going til it's the size you need. The rose sounds pretty . I'm trying to think what other color you might wanna go with. Do you have certain colors in your bedroom that would go with the rose ?

And your boys would probably love their own bedpsreads in their own favorite colors, shades of red and blue sound pretty.

Let us know what you pick out .

I am making mine for Cam - he loves bright colors, so I'm going with all the neon-bright colors like lime green, purple, orange, red, etc. I am just using all one skein til I run out , then starting with the next, so it really won't have much of a pattern to it, just whatever color I add next .

I'll post a photo when I get a little bit farther on it. So far, I have the green center done, and just started on the purple .

Thanks for coming on over ! It's good to have a pal in here . I hope we get to know some of the other new ladies too . :)

Here is mine so far for dd. It is a little slow going as I am making the Citrine skirt and Interweave has just got back to me with corrections (all that time wasted trying to figure things out and I could have been working on this).

I am doing this band of purple and then going back to the pink/soft purple multi-colour.

Picture22.jpg

I like it so far and it is such a relaxing project to crochet.

Rachel

It is relaxing, Rachel! :c9 Tabby, mine is a square, too. I think I like that traditional look, but may try the rectangular one for my SIL. My colors are taupe and burgundy, with a row of black between each color.:)

Rachel,

your afghan is very pretty. I like the colors. I am guessing that shades of purple must be your favorite, due to your name and blog name ? Also the afghan has shades of purple !

What kind of yarn is the first color you used, is it a variegated ? The color doesn't look familiar to me .

And yes, this pattern is definitely relaxing -not a lot of reading instructions for this one -- once you get the center done, it's all just repeat until it is big enough or you get tired of working on it ! :)

Rachel~Beautiful start, the colors are very pretty.

Julie~I'm sure Cam will love it. He must have a ton of ghans from you. You just made him the star not too long ago, right? Never can have too many ghans from grandma. Can't wait to see it.

As far as my square one, I am officially done. I just finished the reverse sc border about an hour ago. I will have to take pics tomm. because the light will be better. It's not really big, just a comfort/lap ghan. I went until the colors I had ran out.

I can't wait to see everyone else's progress. All of your colors sound beautiful. I hope to get the yarn to start my rectangular granny tomm. evening.

Have a great night! :manyheart

Hi Tab -

Yea, Cam has a few afghans from me. I made him some when he was a baby, then make him a new one ever so often as he grows . His mom has the star one I made on a round tv chair he sits in .This one ,I hope to make big enough for his bed now .

Let me know what colors you pick tomorrow !

my rectangle granny so far: (I am a very bad photographer...)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/ankey1110/crochet008.jpg

How does it look?

I've done 9.5 rounds an my pattern is 3 rounds dark green, 2 rounds white, 3 rounds dark navy, 2 rounds white. This afghan is going to be my little sister's christmas gift - she's in high school right now and her school's colors are forest green, navy and white. Since this is getting to be a large project that i can't take around with me on the bus, I've only been working on it during the weekend. I hope I can finish it in time for christmas!

Hi Ankey

Looks like you have a good start on it. You should have it done by Christmas with no trouble, just try to work on it at least a little bit each day. Before you know it, it'll be done ! These go pretty fast in the beginning. Of course, the larger you make it, the slower each round goes !

I think I am going to start a rectangle granny....I had a ripple started had almost 3 1/2 skiens worked up and frogged it today cause it was going to take me forever to finish....my dh is upset with me cause I tore his blanket apart but I wasn't interested in finishing it and it's not the first blanket I have started for him and frogged so wish me luck....it's supposed to be queen size plus when finished

Dew-

Here's wishing you luck .Don't worry about the frogging. I have done that plenty of times myself, if you start something and don't like the way it is turning out, or the colors don't look right wit hthat pattern, then there's nothing wrong with changing your mind-

So good luck with your rectangle granny ! What colors are you using ?

Hi Julie and Tabby:cheer

Is the afghan you are talking about the diagonal?

If theres a picture I cant see it .

My puter is acting up so I might get knocked of anytime

Good to see ya both I look at a few different boards.

I just finished a granny square 20 10 in blocks sewed together.

Andrea

Oops sorry for not explaining better

I made 20 blocks 10 inches each from scraps and sewed them 5 x 4

The border color is light sage.

My puter is acting up but I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Archived