Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone for such sweet compliaments, I really appreciate it, :hug I am almost done with this one, it's for our great grandaughter, she is 1 1/2 yrs. old, so she doesn't need a giant one, but our son and his family will, so I have 4 more :eek to do, eeeekkkkk !!!!!

I've been looking through some patterns for edgig my gahn and haven't found anything that screams use me. Anyone have any ideas for a good boorder to go around one of these. This is for my 18 yr old sister, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy just something simple and nice to make it look complete. Any suggestions would be appreciated =o)

Hope you are all doing good on your gahn's and hoping that we'll get to see some pics soon. I am just about to pull mine out for the first time today I've gotten quite a few more rows done since I posted my pics I'm hoping to get a few more done before my daughter wakes up again then I'll post another picture. I still have to pic out colors for the newest gahn I have to make and can't wait to get started on my next one. I am so excited about these I love how quick they go and the fact that I can do it while paying very little attention makes it perfect to take places with me. I got at least 5 rows done sitting in my truck at our local hang out the other night while people came over and talked to me and asked "oh my god, are you really crocheting? That is such a granny thing!!" lol.

Hi Mellibean!! what I've been doing, when I get to that stage, ( I use either a "G" or an "H" hook) I crochet the first row with a single crochet stitches, & 3SC+CH1+DC3+CH1 in each corner space(only in the first row corner space; then I go around again, & make all DC this time,in BOTH loops on the second row, and when I get to the corners, I make 3 DC(if the corner seems like it is too tight to make a square corner to move like it should, make 1 more DC) just in the corner loops( it helps to make it turn the way it should). Nothing really fancy, but it seems to hold the shape of the granny pretty good.

I hope that helps a little

Hi Olga!!

I am so happy to hear that you are going to be joining soon:clap :yay

:wavingHey Carol....Yeah....I'm gonna join sooner than I thought. Im gonna see if I can get my yarns tomorrow...If I get the chance to go to Walmart tomorrow. Kids don't have school tomorrow so guess who gets to baby sit:think ......none other.:lol

Carol...I didn't see you granny before I posted so I came back and edited to tell you how great your ghan is looking...I love the colors.

I'm sorry, i'm still here. I just have had some stuff going on & haven't been able to get the yarn yet. I still plan on doing the rectangular granny, maybe i'll get the yarn this weekend if all goes well. :hook

Julie~I swear I didn't leave ya. I tried to send ya a PM but I guess you don't except them. But, i'm here and plan to be for awhile. How are ya doing on Cam's blankie? Hope all is well. :hug

Everyone else's ghans looks great. :clap

Hi Carol

Thanks for the welcome ! It sounds like you will be busy with these afghans for a long time to come. Do you have colors figured out yet for the others, or are you just thinking of one at a time right now ?

Tab- Sorry, I had my message and mail thing clicked off, but went in and turned it back on today.

Hope to hear from you soon .:)

Cam's afghan is going well , I ended up doing a round of black between the colors to give it a little different look ,and have the green and purple both done . Just started on orange this morning . I'll have to dig out the camera and post a photo if i can remember how to do it .

...Got a ton of homespun in various colors, and AJ and knit errant's sierra/rococco combo afghans made in Erin's pattern look gorgeous! You can almost see the softness.... (and if folks like a pastel colorway, check out snarflemarfle's 'ghan from Erin's pattern: http://snarfle.blogspot.com/2006/09/i-have-finished-another-baby-blanket.html. While you're drooling over AJ's giant granny, make sure you browse her other 'ghans on the same page , including another rectangle granny in blues/greens - made me want to try each one!:nworthy)...

Hi all! I saw that several people visited my blog from this site, so I thought I'd check it out!

I'm working on another baby blanket using Erin's pattern. It's with Red Heart Baby Clouds yarn. It's going really quickly with a big hook! That's good because my friend is going to be induced on the 23rd!

Anyway, I'm off to check out the rest of the forums!

Hi Julie~The black sounds like a great idea. Just sitting here thinking about it, I bet it makes the colors stand out even more. I can't wait to see pics., i'm sure it's beautiful. :yes

I'm thinking about going upstairs and seeing what colors I have laying around waiting for a home, so maybe I can get started on one just for fun. I could always make it for my hubby since I have yet to make him a ghan of his own. He uses my quilt ghan that took me 3-4 months to complete & I could kill him when he does, lol. :eek

musicmarth~Welcome & good luck on your baby blankie. We always love to see pics. if you have any to share. :D

You guys are driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I am trying so hard to make my sister a Mile a Minute afghan for christmas (it's my first MAM) and every darn day I come here and even more people are joining this CAL. I want to make a granny too!!! :hook

I am NOT looking at this thread again until my MAM is done, Im NOT:no (but when I do, I want to make a homespun granny lol)

Hi Ho Tab !

Yea, I'd dig out all your stash colors and see what you can come up with for your other half, so he stops using your prized afghan that took so long and made you sweat bullets to finish !

He won't care what colors you use, just pull out some and get a good start on it. You'll probably have to make it big to cover him up completely ,so get ready for a lot of rounds ! The first ones go quick, but then they get slower and SLOWER , the bigger it gets .

Let me know what you come up with !:manyheart

and Wendy -- go ahead, you know you want in. You are hooked already if you already have the yarn type in your head ! Might as well jump in feet first . :D

Natcat,

Nice rectangle granny, pretty colors. It reminds of this candy that has pink, white and brown in it I think. I think it's coconut flavored or something. I can't remember the name.

Very Nice!!:yay

I know just the candy you mean! It's made by Brach's and is usually part of those bag-and-weigh-your-own candy display in grocery stores. I always picked a lot of these when getting a bag! I think it may be called neapolitan or something like that - definitely made w/ cococut. Thanks for the memory trip :D

Carol, the granny is turning out gorgeous! (now all you have to do is make sure it doesn't get eaten when your back is turned :lol)

Sorted and identified the homespun stash - it's amazingly difficult to tell some of those colorways apart :eek. Mill ends are lots cheaper than buying homespun in banded skeins, but at least the bands told you what the color name was! Also, I can see I'll need to treat them as scrap yarn, as the dye lot varies so much from skein to skein. Oh well, it's an adventure, not a problem! I found the sierra, and will be able to resume adding rows to mine tonight. Have I mentioned how much I love working in chain spaces when using homespun? makes all the difference in the world... (and so does using a K hook). First time I tried homespun, I used an H (shudder). Almost swore off the stuff permanently. Fortunately, got advice here at the 'ville to try again with a bigger hook. Much better experience the second time around.

I got my "Crochet Pocket Reference" when I got a subscription for Crochet! magazine and it gives measurements for different size afghans. It says for a coverlet/comforter queen size it should be 90"x95" and for a bedspread it should be 102"x120". I know somewhere in this thread someone was asking so if you still need to know that is what they say. For a toddler it says 35"x40"-45" so I am modifying dd's afghan and putting more purple stripes in it so it will be wide enough. I want it to last her for a while (and then I suppose it will be used for her dolls afterwards). I had no clue as to what size it should be so it is nice to have some guidelines.

HTH

Rachel

Julie~It looks great. It looks very Halloweeny right now with those colors. I'm sure Cam is going to love it, ecspecially since it's from you. :manyheart

Jaden is sick right now so i'll start mine after bedtime tonight or maybe tomm. if he feels better, we'll see. I haven't lost hope yet, lol.

Rachel

Thanks for the measurements-- that does help !

Tabby - Sorry to hear poor Jaden is sick, is it that same cold that you had ? I hear it is going around really bad right now. Luckily we havent gotten it yet ,but we're not around very many kids, other than Cam . I hope he doesnt get it, but being in preschool this year, he will probably get lots of things like that .

Hope you get some time to start yours tonite-- and yea, these colors do remind me of Halloween, which Cam LOVES -- he loves scarey stories and talking about ghosts and all the Halloween stuff . His dad was the same way when he was little .Have a good night and I hope you and Jaden can get some rest.

Thanks Julie! And yep, it's the same cold that I STILL have. It has gotten better but it's been 2 and a half weeks for me, 3 on Sat. Jaden started with his last Wed. & I thought oh wow i'm lucky he just has a runny nose. Wrong, he started with this horrible cough last night that is so bad he ends up vomiting. So, yeah lucky me. I've been giving him the nebulizer but it doesn't seem to help & he hates it so he just gets all worked up. Hopefully, he'll wake up a bit better. He's driving his dad nuts right now *evil giggles* :devil I love it. :lol

Okay, sorry for the chatter. LOL, did I ever mention i'm a chatterbox.:yes

Boy, Tabby

That stuff sounds nasty. My DIL works for a doctors office and they have had TONS of people in with that stuff- they say it's viral and just has to work itself through your system . Not much they can do for it I guess .

Give him lots of popsicles, maybe that will make his throat feel better .

And if you think YOU are a chatterbox, I'd hate to see what that makes ME !!!!:blah :blah :blah

hi guys i'm starting mine i'm on the 12th row allready i'll have a pic up tomorrow! the afghan is done in Bernat softee chunky yarn i just love the way it feels! the center is done in the Nature's way (blue, brown and white verigated) the next three rows are done in the True Taupe and the next three after that are done in the New denim heather, after that i'm doing three rounds in Denim Ragg and then 3 rounds in black and starting back up with the Natures way etc it should be a nice warm afghan i'm doing the rectangle one and with 12 rows its pretty easy so far its getting harder though :) ill show yall a pic tomorrow

my biggest set back on this one is it has gotten too big to take with me to do in my car while I am hanging out with my friends. But we are making progress on it. I'm really hoping my daughter will allow me to to take pics and actually post them cause she has been an attention hog lately. although she loves to lay on me while I crochet afghans cause I can cover both of us with it while I work lol

OK...I'm in....I made it to Walmart and got my yarns ( an a couple other things....) I'm making mine in light sage , aspen print , aran and frosty green. The colors were chosen by my DH . I think he did a good job. I already started it but since im jumping in between projects....I do a little here and a little there. There's 3 projects im jumping in between but one is almost done. Anyway...im in the granny crowd!!

:clapYippee! I actually got to start mine last night. I've used up almost 1 skein already. i haven't had time to work on it yet today but maybe tonight after the little one is sleeping. I'll share a pic. when it gets a little farther along.:hook

Archived