Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

I've been looking through some patterns for edgig my gahn and haven't found anything that screams use me. Anyone have any ideas for a good boorder to go around one of these. This is for my 18 yr old sister, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy just something simple and nice to make it look complete. Any suggestions would be appreciated =o)

Hope you are all doing good on your gahn's and hoping that we'll get to see some pics soon. I am just about to pull mine out for the first time today I've gotten quite a few more rows done since I posted my pics I'm hoping to get a few more done before my daughter wakes up again then I'll post another picture. I still have to pic out colors for the newest gahn I have to make and can't wait to get started on my next one. I am so excited about these I love how quick they go and the fact that I can do it while paying very little attention makes it perfect to take places with me. I got at least 5 rows done sitting in my truck at our local hang out the other night while people came over and talked to me and asked "oh my god, are you really crocheting? That is such a granny thing!!" lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer Thanks for the suggestion on the rectangle granny. :cheer I put my mind to it and currently working on round 20. Using Claret, Linen and Navy Blue from Caron Pounders. Using the J hook makes it go a bit faster, current size is 23x36.

Will post picture when done.

:hook Kelly:hook

I was wondering why my blog had so many hits on it in the past couple of days... :)

For an edging, you can do just about anything. I'm usually fairly boring with the edgings on the rectangle. I'll just do a half double crochet around the edge at least once or twice. (usually do that in whatever color I was using when I finished the last round of double crochets)

I've done a fan stitch (sc, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, sc in next st). I usually have to fudge a little to get the fans to look right at the corners.

I've fringed one of these afghans (never again. I hate fringing) and when I did that, I just fringed the short ends instead of all the way around.

I dont normally do crochet-a-longs...not sure why. I might for this one (I've got a lot of scrap yarn that wants me to work with it) I've been taking a break from crocheting since injuring my left eye last month. I might just start a rectangle tomorrow.

A half double crochet in a couple of colours (or 3 shades of one colour) can be very nice especially if you work through back loops only. It is one of my favourite edges.

You can't go wrong with a simple Treble shell-stitch either.

thanks for the suggestions guys. I might try a fan stitch and if I don't like the way it turns out I'll do the half double crochet. Although i've never used that stitch before, can't hurt to learn something new =o)

Oh please do join us Erin I love crochet alongs they are fun and keep me focused on what I need to get done. although I did kind of put asid my 200 blocks book for the moment to get these done for xmas, pressies are more important than my own personal gahn

Looking good Robyn looking forward to seeing your other one =o)

Okay, here are two pics of the bigger one. They're not very good but the lighting in my room is horrible so pictures taken at night are usually bad.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/witchyrobyn/DCFC0001.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/witchyrobyn/DCFC0002.jpg

Maybe I'll actually get one of these finished some time soon. So far it looks like the baby-ghan will be first since that's the one I'm taking to classes with me today. I need more yarn for the bigger one but I'm not sure what color to use sicne I can't find the original color anywhere now.

Take some black yarn and do a round around the color you've got now, and then add a new color after that round. Everytime you change colors do a round of black before you change colors. If you dont like black, pick another color and do a round of it between each color change. It'll make the other colors in the afghan pop out.

I did a rectangle scrap-a-ghan last year where I used up a bunch of yarns where all the colors clashed with each other. What I did to make it all go together was use a neutral color inbetween each color change. (well,it wasnt exactly neutral, it was a pastel purple color) and the afghan turned out really cool looking.

Used up a small percentage of my scrap yarn (I have a LOT of scrap) and my dad loves the afghan. He snatched it away from me before I could decide who to give it to.

Sorry I only have use of my webcam but here are the two I am doing. DD is 1 at the end of the month so I was making her the pink and purple one but ds got all upset and he loved this yarn when I got it so I am making him one too.

Picture13.jpg

Just a start I know but hopefully they will be done in time.

Rachel

th_neonsquare.jpg

This is one that is a WIP done with Bernet Chunky in Neon Yellow, Hot Orange, Purple and Lime Green. Need to pick up more yarn in order to finish.

th_jeffintheworks.jpg

Here is the rectangle ghan done with Caron pounders, in Claret, Linen and Navy Blue.

Hope the pix come through

wow they all look so nice, I just got the yarn for the 3rd one I have to make for my b/f's aunt. Unfortunatly I have to do it in sports weight yarn I'm thinking it will take me forever to do it in an adult size with that weight yarn but it was the only way to get the colors I needed to match the room she will keep it in. Oh well glad I'm getting a decent start on things and can get my other two done early

wow they all look so nice, I just got the yarn for the 3rd one I have to make for my b/f's aunt. Unfortunatly I have to do it in sports weight yarn I'm thinking it will take me forever to do it in an adult size with that weight yarn but it was the only way to get the colors I needed to match the room she will keep it in. Oh well glad I'm getting a decent start on things and can get my other two done early

I made one in baby yarn (Cuddlesoft) about 10yrs ago. It went quickly, and I made it HUGE. (it wasnt for a baby, I just liked the color) I wish I had taken a picture of it to show. I didnt start taking pictures of my projects until maybe 5yrs ago.

Erin that makes me feel better cause i think i might be using cuddle soft or something similar, what size hook do you advise for that? i picked up a E but it was just an excuse to buy a new hook lol

oh...my sister is like 5 ft 3 in, how many rows would you suggeset making this gahn?

I have been wanting to make one of these also. I hope that's it's not too late to join this CAL. Can't wait to see all of your finished projects.

welcome to the cal :) can't wait to see yor gahn

Erin that makes me feel better cause i think i might be using cuddle soft or something similar, what size hook do you advise for that? i picked up a E but it was just an excuse to buy a new hook lol

oh...my sister is like 5 ft 3 in, how many rows would you suggeset making this gahn?

Whenever someone asks me that, I just tell them to use whatever hook feels good.

and as for size, I'm one of those people who will crochet until the afghan just "feels" finished. If I think it's done. It's done.

I know...kind of cheesy advice, but that's the way I do stuff for most of my projects.

Nope not too late at all. I'm on number 1 of 3 of these that I have to make so I'm gonna try to keep it running for a while. Look forward to seeing pics as you go along =o)

Erin, that is actually very good advice cause everyone has there own opinion of done, and things like that. I'll post pics tomorrow hopefully. I haven't even gotten to work on mine today my daughter hasn't been feeling well and there is nothing like a cranky, not feeling perfect infant to keep ya on your toes.

Erin, that is actually very good advice cause everyone has there own opinion of done, and things like that. I'll post pics tomorrow hopefully. I haven't even gotten to work on mine today my daughter hasn't been feeling well and there is nothing like a cranky, not feeling perfect infant to keep ya on your toes.

I just started a new rectangle. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the four 16 ounce skeins of Red Heart (cherry red) yarn that I bought over the weekend. I think I'm either going to do a xmas themed afghan (I have lots of green), or I'm going to do a weird variation on my scrap afghans. (3 rounds of red, to one round of scrap yarn...a different scrap color after every 3 rounds of red)

I just have to decide what to do before I have to change colors. I guess I better go check my supply of green yarn.

Hmmm I need an opinion from you guys. If I were to make one of these to be the size of a queen size bed would I be better off making a square one or a rectangle one? Or would it really not matter I'm trying to plan for the one I plan on making for myself I really want it for my bed just wasn't sure which would be a better shape for a queen size bed

Hmmm I need an opinion from you guys. If I were to make one of these to be the size of a queen size bed would I be better off making a square one or a rectangle one? Or would it really not matter I'm trying to plan for the one I plan on making for myself I really want it for my bed just wasn't sure which would be a better shape for a queen size bed

I would probably do square (i'm a square kinda gal:D)

I hope to start my afghan tonight!:hook

I was thinking the square would work out better for that purpose too. I hope you get to start and I hope I get to work on mine I'm going through withdrawl. Thankfully my daughter is feeling better so that should help me some

Archived