Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing some very good examples of giants done with homespun,I started mine the color"waterfall"and the other color is navy.About how many skeins of homepsun will it take to make one for a queen sized bed?

I do agree that household chores are always needing to be done...but I would rather crochet the day away-is there anyway to crochet faster??

I usually try to get my chores done first thing in the day and save crocheting for the evening.note I said try!

have

a wonderful weekend!

Chores...Yes, those things...I got my laundry done last night but I haven't picked up my room at all (what's the point, really; it's all books and yarn) but I do need to study for exams this weekend. I suppose that's what caffeine is for. :lol

Ooh, oooh, oooh! Can I play, too?? I have so much yarn it isn't even funny. I love the one-giant-granny pattern, think I need to make one for my sister. And my friend's new baby. And maybe my niece... ;)

I know that feeling Wendy but I think mine is more due to lack of time this past week than anything else. I'm using an I hook, but I'm also making it fairly large and it feels like it's going slow. Could be my lack of attention span.

After seeing some very good examples of giants done with homespun,I started mine the color"waterfall"and the other color is navy.About how many skeins of homepsun will it take to make one for a queen sized bed?

So far I've used about 7 skeins of homespun, and it's not at 5 feet yet.:think

So far I've used about 7 skeins of homespun, and it's not at 5 feet yet.:think

Ugh! Don't say THAT! :eek I'm hoping to get away with the 5 skeins I was able to get with coupons. Of course, I'm not looking to make one for a queen sized bed, more like full sized. Or at least, larger than a lapghan.

I hope all you guys are having fun with your squares....rectangles...I am getting there....slowly but surely....I'm hoping to finish soon cause I want to try my hand at a ripple .. And Carol....your afghan turned out sooooo pretty ..I love the way those colors came together..and your already workin on another one ...???? oh my sweet Jesus!! You are great at these.

Hey there Olga

Long time no see ! Maybe I'll catch you over at the ripple soon. I planned on being in there too, but got side tracked by ..... a few CAL's along the way ! :lol

Hey Julie...How are you today? Good I hope....na....I haven't gone nowhere....here I am crocheting away on my granny...Hoping to finish it soon...These cal's are great cause I think if I wasn't in this I wouldn't be dedicating so much time to it...lol....it's always good to get a little nudge here and there ...catch you guys later.:hook

Olga - I agree with you. Since I have found this site I am doing more crochet than ever before. I didnt realise how popular crochet was till I came to this site.

Debi - You say you have used 7 skeins already... wow how many grams is that. sorry in Australia we go by grams. Our balls of wool are usually 100grams each.

Julie - To your question before yes we say wool instead of yarn for everything whether it is acrylic or wool.

Hi to Tabby and Jen, how are you both.

Its a nice Sunday morning here, only 24 hours to go then the 3 day charity square along starts. I cant wait to see how many squares I do.

Wendy

Hello Wendy! Everything is peachy here, How about in your neck of the woods? :)

I made some good progress today while watching movies. I watched "Larry the Cable Guy-Health Inspector" and "The Lakehouse". Okay, so anyways about my ghan. I finished all of the blueberry print yarn I had, approx. 3-4 small skeins. I've also put on one round of windsor blue. It now measures 58 1/2" x 47". WOOT! Almost there! It is as big as me height wise & about 2 of me width wise. I have to finish up this skein of blue & then I have one more skein & wala i'll be finished. Hopefully tomm., but who knows since we have cubscouts again. *sigh* :think

Julie~Are you still out there? MIA is NOT an option. :D:lol:P Hope all is well. :hug

I haven't had much of a chance to work on my granny. I've been sick with a head cold since Wednesday and wasn't able to get anything for it until today. I didn't want to fight with bring it up to my bed, so I started working on the Monet ghan.

And I totally agree with this place being inspiration to getting things done. I probably wouldn't have started half the projects lying around my desk if it wasn't for the CALs.

Everything is great here Tabby. Its Sunday morning and my mum and dad are coming to spend the day which means watching Martha Marathon on Foxtel(cable) and doing my crochet. My mum is knitting a tablecloth. Its a great way to spend a sunday dont you think.:yes

Your ghan is huge isnt it. hmm I still have a way to go to catch up with you then. Can you post a pic when your done, I would love to see it.

Hi Robyn, hope your feeling better soon.

Wendy

CALS

giant granny square along

3 day charity square along - starts tomorrow

xmas present for mum-20 percent done

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted. I didn't do a whole lot on my rectangle granny for awhile. I was doing a couple of baby ponchos for my great neice, mittens for my son (first time) and a few other things. I think I was getting a little bored with the granny there for awhile. But My niece's boyfriends sister :whew:D is having a baby boy in February, so I thought that would be great for her and they are in town this weekend so I hurried up and got it done for her. I also made a hat to go with it. She liked it a lot. Here's a picture

th_10-28-06-RectangleGranny.jpg th_RectangleGranny3.jpg

So I guess I can scratch that off my list!

I like the other granny afghans I've seen so far they all look great! :cheer I'm not sure if I'll be starting another unless it's for a christmas gift, who knows:lol

Robyn~I hope you feel better soon. :D:yes

Wendy~It definitely sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday. I think my ghan is huge but I still have anorher skein & a half to be done. I will post a pic. as soon as it's done. I hope that's tomm. or the latest Monday. :cheer How big is yours? Are you making a huge one? Well good luck with you crocheting today.

ch2crochet~Great job, that's a beautiful baby ghan. :clap:cheer

ch2Crochet: beautiful!!!

I started mine, with two colors of Homespun that are leftovers from previous projects. One is dark purple, the other is light purple. i think this one will be for my niece. Got four rounds done last night, we'll see how much i can do tonight while watching TV!

Carol

what is the royal ripple , I have never heard of that one and what are the eight colors you are using ?

It sounds like you will be moving over to the ripple-along at some point. I would also like to do a ripple, but right now I need to finish what I started here and get a couple things done before moving on .

Hope we are over there at the same time !

Hi JulieKay

I finally found the thjread that has the 8 color Royal Ripple Afghan, I was afraid I couldn't find it!! I have all of the yarn, sitting on our other bed, ready for me to start it, anyway, it is, a ripple afghan with 8 different colors in it, and I bought the book at amazon.com, The name of it is "Red Heart Afghans & Crochet Classics "page 63"http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28340

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0848715136/sr=8-10/qid=1149559709/ref=pd_bbs_10/104-7755426-0602335?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I just love the look of this afghan, it's really pretty. I know it's been a while back, but I've been busy trying to make afghans for our family for christmas, so that got put back, but I'm still going to make it!!!the colors I'm going to use, are royal blue, blue, delft blue, light blue, burgundy, country rose, light rasberry, and petal pink !!

Tabby - I just measured mine and its 41inches x 31.5 inches and I have done 42 rows..still a way to go. Yes Im going to try and do a huge ghan. It takes ages to go round now so it will be slow.

Dianna - I love your ghan the colors are beautiful.

Yes Melissa its daylight saving here as well. We had to put our clocks forward an hour so we have lost some sleep, but hey now it will be light outside longer. I hope your boyfriend is feeling better soon.

I have to go and make tea now its 5.30pm and Im getting hungry..

Wendy

Hi Gang

Robyn- hope you are feeling better today 1

Wendy- hope you had a great Sunday -- ours is just starting . :)

Dianna - those baby colors are so pretty ! Nice work !

Tabby- keep on going. You should have some new yarn to work with in the next day or two, so try to wrap this whopper up if you can.

Wonkey- can't wait ti see your purples ! Sounds pretty .

Carol-thanks for finding the thread for that ripple- boy is that pretty !

Thanks for the get well wishes everyone. I am feeling a bit better. Now I can sit at the computer for a bit without getting a major headache. I'm planning on splitting my time today between crocheting on my rectangles, the Monet blocks, and studying for my exam tomorrow. Not sure how much of each I'll get done, but it's a good experiment to try.

Archived