Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

Very good Carol -

You are now on the home stretch ! Could you time yourself doing one round now to see how long it is taking ?

It'd be interesting to see how long it takes to get around the entire afghan when it is that big !

Hi JulieKaye!!

I sure will, let me get the rest of the blue finished, & start on the next blue, & I'll time myself, & post it:clap :cheer:hook:yes

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JulieKaye

I added the next color of blue, & from when I started it, until I got back around to the starting point, it too me 34 1/2 minutes:cheer :clap:hook

3 more rows, then I add the petal pink!!!

Hi Carol

Thanks for timing it ! I was just curious . I have another one of these started myself, but am not very far on it yet. When I get it a lot bigger, I'll have to time myself on one row around and see how long it takes .

Good luck on finishing up soon !

I bet you already have another idea floating around in there for your next project, don't you ?

Hi Carol

Thanks for timing it ! I was just curious . I have another one of these started myself, but am not very far on it yet. When I get it a lot bigger, I'll have to time myself on one row around and see how long it takes .

I bet you already have another idea floating around in there for your next project, don't you ?

Julie i'm sure we all do lol i have at least 12 Wips wanting to do more ! LOL i cant seem to put my crochet hooks down long enough to finnish unpacking ahhh help!!! LOL :hook :hook :yarn:cheer:c9

Hi Carol

Hi !!

We get up so early in the morning to get my DH off to work, that I usually lay down & take a short nap!! and yes, I sure do have my next project, right on our loveseat in the livingroom, it's going to be a yellow & white granny:manyheart , this next one I'm also going to make a smileyface in sugar ' n' cream cotton, & attach it to the middle of the afghan, our grandaughter in the blog photo really likes smiley faces!! that's the reason why I made her a pocket tissue cover in royal blue with a yellow edge & flower, and for the middle of the flower I sewed on a smiley face button!!well, I'm going to go get a bite for lunch & some iced tea, & crochet somw more..

I had just recently finished an afghan (I call them hugs) for my second cousin's 10th birthday using three strands of yarn and a Q hook. So I decided to do a granny square afghan using the Dark Orchid and Orchid and Aran yarn and then I came across this site and decided "hey, why not?" So count me in on this CAL. I hope hope hope to be able to get the pictures on here. Please bear with me though....

Wow, Tami

If I had that list of things below my name, they'd have to put me in the looney bin ! I couldn't keep up with that many things at once. I have trouble trying to keep myself motivated on ONE thing before moving on to the next . I wouldn't be good at all doing 10 or 15 things all at the same time. I salute you guys that can do that !:)

Carol- the yellow sounds very bright and cheery. It should be very pretty ! I haven't ever used much yellow, but have eyed it plenty of times trying to think of an idea .

Do you usually have the AFGHAN pattern in your head before going yarn shopping, or do you buy the yarn, THEN come home and pick out a pattern ? I usually need to have the pattern idea in my head first, then decide what yarn I want to use to go with it .

Melannie

Glad you dropped in here. This is such a nice group of ladies, they will make you feel right at home . The shades of purple sounds very pretty ! Is it for you or for a gift , or have you decided yet ?

Well, I'm still working on mine. I had expected to get it finished over the fall break from school, but didn't have the time. There are about 5 rounds left to do, so once i actually sit down and do them, it shouldn't take very long.

Carol~The yellow with the smiley sounds very cute & creative.

Robyn~Good luck!

Julie~You think you're swift, don't ya? :yes You know you're killing me with the dude's ghan because I always wanted to do one. Just evil you are, evil. :devil:yes

I still haven't been able to work on mine but I do have a blue & white variegated in my stash but am afraid it will look weird because there's no white in the rest of the ghan. What do ya'll think? Inquiring minds want to know. :hook

JulieKaye:rose

Most of the time, I know what colors I want to crochet an afghan with, like these grannies, they are easy, and they work up fast, if I get my back end up off of this chair:yes !!!, I have big plastic bags with skeins of yarn in each one of them, and for each bag, is going to be one afghan, and the peaches n' cream, & sugar n cream cotton???!!! I found out that walmart is carring it now, so I just had :eek:think to buy some, it's so pretty, & makes nice hot pads, and the sugar n cream, I also use to make doilies, which may sound different, but like I mentioned to my DH,if this doily pattern works up into a pretty doily, then great, or I'll look for a pattern that I can use the 4-ply cotton with!!! :c9

Melannie - Welcome to this cal. I cant wait to see the pics of your ghan the colors will look great together.

Carol - sounds like a great way to spend the day, crocheting and sipping on iced tea... I would love to join you but have to go to work... grrrr.

Tabby - I think the blue and white varigated would look good....

Well gotta go..

Carol

It sounds like you are very organized then if you have all the yarn for each afghan in a specific bag! Good idea . :hook

Hi Wendy and Robyn !:)

and Tabby

Yep, I DO think I'm swift and I think you WILL do the monet, seeing that a package of yarn will be on its way to you to begin it with . You don't want that yarn to go to waste, do you ? :D

Ok I did it I packed up the giant granny in my bag for the airplane ride to texas. So I will have to post more of what I have done after I return from Mexico. It is very likely I will finish it on my way down and give it away! I promise to take a photo. Mine is more of a scrappy gahn since I am using up a bunch of this and that

:lol Julie you are too much, but that's why I love ya. We're like two peas in a pod, a very evil pod. :devil:lol Thanks for the package, i'll yell when it comes. :hug

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will add some of that on & then some more windsor blue (Thanks again Julie). Then wala it should be finioso (yes, I watch way too much Dora). :lol I can't wait to get this done so I can move on to the next CAL. :yay:hook

That's the spirit, Tabby

There's a whole BUNCH of CAL's to do ! Look at that ever growing list !

By the time you get the yarn for Monet, you'll have either the ripple or the granny done , so that then you'll have time to start a new one !

I'll see what color strikes my fancy tomorrow .

JulieKay

I try to be organized, but sometimes it just doesn't work:eek I was going to use this yarn, for a different rainbow afghan, I believe it's called "Rainbow Waves Afghan" but I have the big granny bug:drool so that's what I did, I stole the yarn from another project, and used it for this one,

I still have the 8 color royal ripple to start & finish, and a ripple in black--white--gray--countrybluespeckle,(no matter what, I'm saving this for the ripple, even if I have to go to wally world & buy some more yarn:bounce

***Aussie: I used to work before I was disabled, with epilepsey ( I was a dental assistant and receptionist) , so now, I just crawl all over the kitchen floor when I clean it, and everytthing else I can see that needs to be cleaned, but??? right now, I'm crocheting, so tv?? Shhhhhhh, I need quiet:hook

Carol

what is the royal ripple , I have never heard of that one and what are the eight colors you are using ?

It sounds like you will be moving over to the ripple-along at some point. I would also like to do a ripple, but right now I need to finish what I started here and get a couple things done before moving on .

Hope we are over there at the same time !

Melannie

Glad you dropped in here. This is such a nice group of ladies, they will make you feel right at home . The shades of purple sounds very pretty ! Is it for you or for a gift , or have you decided yet ?

:devil Mine all mine....I decided that its ok to be self-indulgent and wickedly

selfish :devil this once because I definitely fell in love with the colors and

how the other hug turned out. Is it crazy of me to call afghans "hugs"?

Melannie

Good for you ! I think a lot of us here are guilty of making stuff for other people and never for ourselves. I know I am . Out of all the afghans I have ever made, I haven't KEPT any of them. I always give them away. I believe I may do the same as you one of these days and make something just for me . :)

Hi all,

This sounds fun. Has anyone noticed "The Afghan Squared" pattern on Lionbrand? I love those colors! Don't think I'd need to download the pattern, though. It takes 17 balls of Wool-Ease, BUT Joann online has Lionbrand Wool-Ease on sale and free shipping today, so I figured one could make this afghan for $30-something and not have to worry about the store carrying all the colors. Think I might try this one:

60202ada.jpg

Hi all,

This sounds fun. Has anyone noticed "The Afghan Squared" pattern on Lionbrand? I love those colors! Don't think I'd need to download the pattern, though. It takes 17 balls of Wool-Ease, BUT Joann online has Lionbrand Wool-Ease on sale and free shipping today, so I figured one could make this afghan for $30-something and not have to worry about the store carrying all the colors. Think I might try this one:

60202ada.jpg

a weaving we will go, a weaving we will go...:devil

(sorry! just couldn't help myself)

Kim

Very pretty ! Nope, I wouldnt pay for the pattern either, I'd just copy the photo and the list of colors needed and go from there on it . You can do it without a pattern. it looks pretty much like the online patterns everyone here is using .

Good luck and share a photo when you get a few rounds done ~

Kim~Very pretty ghan choice, good luck!

Julie~Thank You! And I still think you're evil.:devil:lol

I did decide to use the blueberry print yarn that I had. I got two rounds done on it last night but boy did it feel like it took forever, I think an hour. I was watching Dog though so that may have had me a little side tracked. :blush I love Leland. Okay, off track again heehee. :D I hope to get some more done this evening. :hook

Archived