Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for the giant granny makers. When you do multiple rounds of the same color you slip stitch to get to the corner. This eventually makes that place thicker. OR some people chain and turn. That way you chain and start in the same place. (Hope this is clear). I really prefer not turning though. When you change colors, will starting at a different corner compensate for the thick spot mentioned above?

Alice

I have a question for the giant granny makers. When you do multiple rounds of the same color you slip stitch to get to the corner. This eventually makes that place thicker. OR some people chain and turn. That way you chain and start in the same place. (Hope this is clear). I really prefer not turning though. When you change colors, will starting at a different corner compensate for the thick spot mentioned above?

Alice

I slip stitch to start the new round. I dont turn, and I've never really noticed a "thick" spot that needs to be compensated for.

When I slip stitch to get to the starting place for the new round, I go thru both loops of the stitches I'm slip stitching in...maybe that's why I dont notice a "thick" spot?

Hi Alice... I start the round with 3 stitches in the corner when I come round to the end of the round I do the other 3 stitches in the corner then do the chain to finish the round and there you go just do 3 chains and start again. This way was just shown to me and it makes it so much easier. No more slip stitching to the chains in the middle of the corner. I also turn my work and go back the other way it keeps your ghan straight.

Wendy

I love it Carol - very bright and cheery looking .

Robyn- what 2 colors are you using ? Just curious !

Wendy- you are doing great getting the hang of our crochet LINGO over here. I noticed, some of you call your yarn wool ,is it all actually wool, or is that just what you call it over there ?

and my hat is off to those of you using an E hook on this ! It'll be pretty and probably leave much smaller "holes" between the 3dc's !

and as far as the slip stitching to the corner : nope, it doesn't leave a big thick spot, it's barely noticeable ! :)

OR some people chain and turn. That way you chain and start in the same place.

I was thinking about this last night as I started my 'ghan. If I did the chain and turn, would that make the final ghan more "reversible" looking?

I'm making mine out of Homespun (against my will, *sigh*), in the Williamsburg colorway. I was able to use 5 coupons yesterday to get the yarn. I love JoAnn's!

Anyway, I'm using the Williamsburg because I figure it's kinda neutral enough for any decor. This ghan will be for our Christmas swap partner on DH's side of the family. I don't know who it is yet, so I tired to pick a colorway that would go with almost anything. :hook

Hi Jen

Yea, I guess you could say that, if you turn and work each row, it will look a little more reversible. If you keep going all in the same direction every round, you can definitely tell which is front and back. I think with Homespun it may not be quite as noticeable though, since that yarn is really thick and chunky-looking .

I think there are ladies doing this one both ways, so either way you like to do it is fine .:)

hehe Yeah, the colors work for me. I wanted to try out the color patterns for a series of Harry Potter ghans to give to my friends for the holidays. I think I have it the way I want now (after much arguing with myself) and will hopefully be able to get this one done between studying this weekend.

I haven't noticed a thick spot but I am using variagated yarn so the slip stitches are often a different colour than the dc stitches I am slip stitching over but I don't think it is noticable to anyone except another crocheter.

Earlier people were talking about never keeping their afghans and I ordered the jewel kit from knitpicks to make myself an afghan throw. I am not great at figuring out colours so I went with the yarn already picked this time and I think I will actually crochet the jewel coloured afghan they have in the picture as it looks so nice. Despite the fact I love the colour purple I never buy much purple stuff outside my bathroom. I think I should though and now that we have bought our first house and are starting to decorate from scratch maybe I will. Starting with this afghan...lol.

Rachel

Good for you Rachel -- show us a photo when you get YOUR afghan done !

I used to have my bathroom in lilac, but recently changed it to blue . It's fun changing the colors in your rooms once in awhile to give the place a new look ! Congrats on your first house ~

Melannie - your so funny, I can just see you going round to Julie's house and handcuffing her because she gave away another ghan....:lol

LOL Thank you! And while I am at it I will do chores too! HA HA What am I talking about? Crocheting is my second main priority. I am so like Bree on Desperate Housewives. There's a scary thought, eh?

Melannie

Doggone, come on over if you wanna do chores. There's a few dishes in the sink and one load of laundry that needs done . Not a whole lot here to do anymore since it's just the 2 of us.

Sorry, I don't watch Desperate Housewives so I don't know who the lady is you are talking about ! :lol

Thanks Wendy, for your method of avoiding the slip-stitch-to-the-corner. Sounds reasonably --as in: Why didn't I think of that! :-)

Off to try it out on some scrap yarn.

Alice

I somehow missed that and can't find it.:( Can someone direct me to the correct post?:hook

Julie - hehe put Melannie to work with your chores... hehe that will give you more time to crochet.....:lol

Debi - avoiding the slip stitch to the corner is something a lady at work told me and it makes it so much easier... You start the row in a corner do just 3 stitches, go right round and when you come the end do the other 3 stitches then your 2 chains into the first stitch and there the row is finished and all you have to then do is start the next row straight away. It eliminates the slip stitching to the chain corner... I hope this makes sense.

My daughter has tennis this morning at 8.30am so no crocheting till I get back around 11am.... but at least its saturday woo hoo no having to go to work....:cheer

Wendy

Archived