Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knitpicks has awesome wool! And it's half the price of Jo-ann's or Michael's. Of course, you have to wait for the shipping but...it's totally worth it.

I've felted many things, so I won't be joining this CAL, but I will be following along because I'm dying to know what you all are making! LoL

...the biggest reason I haven't tried felting is because I have a front load washing machine that locks the door. I've tried turning it off to retreive items during the course and had to start it all over because it wouldn't cancel and unlock the door!! grrrr...... so, I guess I'm going to be trying the plunger (brand new) in a 5 gallon bucket method. Hopefully that'll work.

Without opening the door, are you able to reset the wash cycle back to the beginning, so that you can repeat the wash cycle 2-3 times without draining and refilling?

The washing machine should be a top loading machine so you can pull your wool out during the agitation (wash) cycle to pull it into shape and throw back in the wash to agitate it some more.

Your dryer will not come into play as you do not throw your felted piece into the dryer - you let it air dry for a day and a half to two days.

If you have a front loading washer, if there's any way you can turn the knob to drain the water after 15-20 minutes of agitation so you can open the wash and take your piece out.

Hmm...I've always wanted to try felting. I saw a sample of a felted piece the other day and I was amazed at how sturdy it felt. (ha! "felt" No pun intended) :lol I crack myself up. hehe

Anyway, I really have too many projects going...but I think I'll join. A bag shouldn't take too long....right? :P

I can get my yarn anytime. Do you know when you'll post the pattern? Oh, I'm so curious about the pattern. :D:clap

I'll be watching this thread, ready to go! :hook

Without opening the door, are you able to reset the wash cycle back to the beginning, so that you can repeat the wash cycle 2-3 times without draining and refilling?

I'm not sure....I've never tried that in particular -- i can mess around with it a bit this week to see EXACTLY what I can & can't do.

I didn't mean to freak anyone out about their washing machines :eek ....it was just one experience I had with mine. :blush I'm sure with so many people felting out there that there HAS to be a trick to mine and all of the other front loaders.

I have a different style washer, and I don't know if I felt with it.

It doesn't have an agitator per se. :eek

Bought it new about 2 1/2 years ago and works great. I hope it works great; we spent nearly $1,000 on it (plus another grand on the dryer). It was the top of the line Maytag back then...and it just doesn't have an agitator.

Please don't ask me the chemestry behind my machine getting my clothes clean...it just does. :D

One other thing....I can stop the machine at any time...however I cannot open the door while it's in the wash cycle. I can open it before (when it's in soak), and I can open it afterwards (when it's in rinse). Does that make a difference?

I know it's possible.....so I Googled "crochet felt bucket" and came across this site that is very informative -- and I'm sure there are others out there too. Anyway, those of us with front loaders will just get a better upper body workout than the top loader girls :lol

--just a word of caution: with the word "bucket" in my search I ended up getting a lot of bucket hat / purse patterns but I wanted to get some manual felting directions -- you get better results with the word plunger. ;)

HTH

I've felted many times already... so I won't be joining. I will, however, be watching this thread and :cheer cheering :cheer you all on!

2 - 4 - 6 - 8 ! Felting gals are really great! goooooooo Felters! :cheer

I'll definately join in on this one. I'll get my yarn this weekend. Do you think we will be ready to start by october1? Just wondering when we're gna start. I'm not trying to rush anyone. I'm just excited. What colors is everyone doing? Is using fun fur easier to use with another yarn? I tried to make a scarf with just fun fur, but I didn't get far because I had a really hard time seeing my stitches.

I got Patons Classic Merino Wool in Natural Mix (beige color) for the main color and Grey Mix (Grey obviously) for the contrasting color. I picked colors that could go with anything since I have no idea what kind of bag were doing. This is such a nice yarn, I'm so used to the cheapy stuff that I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when I start crocheting with it! :lol

:hook I'm excited too!

Oh and I'm not using fun fur, hope that's ok.

Archived