Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

Hello ladies!! This crochet-along will be for those of us who have always wanted to felt but never really knew how to get started or go about felting. I just finished felting my second bag and am really enjoying the finished look! I had been wanting to try felting for over a year but it just seemed so foreign to me and I couldnt grasp exactly what needed to be done. Now after doing it, I realize it's SOOOO easy!!

So, what we will be doing is felting together! We'll all get our yarn, then start on the pattern at the same time, then felt at the same time (with my instructions), and share pictures of our finished pieces after they have dried for 2 days! We'll all do the same pattern (that I will write up, something super easy for a first felting project, but that you will want to use after it's done or give as a gift) so if there's any questions it will be a lot easier since we are all doing the same thing.

Who's up for the challenge? :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yarn: I need everyone to purchase a 100% wool yarn such as Patons Classic Wool Merino Yarn, or Lion Brand Wool yarn. Make sure that the wool yarn you purchase is NOT a superwash wool, and make sure it is not a blend of acrylics or other synthetics. It CAN be a wool/mohair blend since it is all animal fiber.

What you need for this pattern: 2 balls (3 oz. each) Main Color, 1 ball contrasting color, and optional fun fur or eyelash (nylon) yarn for pizzaz :)

P size crochet hook

This pattern will be worked with 2 strands of yarn held together.

Knitting Warehouse is a great place to buy yarn online. If you have a Hobby Lobby in the area though, they have Lion Wool yarn on sale for 3.88 a skein until uh... today. Luckily I found out about this sale just in time (about to buy online) and I was finally able to convince a friend to take me to buy yarn tomorrow morning. Hopefully they will have P-sized hooks there too...

Through today, Michaels has Patons Classic Wool yarn on sale for $3.77 (at least in so. California). What a bargain! I usually need about 3-4 skeins of Patons (100g/220yds) to make a large size bag. Now what colors don't I have???.....:D

Because this is a beginners felting crochet along, we will all work the same crochet pattern for the bag, and wash our bags at the same time with instructions on how to do so at that time. So we wont get started until most of us have our yarn and are ready to go.

I wanted those who have never tried felting before but have been wanting to try, to do this crochet-along to see it really is very easy to felt! :)

You can use a variegated wool yarn, yep.

I'd love to try this (been wanting to try felting for a while, now) butsince I'm at school now it's rather difficult to do. I might follow along and just do the felting when I'm home for weekends or a break, though!

I might join in? I will go and look at the yarn this week. I have wanted to learn. a P hook you say. ? Hum Have to put that on my list.

I love those hooks that are gold and have the flat neck Soft touch by clover. But, I don't see them in a P hook . I will look at AcMoores maybe. PINKROSES

Okay, I bought my yarn. I got black for the MC and grey for the CC. I'm not sure if I'll be using a fun fur or not?? This feels weird to me not knowing exactly what I'm making. I know it's a bag / purse - but do you have any (post) felted dimensions?? I don't mean to be a pain in the butt....I'm just curious.

And, the biggest reason I haven't tried felting is because I have a front load washing machine that locks the door. I've tried turning it off to retreive items during the course and had to start it all over because it wouldn't cancel and unlock the door!! grrrr...... so, I guess I'm going to be trying the plunger (brand new) in a 5 gallon bucket method. :shrug Hopefully that'll work.

Archived