Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

Was go completly crazy and unravel the entire skein. Yep, I unwound it all across my living room so it wouldn't get tangled and then grabbed the two end and wound them together into one ball.

It was madness but it worked and I didn't have any problems with it getting tangeled up.

When she told us what yarn to buy it said the entire bag would be worked with two strands held together so I had spent some time planning how I was going to work it.

I'm starting my bag as soon as I get home this evening!:hook

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the original post told us to order: 2 balls Main Color, 1 ball contrasting color

the pattern on the blog says to begin - Holding two strands of CC together

I know how to hold two strands together with two different skeins of yarn but how do I do that with the CC since there is only one skein :think

If you can find the start of the yarn inside the ball, use that and the one on the outside held together. That's what I did, and it is working well. Hope that helps.

Kim :princess

If you can find the start of the yarn inside the ball, use that and the one on the outside held together. That's what I did, and it is working well. Hope that helps.

Kim :princess

You know that would have made more sense then stringin my whole living room full of yarn... lol

Actualy I started to just double the yarn I bought and make two bags to knock out a Christmas present. But I thought I would wait and see how badly I mess this whole felting thing up first. lol

For the one skein of Contrasting Color, to hold two strands together, take one strand from the inside of the skein and the other strand from the outside of the skein, hold them together and work it that way - a little rough if you've not ever done it before but it gets much easier once you keep going and get the hang of it. For those who need a visual, I will post a picture today of what we're doing so far k? I dont want anyone getting discouraged, this is supposed to be fun and a great learning experience for felting :)

Theresa,

I am sooo with ya on that one :lol.

Chelle,

Sorry I didn't mean to sound discouraged, I'm sure the pattern is beautiful. I'm just not the best crocheter (YET :lol) and it just makes me nervous to start it without having a visual. I appreciate you posting a pic, that's so sweet! Thank you and I hope I didn't sound ungrateful. :blush

Hugs.

OK i must be really stupid. I cant find the pattern! i went to the blog and cant find it.....is there any way to post it here? I would like to get started but dont know on what........at least i have your wisdom on the 2 starand thing! oh where oh where has the pattern gone?

Has anyone completed the 10 rounds, I am confused on round 2 :eek

Round 2 - I did the hdc in each of the next 26 stitches - i dont have 3 stitches left as the instructions say to work the 2 hdcs. Then it says to hdc in each of the next 26 stitches - I am really missing something

:think

The bag is worked in the round, so for round 1 you are working completely around the starting chain (first working on one side of the chain, then continuing around to the other side of the chain until you reach the end chain where you do another hdc stitch, then join it to the top of the beginning chain 2 stitch (the 2 chains that were skipped at the very beginning). I can work one up and post a picture for more details :)

Hdc in 3rd chain from hook

intheround1.jpg

Hdc in each chain across to last chain, work 3 hdc in last chain

intheround2.jpg

intheround3.jpg

Continuing around chain, work hdc across to last chain

intheround4.jpg

Work hdc in last chain, join to beginning chain 2 stitch

intheround5.jpg

Chain 2, work hdc in same stitch as joining, work 2 hdc in next stitch, hdc in each of the next 26 stitches, work 2 hdc in each of the next 3 stitches, hdc in each of the next 26 stitches, work 2 hdc in last stitch, join. 64 hdc's made

intheround6.jpg

Is there anyway to post a picture of the completed project to get an idea of the project we are making? Just wondering. pinkroses

Because I had to rip out my progress twice and start again to get just the right size bag I was aiming for, and everyone was wanting to get started, I am posting the pattern as Im going (after making sure it's exactly what I want) - so I dont have the bag finished yet but am working as quickly as I can so I can finish it and give picture updates.

Ok I am back in this CAL maybe....*Chelle* is there anyway you can post the pattern here at the 'ville? I am not able to sit at the computer while I crochet, starts to bother my shoulder (torn rotator cuff) and if I have to frog it, I would like to have it in my hand.. Thanks

Felted Crochet Bag

By Chelle Grissam

Patons Classic Wool Merino (3 1/2 oz skeins)

2 skeins Main Color (MC)

1 skein Contrasting Color (CC)

P hook

Special Stitches

Hdc Decrease: [yarn over, insert hook in next st, yarn over, pull up loop] twice, yarn over, pull through all 5 lps on hook

Bag is worked holding 2 strands together throughout

Bag Body

Holding two strands of CC together, chain 30

Rnd 1: Hdc in 3rd chain from hook (skipped 2 chains counts as first hdc stitch) and in each chain across to last chain. Work 3 hdc's in last chain. Working across opposite side of chain, hdc in each chain across to last chain. Work 1 hdc in last chain, join with a slip stitch to top of beginning chain 2. ~ 58 hdc's made

Rnd 2: Ch 2, hdc in same stitch as joining, 2 hdc's in next stitch, hdc in each of the next 26 stitches, work 2 hdc's in each of the next 3 stitches, hdc in each of the next 26 stitches, work 2 hdc's in last stitch. Join to top of beginning chain 2. ~ 64 hdc's made

Rnds 3-4: Ch 2, work hdc in each stitch around. Join. ~ 64 hdc's made

Fasten Off CC. Join two strands of MC with a slip stitch in same stitch as joining.

Rnds 5-12: Ch 2, work hdc in each stitch around. Join.

Rnd 13: Ch 2, hdc in each of the next 8 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 29 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 22 stitches. Join ~ 62 hdc's made

Rnds 14-16: Ch 2, work hdc in each stitch around. Join.

Rnd 17: Ch 2, hdc in each of the next 9 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 30 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 18 stitches. Join ~ 60 hdc's made

Rnds 18-19: Ch 2, work hdc in each stitch around. Join.

Rnd 20: Ch 2, hdc in each of the next 11 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 29 stitches, work hdc decrease, hdc in each of the next 15 stitches. Join ~ 58 hdc's made

Rnds 21-22: Ch 2, work hdc in each stitch around. Join. After Rnd 22 turn work so you are working on the wrong side of the bag now.

Add 1 strand of fun fur (or eyelash) to the 2 strands of wool yarn (change to CC if the fun fur matches CC)

Rnd 23: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around. Join to first sc

Rnd 24: Ch 1, sc in same stitch as joining, sc in next 7 stitches, work sc decrease, sc in each of the next 6 stitches, work sc decrease, (sc in next 8 stitches, work sc decrease, sc in next 6 stitches, work sc decrease) twice, sc in each of the last 4 stitches. Join to first sc ~ 52 sc's made

Rnd 25: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around. Join to first sc

Fasten Off Yarn. Weave in Ends.

Handles

Coming Soon

Never mind, I had problems on row two but the 4th time was a charm and I figured it out.

I just finished row 8 and am headed to bed. This works up really fast! I'm loving it.

I'm also loving working with wool. It feels so nice to crochet with. I hate to admit that after 12 years of crocheting I had never tried using wool. I'm hooked. lol

Archived