Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

Finished bag with handles ~ before felting and before sewing on the handles. I will also be adding a large felted flower and will be lining the bag, then adding magnetic snaps for closure

D-Ring's attached

bag2.jpg

Bag after felting (before attaching handles)

bag3.jpg

Before felting measurements: approx. 14" x 14"

After felting measurements: approx 10 1/2" w x 10" h

I bought blue fabric to match the blue and will be lining the bag and adding the magnetic snap closure to the fabric. I think this bag turned out SO adorable and am anxious for it to dry completely :) Finished instructions will be posted tomorrow, then we will get into the felting part of this bag.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished row 12 and am taking a break to finish up school with the kiddos.

I have to say I adore the colors I picked for the yarn. Even DH commented on how nice it's looking. It's rare for him to even notice. lol

I won't be able to work on this for a few days - my nephew is getting married on Saturday and there is alot to do today and tomorrow before the wedding on Sat. I will be back to something normal on Monday, and I will continue to work on my bag!!! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Chelle

How important is gauge? I have done the first 12 rows and my bag measures 15.5" in width and not 14 like the your sample??

I have started a second bottom with a smaller hook (N)to see if it works better . Or should I just keep working with my first bag??

Cheryl

Cheryl, as far as I know the looser the stitches the more it felts. So it may felt just as well (just may need to be in the cycle longer, I did mine for 15min. and 15min), but if you are having success with the N hook then you can certainly stick with that - I know I have a tighter crochet tension, but those with looser tensions it should work just as well? The only way to know for sure is to try a swatch (I did 20 stitches, 15 rows which equaled 9" x 9").

I will have the pattern written out and updated here as well as on my website. I am going to finish up the handles and put them on the bag today as well - I think it's just about done drying.

Cheryl, I used silver size 1" D rings that I picked up at walmart on the button rack (in the fabrics area, not over in the crafting) for 78 cents per pack of 4 (cant beat that!).

I just wanted to share with you all my purse so far. I used Patons SWS soy wool stripes in natural pink for the body, and Patons Classic Wool in winter white and fun fur in ivory for the contrast color. I have to admit this is the most I've spent on yarn ever! I had to buy 4 skeins of the SWS yarn, it has less in it than the Classic Wool skeins.

HPIM0237.jpg

Kim :princess

Are we going to felt together when everyone gets done with their bags? Or are we felting as soon as we're complete?

Me? I'm about halfway done. :) Lots going on, working two jobs, etc. However, I have a full two day weekend (off Sunday and Monday), so I should be done with the bag by sometime Monday...if not earlier.

I should be able to post pix.

I am all done with what has been posted so far. But now I need the handle pattern so I can finish. I was wondering-do I attach the rings & the handles before felting or after or does it matter? I also want to make a flower for mine too. Do I sew that on before felting or after??

I'm finished with everything but the handles. I love the way it's looking, I'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

I didn't do the fun fur on mine, just trimmed it with the CC.

I am making up some leaves and will make a flower to decorate the bag. I'm using the leaf chain pattern here for my leaves. http://www.fablehandmadegoods.com/crochetpatterns.html

Haven't found a flower I like yet. I'm making the leaves in my CC yarn too. They look really cute.

Handles (make 2)

With MC, holding two strands together, chain 71, sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain across. Fasten Off Yarn. Weave in Ends (handles are sewn on after felting)

Optional D-Ring Attachment

With CC, double stranded, whip stitch around top of bag (through each sc stitch), whip stitching d-rings evenly spaced to top of bag. Tie end of yarn with beginning of yarn to secure. Fasten Off and Weave in Ends

No D-Ring Attachment

Whip stitch as above except ignore whip stitching the d-rings

I am not joining this CAL but wanted to add something for those concerned about the front loading washer issues that were mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a front loader and have felted in it quite a few times and it came out nicely. I add 3 tennis balls to the machine with my piece to be felted and it comes out fine. I use a hot/cold cycle and let it run the entire course. This might not be as effective for a wearable garment because you can't monitor the process as easily, but for a bag it should work just fine. You might need to reapeat the cycle to get the desired results, but I had no problems. Good luck!!!

I am not joining this CAL but wanted to add something for those concerned about the front loading washer issues that were mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a front loader and have felted in it quite a few times and it came out nicely. I add 3 tennis balls to the machine with my piece to be felted and it comes out fine. I use a hot/cold cycle and let it run the entire course. This might not be as effective for a wearable garment because you can't monitor the process as easily, but for a bag it should work just fine. You might need to reapeat the cycle to get the desired results, but I had no problems. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the hint...good word. Although mine is technically not a front loader (it's a top loader without an agitator), I was still worried.

Can't wait to start felting, although I still have to do the handles.

Archived