Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, how many are ready to felt?

Handle instructions were posted on here already, so if you missed them - go back to my second from last post and find them! :)

ME ME ME!! :yes :yes :yes I've been waiting very patiently! When are you going to post the instructions?

Kim :princess

Just have to crochet the handles then whip stitch the O rings on. (But first, I have to get the O rings).

Busy weekend. I thought I was going to have Monday completely free...but as it turned out, I was on the run from early morning until late at night. I never get a day off.

I'll get the handles done tomorrow during breaks at work. But I probably won't be able to felt until Thursday. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I am ready!!!!

I know that I have extra stitches but I decided to leave it as is and I just did a hdc for the entire bag. I didn't want to frog again, so i will see how I like felting and then make another one if I like it:cheer :cheer

I haven't been able to start yet either. :( Life happened and the bag got put on the back burner. I need to finish up a Poncho and hat for a gift and then I can start. I am also trying to finish up a rectangle granny ghan so that I can start my graph ghan next week.

i havent started yet....dont know if i will be able to or not...just finished a counted cross stitche sampler that i started when my daughter was 8 in third grade. i kept promising it to her for all her graduations and then when she graduated from college i told her she would get it before she gets married! and that is nov. 25th! it is done!!!!!!!!!finally after 17 years! i need to crochet...i will try to get this done no promises

Ok, for those who are ready I guess I will go ahead and post the simplest instructions on felting your bag.

Take a pillowcase (zippered, or use a rubberband to tie the top for non zippered) or mesh bag to put your wool bag and straps into. The reason for this is so all the fuzz that comes off the yarn does not end up in your washing machine and ruin it over time.

Take a pair of adult size jeans and your pillowcase/mesh bag and put them in the washing machine. Put the water level to mini (or small), fill it with hot/cold cycle on normal cycle (heavy cycle if you have it), and put in a tablespoon of baking soda in the wash (unlike soap, you dont have to rinse the baking soda out). Let the wash fill with water.

Once it begins the agitation (wash) cycle, set your timer for 10 minutes (I use the timer on my oven). When the timer goes off, turn off your machine (for mine I just push the knob in to stop the wash) and check your bag. Stretch the bag up and out, and stretch the handles. Place them back into the bag and retie (or zip). Turn your machine knob back to the beginning of the cycle (we want to keep it on the wash cycle and not go into the spin and rinse cycle), and agitate for another 10 minutes. Check your bag - if it's not felted enough to your liking, repeat for another 10 minutes (it took my bag a total of 30 minutes).

When the felting is to your liking, squeeze most of the water out of your felted bag and handles. Place a clean towel on the floor, put your bag and handles flat on the towel, place another clean towel on top - and step on it to get more water out. Then take your bag and stuff it with plastic bags, or a box, or anything that will shape your bag well. Hang your handles over something to dry overnight.

Keep shaping your bag over the next day - it will take 2-3 days for your bag to dry completely and I just keep playing with my bag during those days shaping it making sure it's how I like it :)

When bag and handles are done drying - sew the handles to your bag. Line the bag if you'd like also (not necessary though).

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh, I can't wait to do this - I am going to start it now!!!! :cheer

UPDATE - I felted the bag and I have to say that it looks good. I realized that I had extra stitches as I went along and didn't want to frog, again, so I just kept doing hdc stitches for the entire bag. I didn't have any fun fur for the top, so I just ended it with the MC.

I stuffed it with small towels to give it shape - now all I have to do is wait for it to dry and sew on the handles

I am really excited that I accomplished this - thanks Chelle for the opportunity to do this!!!!

I did it!!!! I felted my bag and it looks great, I even let it do a gentle spin cycle to remove extra water and it looks fabulous.

I will try to post a picture this weekend ,my husband has the camera (he's at a conference til tomorrow)

Thank you Chelle for helping us with the pattern and the felting, it definitely made this more fun as a group activity!!! I think I might be making some for Christmas gifts.

Cheryl

I'm getting so excited reading everyones felting stories! We have family in town visiting until Saturday morning. As soon as I can get them out the door I'm headed for the washer! lol

My bag and handles are all done and ready to felt. Well I guess they are done, I haven't been able to find the rings anywhere so I am thinking that I will just sew the handles onto the bag without the rings. Our wal-mart is always out of everything, and I am not sure enough about what exactly I'm looking for to have success anywhere else. I'm thinking I will prefer the handles directly on the bag anyway.

I can't hardly wait for Saturday!!

Great! See how easy it really is to felt?!! It took me a year to try it because it seemed overwhelming to me, the whole felting process - but it really is no big deal :) Now I love felting and love the finished look of my bags!

I'm very excited to see everyones pictures! I still have to line and sew my handles to my bag lol. I think I'll do that today!

Here is mine. I forgot to get fun fur and then never had time to get back to the yarn store. I decided to do it without it because I wasn't sure if I was going to like felting. Guess what - I did!!!

Chelle - thanks again :hug

I filled my bag up with yarn - who would of thought!!! :cheer :cheer

mrfirsttotebag.jpg

I've been watching and waiting to see everyone's purses! Come on ladies - show your purses!

I went to a family function today and brought my felted bag with me - I got lots of compliments - and I was very surprised - DH keeps saying, you didn't do that!!! and mine isn't as nice as others who have posted.

My mom said, oh good, now you can make them for everyone for xmas - NOT!!!

:cheer :cheer

Archived