What not to crochet

Perhaps I should keep my opinion to myself on this one but, I am really offended by this site and the comments. I realize that everyone has a right to their own opinion, rightfully so, but...If I were the designer of these items that are being trash-talked, I would be hurt. I take my crocheting VERY seriously. Oh well, each to their own, I guess :sigh

I agree with you. I didn't find it a bit funny. I understand that one mans fugly is another mans art, but still. My biggest concern, and the first thought that crossed my mind after reading the blog was how many designers did this discourage? Not only that, but did anybody read the comments to the sweater shawl? the writer accused a defender of having a poll up her **BLEEP**. That's not opinion, that's pretty cruel. I say, if you're going to tare a part someone else's work on a public blog, at least turn the comments off. Saying "I don't like that" is one thing, and is everybody's right. But what these writers are doing, goes way beyond just saying "I didn't like that". If they think they can 'build a better boat' then let them do it, and lets see the finished projects. otherwise, they should have respect for the designers who put in their hard work to create for us. As far as "changing the channel" if you don't like the program, well, the road is a two-way street. They could move on too, instead of seeking out projects to make fun of just to get a laugh, and increase traffic to their blog.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Constructive criticism is something to be appreciated.

Setting something up with the express person of tearing others up is not. With a title like "What not to crochet" the author certainly isn't trying to build anyone's confidence, or help them make minor improvements. It's just being insulting. It's kind of like watching a bully with their group of cronies cheering them on as they mug some poor kid for their lunch money.

Ok, first of all, yes there are definately things that should not be crocheted, and yes there have in been some truly ugly things designed, and yes I have looked at patterns & though to myslef "what the heck were they thinking?!?!" :think - haven't we all? -BUT we all need to be open minded and realize that no one is forcing us to make these patterns or even look at them on-line, so to each his own!

That being said, did anyone notice the necklaces made with buttons? (go back about 6 or 7 pages) and does anyone know of a similar pattern? NO I am not going to make a necklace, BUT it would make a pretty edging to an afghan instead of fringe, so I was wondering how it was done - see, some of the ugly patterns are good for something :yes (it might even be alright vor a baby blanket IF the buttons were threadded onto yarn and croceted right in, I dunno, would be interesting to see)

Fran

edited to add link: http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/operatic/312/button1.htm

also, it might make a cute edging for a scarf, I'll have to try it!

You know I have crocheted a few things in my life that once finished I have thought ... "what the heck was I thinking??"

I have a shrug upstairs that I put all due care into, but on me it looks shocking. Nothing wrong with the design, in fact I have seen numerous versions of the pattern and they all look stunning.... BUT the design on my body looks bad news. When I have the energy I will undo the thing.

the thing that really makes me mad is

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/2006/09/01/dread-pirate-sam/#comments

that was made by a craftster, not a big designer/company

If you read the comments most are pretty complimentary. No where any where as negative as some of the others. I think the designer will get some good exposure from it as he is for sale on etsy.

The maker is has also posted the pirate on this site and got rave reviews.

im glad to see the designers happy about being on there, but it also could have really hurt her

at least you knit what?? stuck to big companys

Amy Says:

September 1st, 2006 at 3:42 pm

WOO HOO I made the site!!

The big companies employ designers who are people too. I am not sure why you would differentiate between the two?

The big companies employ designers who are people too. I am not sure why you would differentiate between the two?

thats true but i dont know its still different in my mind...

i guess its because when you have a pattern threw say lionbrand you're putting yourself out there much more than if its just on a forum/blog/etsy

its all wrong but ones still worse than the other in my mind...

As someone who has been ridiculed on a blog very much like the one in question here, I have to say I think it's nasty and cruel to do this. There's a blog out there that trolls my blog and almost every item I make, they copy my image and place it there to make fun of! They have actually taken pics with my face on them and have said some really nasty things about me and my crocheted items. Since the blog I'm speaking of was set up with an alias, there is practically no way to contact the bloggers and even after complaining to Blogger about it, there wasn't much that could be done. The images on my blog are not theirs to steal and make fun of but they do it! It's sad that people have to make fun of others to feel better about themselves.

One persons trash is another persons treasure. Sure there are many patterns out there that I see and think "what the heck? who would wear that?" but there are people who may love it. who am i to tell them they are tacky because they like something i don't?

it's one thing to give constructive critiscism to someone who asks for it but it's quite another for someone to steal a picture off the internet, post it on a site and ridicule and make fun of you when you were only intending on sharing your pattern and/or pictures with friends.

i got lambasted for my Molly Weasley sweater and many people said I made it lopsided and such. They didn't even bother to see that it wasn't lopsided at all but that it was 95 degrees, this was a hot sweater and I barely got it on in order to snap a picture. one side was hanging down farther because i didn't have it pulled up all the way. however, i love my sweater and think it's gorgeous! if these people think it's atrocious, that's their problem! i'm tired of people making fun of others.

ok, i'll get down now! :soap

As someone who has been ridiculed on a blog very much like the one in question here, I have to say I think it's nasty and cruel to do this. There's a blog out there that trolls my blog and almost every item I make, they copy my image and place it there to make fun of! They have actually taken pics with my face on them and have said some really nasty things about me and my crocheted items. Since the blog I'm speaking of was set up with an alias, there is practically no way to contact the bloggers and even after complaining to Blogger about it, there wasn't much that could be done. The images on my blog are not theirs to steal and make fun of but they do it! It's sad that people have to make fun of others to feel better about themselves.

One persons trash is another persons treasure. Sure there are many patterns out there that I see and think "what the heck? who would wear that?" but there are people who may love it. who am i to tell them they are tacky because they like something i don't?

it's one thing to give constructive critiscism to someone who asks for it but it's quite another for someone to steal a picture off the internet, post it on a site and ridicule and make fun of you when you were only intending on sharing your pattern and/or pictures with friends.

i got lambasted for my Molly Weasley sweater and many people said I made it lopsided and such. They didn't even bother to see that it wasn't lopsided at all but that it was 95 degrees, this was a hot sweater and I barely got it on in order to snap a picture. one side was hanging down farther because i didn't have it pulled up all the way. however, i love my sweater and think it's gorgeous! if these people think it's atrocious, that's their problem! i'm tired of people making fun of others.

ok, i'll get down now! :soap

That is pretty effed up if you ask me. I wonder if it could be someone who knows you? Why would anyone prey on someone like that. No matter what we have made, its still something WE made, and to actually post it online, it shows our pride. Like my mamma always taught me, "if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" That should be a hard and fast rule in forums and blogs.:hug

I do have to say that there are some things on this site that I think are great! The pirate doll is cute, and I don't really like pirates or Johnny Depp. The feline monitor perch is funny too.

Then on the other side of the coin some of the things are ones that I would not be happy if I received it as a gift. As least if they were done exactly as pictured. For example, the medalion scarf. I think it looks rather neat but the color is just NOT me. I know that I will be book marking this sight for no other reason than to find some more patterns. And I hadn't found the Annie's Attic pattern site so I will use this site to link to that too.

It reminds me of that commerical with the old lady teaching how to cover the air freshener. My mother always laughs and looks at me. She says that will be in when Im old. I don't really think it matters what you crochet. Its just that you like doing it.

Hey Does Anyone know where she got the bunny pattern? JK:lol

You know I wonder if no one complains, especially the big companies like Lion, because any attention is potential free advertising.... I mean how many of us went and checked out the sites where these things were from? And yeah I agreed, and found myself laughing and sayin what were they thinking? But on the other hand there were a few things I liked there!

Ohhhhh....My feelings would be soo, soo hurt. You never know, it could be someones FIRST attempt at something! I really hope the person who started up that website reads what "we" here at Crochetville feel about this too. I'm sure it made the crocheter happy when they were done putting all that work into it, I hope they don't ever run into that website. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Ok if you think the pasties are funny, check out the latest. I must admit I tend to agree with them on this one.

Would probably be useful for a kids fancy dress...

I do think that some of the "designs" they rubbish is the stuff that gives crochet a bad name.

Archived