What not to crochet

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/

I stumbled across this site. While some of it made me laugh, some is bit cruel.

I am surprised they havent been taken down by some of the designers and companies they bag.

Make your own decision...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I should keep my opinion to myself on this one but, I am really offended by this site and the comments. I realize that everyone has a right to their own opinion, rightfully so, but...If I were the designer of these items that are being trash-talked, I would be hurt. I take my crocheting VERY seriously. Oh well, each to their own, I guess :sigh

The miscellaneous section is interesting. The pasties and the couch thing are a bit out there, but I actually like the tissue box cover pattern, and the mat...

In fact I enjoy Annies Pattern of the day. Not that I would make them all, but I do like seeing how the craft can be extended.

I keep an eye on this site cos I am sure something I have made might turn up there!

I am now actually wondering how they get away with it as I would have thought that the images they criticise would be covered by copyright.

I agree Victoria I too would be hurt. I wonder what they think people should crochet??

I also looked at this site, and some of the items were a bit, well that is someones work of art and then again some looked pretty good. I myself liked that grannysquare vest. But that couch dress, was it really real.

jaye

Edited to add thread

This site has been up and running for quite awhile now. Unfortunately it does not appeal to everyones tastes, and this has been brought up here on the board before and the thread was closed due to difference of opinions. here is the link if you want to have a look http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25003

I suppose if you are going to be offended by it - don't look. I do not want to add to any controversy here, just thought I would let you know

And then there's the adage that "there's no such thing as bad publicity"

As long as my designs were getting attention, that is what would matter to me. :) I know I'm not gonna please everyone all the time.. and those who don't know how to critique with kindness.........there is such a thing as Karma. :)

I also looked at this site, and some of the items were a bit, well that is someones work of art and then again some looked pretty good. I myself liked that grannysquare vest. But that couch dress, was it really real.

jaye

The general consensus on the couch dress is that it's possibly a kind of performance art, based on the website it came from. Take a look and decide for yourself

http://www.pantalaine.com/index.html

As far as What Not To Crochet itself, they have posted some things I like, and some things that I agree are not the most attractive of projects. To me, it's a double-edged sword from a designers perspective.

One one hand, I could see feeling very hurt by negative comments on something you had worked hard on. On the other hand, more mainstream artists, such as authors and painters take criticism as part of the job. As well, in the case of items such as the sweater-shawl, I probably would not have run across that pattern otherwise (well, until someone posted about it here anyway) and therefore would not have gone searching for it, as I absolutely loved it. So, the site ended up giving that designer free publicity, and at least one customer. It's probably safe to assume that there are people who discovered and enjoyed other sites such as Annie's free pattern that they didn't know about before, because What Not To Crochet mentioned it.

I guess what am trying to say is, yes, it is a mean-spirited site. But in a weird way, the fact that it is there also indicates crochet as an artform is gaining mainstream recognition, which pleases me.

**edited to correct a spelling error

oops I somehow missed that!

I was more intrigued than offended.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Edited to add thread

This site has been up and running for quite awhile now. Unfortunately it does not appeal to everyones tastes, and this has been brought up here on the board before and the thread was closed due to difference of opinions. here is the link if you want to have a look http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25003

I suppose if you are going to be offended by it - don't look. I do not want to add to any controversy here, just thought I would let you know

I was going to comment that this 'issue' had been broached before - both What Not to Crochet and another one called You Knit What...

While I have looked at both of these sites and laughed at some of the stuff (I'm not offended by foul language, etc.) and some of the things can be pretty ridiculous, I did happen to notice that THE SHAWL I'M CURRENTLY MAKING is on there, and of course I don't agree that it's a "what not to crochet" type item - it's really gorgeous... but whatever.

So, uh, yeah. Whatever.

I am now actually wondering how they get away with it as I would have thought that the images they criticise would be covered by copyright.

well, yes and no, yes i'm sure they are copyrighted, but it's a First Amendment issue. Everyone has the right to voice their own opinon.

to my recollection (ex-communications major lol) the only way to stop it is to proove libel or slander. And in this particulare case you would have to proove libel because it is over a fixed medium where it has the potential to reach a mass audience. But then again, the only way to get them in trouble is if the information is untruthful, and since it's all opinion...you can't.

Lee Ann

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these writers just aren't that talented. They are not particularly funny or witty. Quite different from the authors of the now closed "You Knit What". Maybe it's too early in the morning or something, but I didn't even crack a smile reading their comments. :rolleyes

Yes, the images they are using are copyrighted. However, there is something in copyright law called "fair use doctrine" which applies to critiques, reviews, educational purposes, etc. I am sure that is what the site owners are relying on should a pattern company/designer get on their case.

Now, since the whole purpose of this site seems to be to ridicule designs the bloggers don't like, a good lawyer could probably find a way to argue that the "fair use doctrine" does not apply in this case.

You've heard the phrase "no publicity is bad publicity"? Some of the larger pattern companies may be taking advantage of the increased free publicity they are receiving from this blog. After all, not everyone is going to agree with the blogger's assessment of a design. Having a design posted on that blog could end up giving the designer increased sales. You never know.

I believe I remember that one design was removed from the blog at one point. (It could have been the You Knit What blog, I can't remember for sure.) My assumption was that the designer had threatened legal action if they didn't remove it, but of course I don't know that for sure.

The designers/pattern companies could get their lawyer to send a cease and desist letter, demanding that their designs be removed from the blog. (Gets expensive to do over and over again.) If the blogger refuses, all that's left is to actually go to court to try and resolve the situation. (Very expensive for all involved.)

DISCLAIMER: My comments are not intended as a full and complete representation of federal copyright law and should not be construed as actual legal advice, as I am not an attorney. If you need an official opinion about the actual legal issues involved in copyright law, please seek the services of an attorney who specializes in intellectual property. Our forum guidelines, while based on concern for respecting copyright law, are completely separate from such law.

I don't know why, but this thread made me remember the C'ville thread here I had thought to myself at the time that if I was a designer and saw someone create a site/blog/thread insulting my work, it probably wouldn't make my day brighter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these writers just aren't that talented. They are not particularly funny or witty. Quite different from the authors of the now closed "You Knit What". Maybe it's too early in the morning or something, but I didn't even crack a smile reading their comments. :rolleyes

I agree--I used to really enjoy that website---the writing was great; I get some amusement from the crochet site, but it isn't nearly as well-written.

Nicole

I don't know why, but this thread made me remember the C'ville thread here I had thought to myself at the time that if I was a designer and saw someone create a site/blog/thread insulting my work, it probably wouldn't make my day brighter.

probably cos I started them both. I had forgotten about the previous one untill you mentioned it.

No offense was meant. I guess tho on a crochet site some discussion arround designs is sure to happen and there have been any number of threads highlighting unusual/ different designs.

I might get the mods to lock this thread now as I never intended to create a fuss just some discussion about crochet related content, seeing as this is the topic that has drawn us all here.

LOL

Look - some people find the site offensive. Some find it funny. I think it's both, but we have to remember - it's just a blog. It's one persons ramblings, and yes, sometimes its not nice, but if you follow political blogs, social blogs, any blogs you'll see a lot worth. In my blog I ramble about crochet - I hope its not offensive, but its just my thoughts and others aren't always going to agree with me. This blog gives one person's opinion aboug fugly. I don't always agree with her, but I think her writing is funny.

Archived