What not to crochet

Thanks, cupcake! That site made me giggle.

I am surprised they havent been taken down by some of the designers and companies they bag.

But for what? Copyright violation for use of other people's images, maybe, but I suspect what they've done would fit within fair use guidelines.

It's the sort of site that is bound to make some people laugh and leave others horrified. But then, one could say that about so much of the web.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the site is hilarious! I have seen some ridiculous patterns out there...however if you are offended, just like with tv, books or movies you can opt out. I especially enjoyed the critique of the broom cozy! Come on! You have to admit that is the least practical thing on earth! Art is meant to evoke emotion right? They aren't always going to be positive.

Ummmm, I'd like to know where to find this pattern!

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/2006/09/03/broom-cover/

Mermaiden,

I ran across the broom cover some time ago before it was in WNTC. I thought it was pretty but not practical. Here is the link.

http://www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/kitchenmenu5.php

Just FYI: She has other broom cover patterns as well.

It's pretty funny, but mean at the same time. I think their intentions are probably good (to make people laugh), but the method is wrong cuz it's at someone's expense. Anywho, there is some humorous stuff there. Let's just all remember we love one another, and no one here is trying to hurt or offend anyone else! In the words of Rodney King...."Can't we all just get along?" :cheer:hug:yay:hook:c9:D:lol:clap:manyheart:yes

I love you guys!!!!!!

Maybe it will help everyone to not feel so bad for those whose designs have been skewered and lampooned to realize that this site is pretty accepted in the industry.

I have a subscription to Yarn Market News (and their email newsletter update), an industry trade magazine. I just received their email newsletter, and they actually told everyone about the What Not to Crochet blog and their new endeavor, What Not to Knit! YMN seemed pretty accepting of this site.

I have a feeling most designers (being professionals) are of the opinion that "no publicity is bad publicity" and anything that helps increase awareness of their patterns, their websites, and their name as a designer is good for business.

It does seem that this blog limits their critiques to professionals in the field (who are used to this sort of thing), and does not bother those who are just crocheting for fun and personal enjoyment.

It may not be politically correct but I thought that most of the items on the site were meant to be there. As much as I love crocheting, I personally believe there are some weird things on that site. I did enjoy looking at the "art" of it.

I have a feeling most designers (being professionals) are of the opinion that "no publicity is bad publicity" and anything that helps increase awareness of their patterns, their websites, and their name as a designer is good for business.
I agree. Even Martha Stewart can laugh at herself (and all the way to the bank). On one of her Christmas shows she had, as a guest, the lady who impersonated her (unflatteringly, I might add) on SNL. Martha seemed to have fun with it.

If someone is sooooo sensitive, maybe they should just stay out of the public eye entirely. They don't complain when the checks roll in, do they? :P

One of the simplest things I think is usually overlooked by any crafter when looking at a finished product is color. One of the very first lessons I learned about crocheting is that just because something is not eye appealing to me doesn't mean its a bad design or pattern. Just because the color choices shown in a photo don't appeal to me, they may actually appeal to someone else. I agree that there are some strange looking photos in there and some items may not be practical, but as an example, would someone make the broom cover if it weren't white? Just food for thought :)

As someone who has been ridiculed on a blog very much like the one in question here, I have to say I think it's nasty and cruel to do this. There's a blog out there that trolls my blog and almost every item I make, they copy my image and place it there to make fun of! They have actually taken pics with my face on them and have said some really nasty things about me and my crocheted items. Since the blog I'm speaking of was set up with an alias, there is practically no way to contact the bloggers and even after complaining to Blogger about it, there wasn't much that could be done. The images on my blog are not theirs to steal and make fun of but they do it! It's sad that people have to make fun of others to feel better about themselves.

One persons trash is another persons treasure. Sure there are many patterns out there that I see and think "what the heck? who would wear that?" but there are people who may love it. who am i to tell them they are tacky because they like something i don't?

it's one thing to give constructive critiscism to someone who asks for it but it's quite another for someone to steal a picture off the internet, post it on a site and ridicule and make fun of you when you were only intending on sharing your pattern and/or pictures with friends.

i got lambasted for my Molly Weasley sweater and many people said I made it lopsided and such. They didn't even bother to see that it wasn't lopsided at all but that it was 95 degrees, this was a hot sweater and I barely got it on in order to snap a picture. one side was hanging down farther because i didn't have it pulled up all the way. however, i love my sweater and think it's gorgeous! if these people think it's atrocious, that's their problem! i'm tired of people making fun of others.

ok, i'll get down now! :soap

Hmmmm......I'll bet we could take a good guess.

If my stuff was trashed like this, I'm afraid I'd be so discouraged, I'd never pick up a hook again. But I am a very sensitive person. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this is not it. Personally, free advertising or not, I think they should be ashamed of themselves. I don't subscribe to the theory that "any publicity is good publicity".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived