Stringing beads = losing my mind!!!

Stacey

Anyone have any tips to make stringing beads go quicker?

This beaded shawl I'm making calls for you to string 966 beads onto the thread before starting. I'm on bead #10 and already going insane!

This might be because the beads I ended up buying are a teensy bit smaller than what the pattern called for (I'm praying it works out ok, because I can't find the right size beads *anywhere*), but I'm having to ream the beads out with a jumbo safety pin first because on some of them one end is a bit narrower than it should be (from what looks like extra material around the opening - it comes right off).

And I feel sooo clumsy trying to string them! I feel like I have giant fingers messing around with these itty bitty beads!

I figure using a needle might make it easier if I can find one small enough, but right now I'm at work and the smallest needle I have with me won't fit through the beads.

Ok, enough :mad from me about the beads - back to trying to string them...

as far as needles go you can get beading needles that are flexible at Hobby Lobby and sometimes wal mart. I don't have my beading supplies unpacked yet as we're sort on space here so I can't give you a brand name but the needles are just twisted flexable wire.

About losing your mind wish I could help beading can be like that at times lol...

Here is another link you can check out too... I've not tried it myself but it's one of those "I have to remember this" things in the back of my head.

Make Your Own Bead Spinner

If you Google 'bead spinner' tons of links come up, but this is the first one I've found that has a good how-to for making your own. Plenty of sites sell them, too.

Hope this helps! :cheer2

I actually used a bead spinner when I made my wire/bead crochet purse. I used over 3000 beads on this project. I think it only works if you are using wire to string your beads.

I think your best bet is to find a really LOOOONNNG beading needle. they have some up to 3 inches long and very, very narrow.

Definately go with the bead spinner if you're using wire!

Guest SamplerLady

A beading needle is a must, first of all. Then thin (silk is good) thread. Okay. Thread the needle with the thread--about six inches of thread.. Tie the ends together just as you would if you were going to sew on a button. Put the crochet thread through the loop of thread. Put the beads on the needle, down the thread and over the crochet thread If you can't fit them over the crochet thread, the beads are too small.

Alternatively, using white glue, put some on the end of your crochet thread, twisting it to get it thin. Let it dry thus creating a "needle" of sorts by stiffening the thread. :D

What I do when I am using the seed beads is take some small gauge wire, and wrap it around the thread that I am using.. Than twist it together to form as small as possible for the beads to go thru.. I than get about 10 or so at one time on the homemade needle and string them on..

Cathey

PS I would love to see the beaded shawl :))

is it a pattern online?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I was being a doofus and trying to string them without a needle because I had some free time at work and wanted to get a start at it. It's going much faster now! :lol I'm starting to get the hang of handling the beads, though I still feel a little clumsy. At least they're the longer kind and not those seed beads for my first time, though.

Cathey, here's the pattern I'm using: www.crochetmagazine.com/f..._shawl.pdf (pdf file, about 150k) I love this shawl - I hope mine comes out as good as the picture! I'm making one for my stepdaughter for Christmas, and if I can face all those beads again I'll probably make one for myself eventually.

That bead spinner is too cool - it looks like it works like magic!

• 10 months later...
What I do when I am using the seed beads is take some small gauge wire, and wrap it around the thread that I am using.. Than twist it together to form as small as possible for the beads to go thru.. I than get about 10 or so at one time on the homemade needle and string them on..

Cathey

PS I would love to see the beaded shawl :))

is it a pattern online?

I've seen you mention this twice now, and I have GOT to try it, Cathey. Seems very inventive of you!! I use the Big Eye needle, but sometimes its too big...and I have some very small gauge wire I use for other things....

• 2 months later...

Here is where you can get a needle that will go through almost any bead or pearl with thread attached to it. I use silk to string my jewelry and it is the only needle I will use. I buy them ten at a time :)

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H151711BS

Good luck :)

• 2 months later...

Take florist wire -- available at a Michaels, or Hobby Lobby - and a tiny bit of superglue, to fasten the thread onto the florist wire... use the wire, on a flat surface, chase the beads onto their side with one hand.. stick the florist wire through with the other.

Also, I am careful when I get the beads all on, to take a paper towel roll and starting at the last bead strung, wrap the wire around the roll, and roll the beads on... trying not to add twisting. It is a lot easier to cope with than a jumbled mess of beads.

I guess lots of us do beading since it marries well with crochet. Thanks, Julie for the spinner link. I had no idea that you could do that! Most of the beading I've done has been for jewelry but I did do a cardigan with beaded edges once. What a pain!

Since I use a lot of very small beads I have found this to work the best. It works on all but the size 15 seed beads. then I use very fine flexible beading needle. I don't normally like to use them as they aren't really reusable.

But for most I use the Dritz looped needle threader. I like it better than the big eye beading needle because for me it is more versatile. But I realize not everyone wants to work with the size of beads I like. Size 12 and 13 are my favorites.

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$1LEUHCAAAFB5SP4SY5NBHOR50LD3OEPO?CATID=82297&PRODID=66149

With this I can normally just start stringing and don't have to worry about loosing my rhythm when I hit one that wont fit. I do snip off about one inch to make it easier to control.

Hi Stacey,

When I'm stringing on beads I wax the end of the thread. Light a candle and let the wax melt a little then just dip the end of the thread in the melted wax about an inch or inch and a half. Depending on how many beads I'm stringing on I may have to rewax the thread after a while.

Ferosa

I make bead crochet ropes, and the seed beads have to be pre-strung on the thread before starting, and they need to be in a specific pattern, so a bead spinner won't work.

What I do is lay the beads out on a flat surface... a piece of vellum works well to keep beads from 'escaping' ... I prefer the big eye needles. Instead of picking up each tiny bead and trying to put it on the needle, I spread the beads out, and poke the bead near the hole with the needle. This will make the bead jump onto the needle.

With regard to consistency of bead size, I find the Japanese seed beads are more uniform in both size and shape than the Czech ones. You do have to cull some of the beads that are just too wonky... but the per bead price is really cheap. If you find a wonky bead after you've already strung a whole bunch, simply squash the offending bead with a pair of pliers to get rid of it.

Seed beads come in sizes. The most typical size is 11/0. I like working with 8/'s and 6/0's. The larger the number, the smaller the bead. So.. size 8/0 is bigger than the 11/0's.

Probably waaay more than anyone wanted to know.

Joan

Years ago I crocheted one of those pearl rope crocheted necklaces for my Mom. What I did to make it easier to thread the pearl beads onto the crochet thread was to put some clear nail polish onto the crochet thread to make the end firmer and that helped. I had a lot of pearls to string with that project. My mom still has the rope necklace and it somes back in style from time to time.

:hook:manyheart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use these G.U.M. Eez-Thru Floss Threaders they are for threading dental floss to floss under bridges, the ones that are made from fishing wire type. You may have some already laying around in med chest. They are totaly cool to use because they pick up the tiny seed beads with ease they are just the right flex to them alowing to act like a needle that bends for picking up the beads. You would put your thread through the loop of the threader and string along. Also the best container I have is a flat tuperaware type allows me to get around in while picking up the colors I want, I have just started with all this so don't have containers for every color... WoW another excuse to go to the store..:cheer

• 1 month later...

1. find a needle fine enough for the beads.

2. loop sewing cotton thru' the needle.

3. pass the crochet thread thru' the loop, pull tight.

4. place a piece of cloth on a tray, pile the beads up in a heap on the cloth.

5. keep jabbing your needle horizontally at the heap, bunch up the cloth to keep the beads in a pile.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived