Journey or End Product? What motivates you to crochet?

Guest Yarnentangled

Guest Yarnentangled

To me,the lure of crochet is mastering a new skill. I can master a stitch or a technique until I run out of yarn, frog it and never actually complete a product but I am still content. I am way more excited about getting it right than ending up with a tweaky,crooked scarf or a doily.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy wearing my work. But its the process, the learning or the journey that is way more fun.

How about you?

For me it's the end product. I love seeing my girls wearing things I have crocheted, or going over to my moms house and seeing the afghan I made her for Mothers Day. I myself have a favorite fuzzy shawl I made myself. Knowing I made these things that are actually being used or worn is what makes me happy. I love working it up, but I love the end product much more.

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifIt's the journey, not the destination for me. I have absolutely no problem trying it out and then frogging the whole thing cuz I don't "need" to finish it. Or I'll finish it cuz I love seeing it grow. Once it's done, I can generally put it in the gift or charity box and not think about it again. A few I've fallen for and keep, but most.....once it's done I'm "on the road again......" with new yarn, new stitches and maybe even a new hook.

I love the end product, but also the journey to that product. I love challenging myself with a new stitch or pattern, but I want to share that with my loved ones. If I don't keep a project for myself or my girls, I give it to other family members during special occasions.

I am motivated to crochet by the desire to leave a legacy for my daughters and their children and grandchildren. :)h

Both for me. I love playing with yarn and color and trying different techniques, but I also love watching a project grow into a finished piece that I can give as a gift or use myself that's maybe a little different and more personal than something store bought.

End product here. I need to feel like i'm using my time efficiently - probably a reason i stick to the simple patterns and stitches.

Now when i win my millions and get to stay home.. i'll probably try the more difficult patterns ^_^

:knit:knit:knit

For me its both. I love a good challenge and to see a project come to completion. Plus I just :)h :)h :)h yarn. Any yarn, thick, thin, eyelash, fur or funk. To me yarn is like gold. I have so much and still buy more. But to see someones face light up when they get something I have created is the best feeling. My family just loves the things I make them. But to see something I don't know how to do and do it is so satisfying!!:clap:clap So I guess for me its both the challenge and the completion.

kelly v

I have to say both. The satisfaction of figuring something out, finally, is the best feeling ... I love watching projects grow ... and love seeing them finished. Plus it is such a soothing thing to do, I can't help but enjoy the journey!

:)

Faith

I am definitely an end project kind of person. I am the kind of person who rarely finishes any project I start. With crochet I find that I enjoy it so much and I enjoy making little things and I find that I actually finish them and don't even mind the weaving in the ends part too much. This past month I have managed to finish 3 doilies (2 were real small one is HUGE!), 9 snowflakes and 2 bookmarks.

To be able to have something to show off and take pride in is a wonderful accomplishment for me. I do have some bigger projects started that I am sure I will finish, but right now finishing up small stuff is just way too satisfying for me =)

This is a hard one for me, I've been thinking on it for a couple of days and I'm still not sure lol. I love the satisfaction of holding a completed project in my hands... but I also love the journey from picking a pattern, choosing the yarn to use, and the pride I feel when I teach myself a new stitch.... I also love to gift things that I make, it's a wonderful feeling to share something that you've poured your heart and time into and have that thing be appreciated. So all I can say is I love the entire process :))

Marvie

Hmmm.... To me it's a little of both. I like the hunt for new and different patterns and then choosing the yarn. Then the finished product is the icing on my cake.:fall

To me, it is the end product. While I love to look through my patterns and yarn and take what seems eons to decide what I am going to do next (of course, I have to have a few going at the same time, since you know it is a law that we crafters cannot be working on only one project otherwise the craft police will find us) and then just relax and crochet away till I get to the end. Then it goes to its final destination, whether it is for a charitable project, a gift or just for me. Just knowing, in the case of a charitable item, that someone, somewhere out there, knows that somebody cared enough to make them something warm or needed, makes me feel good. And also, to know that a gift to a friend or relative is appreciated, also gives me that good feeling to continue in both areas.

LI Roe

For me, the end product is great but I guess what motivates me is the challenge to see if I can master a pattern or a stitch.

The whole creative process from picking colors to the right stitch pattern combination and sitting quietly with myself while I work, is what I love most about crocheting. The end product is kinda like "bonus, look what I have".

Great question, by the way.

~DAWN

I used to say finished piece, but lately I've been trying to perfect a dog sweater for my chihuahuas. I must have made my dogs 8 sweaters so far, and I'm really enjoying getting it just right.I'm tearing out alot of paper from notebooks but having fun with the whole process.Plus my doggies look so cute and I think my Bella is actually beginning to not care if I try them on her constantly.

I can't decide! I love to sit down with my yarn and a hook, and just start on something new. I usually don't follow any patterns, (I do use them for guidlines) and I dont always know what I am doing until it's the absolute last minute to decide :lol . For example, I have been working on my youngest sisters birthday present for a while now (just been busy starting new things, classes and such) and I knew it was going to be a tote of some sort, but I was not sure how big until I actually had one side done. I love creating new things, but I also really enjoy seeing them done, so they can be used!:bounce

If I absolutely was pinned down and have to give only one answer, I would have to say it's the preparation for the journey.

I love going into the stores (or online) and gazing at all the hooks, and scissors, and organizing boxes, and the rows upon rows of yarn. There's even a smell I associate with crafting stores, and I get a little high when I walk in the door!

For a close second, it's the process itself, especially on long repetative patterns. I love the feeling of my work in my lap, the rhythm and soothing nature of it (my personal form of meditation). Sometimes I'll have the TV on, or listen to a book on tape, other times it's just me, my hook and yarn, and my thoughts.

Depending on the outcome, sometimes I absolutely dread the end product, especially if I had a lot of trouble while working it. Like socks, I love making them, but am always afraid to try them on once finished, like if they aren't perfect then I've wasted all that yarn. You'd think I'd learned the lesson by now that anything crocheted can be un-crocheted! :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lillian1969

For me its a little of both.i enjoy learning new stitches and doing more and more complicated patterns and having an end product that looks simular to the picture except for maybe color.

Archived