Crochet Old timers

My Grandma taught me single crochet when I was 5. I don't think she wanted to pass on knowledge so much as she wanted me out of her hair! The first thing I made was a blanket for my doll. I'm 45 now, 46 in October. I think that makes me an old-timer.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol

Add me to the "grandma taught me to crochet to get me out of her hair" club.

It was 1983, I was 7, and she taught me a chain with a fairly large hook and a ball of red yarn. It wasn't long before she taught me sc, dc, tc, etc. I picked up on it pretty easily but it's only been in the last year or so that something *clicked* in my brain to make me able to read a pattern.

So for about 22 years I would make things (scarves, blankets, etc.) just from the top of my head. NOW I'm getting into the fun stuff! :D

So I guess you could add me to the baby-oldies. :P

I learned when I was very young, but I didn't make anything big until I was a teenager. My first project was a granny square blanket. I had all these squares made easily, but sewing them together was a pain! I've been creating things on and off again for over 40 years.

I learnt when I was 5. I could crochet before I could read or write. Both my Mum and Nana taught me. I have recollections of being a very small child ala 7ish and visiting some maiden Aunts in Ballarat. They were showing off their crochet rugs as we call them. I was fascinated. I still remember the granny squares done in pretty colours and joined in a moss green. They were involved in the church and used to make squares for the missions. We then visited another Great Aunt in Melbourne and she had done one in a flower pattern. I remember thinking gee I wish I could do something that lovely.

I have recollections of making a burgandy and pink granny vest for my self when I was about 10, and a fluoro striped poncho. I felt so cool. Somewhere I have a pictuir of me in this poncho which my kids find pretty amusing. This was in the late 60s. I guess i have been crocheting for over 40 years now, and I still enjoy is as much as ever. :manyheart It is my haven for relaxation and escape for personal creativity.

I guess I fall in the old timers catagory too....I'm 43 and I don't know exactly when I learned....I was probably 8 or 9 so that makes 35 years?!? Yikes! How did that happen? Time sure flies.

Wellllll....I was in Jr Hi the first time I picked up a hook...learned how to make a chain and "come back", single crochet. I was maybe 11??? Now I'm 48, and that means 37 years I've been doing this. :eek :eek :eek :eek

HEY...you'd think I'd be an expert by now instead of "arguing" with this bag pattern I'm making!

Gee, I'm now an "old-timer." First time for everything!:lol

Actually, I am kinda old -- 55 soon. My mom taught me to crochet when I was about 7 (1958). In those days (the "olden times," as my kids used to say), everyone crocheted with thread, so that's what I learned on -- crocheting edgings on my mom's cloth table napkins. I didn't use yarn until I went to college (1969), and everyone else was knitting. I just couldn't get the hang of knitting -- never did -- so I started crocheting with yarn. After tons of scarves, I had enough yarn and leftovers for a scrap afghan, which I still have around here somewhere.

I could never interest my own daughter in crochet, but she is expecting, so maybe I can pass it on to the grandchild.

I've been crocheting since I was seven, forty seven years ago.Learn to crochet wash cloths with string we got from all the merchants....butcher, bakery etc., etc. Never had a pattern until I got married ..... even now its hard to work from a pattern without changing something. Old in age perhaps, but young in heart.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm a middle ager. I taught myself in 1997. I got the yarn and the hooks my mother left when she died (enough to fill a 13-gallon bag!):yarn I decided it would be a terrible waste to leave it. She never wanted to teach me because I'm left handed, so I just got a book, and I never looked back. I was about 46. Time flies when you're having fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My mother needed a way to keep me sitting in one place for more than five minutes, so she taught me to crochet when I was around 6 or 7, then embroidery when I was around 9. I've been doing one or the other since, so about 30 years? :2eek

Oh my.

Dear grandma Entwistle taught me when i was 8, way back in "73" :lol. I did not however, learn to read a pattern until I was 19. That was self-taught.

Im another young oldie. I learned when i was about 12 and im 24 now, so (as if you couldnt work it out - lol) im a 12 year old timer

I started crocheting in 1956, when I was 17 years old. I'm 67 now, so I guess you know that it's been 50 years! Seems like there's always something new & fascinating out there that keeps me crocheting. I have a bunch of those Annie's Attic bed doll patterns and I've made about 6 of them. A neighbor saw one in progress and wanted to know if I'd make one for her if she bought the thread and the doll--like that was a big favor! When I explained how many hours it takes to make one of those, she kinda backed down! Love those patterns tho....

Archived