How do you get to your favorite yarn store?

CLLinda

Well, I'm blind so I can't drive myself (phooey!), and most of the good yarn stores are in more upscale neighborhoods that don't have good public transit, but fortunately, my two best friends are also crocheters and can usually be convinced to take me on a yarn-buying expedition.

• 1 month later...

Actually, the store just closed last month:( because one of the owners developed cancer and they decided to close the store. I am very bummed about it. It was a very nice place, and they had teachers, a backroom and tons of yarn and supplies. I do hope that maybe after the cancer is gone, maybe they will open the shop again. It was open about two years. It is very sad.:(

So I guess I am back to JoAnns, Michael's, and Wal-mart for my yarn. :) Or maybe I should try using up my stash----Not a good idea. I like new yarn.

Linda:manyheart

I guess I am a little more fortunate, I have 3 Joanne's, 2 Michael's and a Walmart and a Meijer store not too far away. The farthest that I would have to drive is about 10 miles and the least is 5 miles. Not too bad considering that I'm out in the sticks too. There's no corner stores by me. I just get in my trusty automobile and drive myself in. If I can't find what I want in stores, I just go on-line and let my mouse do the shopping.:wink

I feel a little bit lucky!

I have 2 about a 15 minute walk away (but in opposite directions from my house), but I'm only a 40 minute walk from town, and there's 3 there (but not all are created equal ;)).

My fave is about 40 minutes away, walking, and I pass there most days on my way to campus.

But - last night my partner told me he saw a new shop I might like (I'm unsure at this point if it's fibre, or fabric but it'll be worth a look). And somehow he managed to get today off work (I'm not ruling out murder at this point - it's a Saturday) so he's going to take me to see it!

Like many others I drive too. I have 2 walmarts and 3 meijers stores close by (30 minutes maybe), and then there is JoAnnes and Michaels but I really don't like them, too pricey, but my new fave is about 1hr away and worth the drive! Great prices, awesome close outs, (like 40$ Emotive kits for 5 bucks each! 5-7 50gm balls of yarn in each!) WOOHOO!:cheer:clap:yay Of course right now it's fun to do the "Dollar Tour" as I'm calling it! All the $ stores around here are carrying yarn right now so far I've found Ping Pong, Evita, and Pebbles! Love it!

Traci

I generally drive when I _have_ to go out. I'm not a person who likes to shop. I also try to run my errands in as quick a route as possible. :eek

Usually I hit the local Wallyworld that's about 5 mins away. If I want to go to another WalMart, Joanns, or Michaels, there are two sets of them within 20 minutes of driving in a couple of directions. Just have to time the traffic right or it's nasty nasty driving. I swear people will run you off the road for giggles around here sometimes! :angry

I walk to the thrift shop down the block from where I live and browse through the sweaters til I find something worth frogging for the yarn. LOL!

I buy online also, but only when I'm desperate for something specific.

With the exception of Building 19 and Walmart for Peaches and Cream cones, I buy all my yarn on-line. I don't think I have paid over $3 a skein for anything and it is all good stuff. I scope out the sales at Herschnerrs and Webs and Smiley's has some beautiful stuff (Filatura Lanarota DK is one of my favorites!) for great prices.

My wal-mart and Michaels are a 20-25 minute drive from my house, so any other mode of transportation would be out of the question. I wish things were closer, but not enough to change where I live, I like rural living!:)

I see a lot of you are in the same boat I am...Walmart and Michaels are about 10 miles away in either direction. We have a LYS, but they are hopelessly snobbish in there. Not just my opinion--another friend of mine had the same experience. My absolute favorite is AC Moore, but that's a 40 minute drive, as is JoAnn Fabrics. I'm tempted to try out another LYS in a neighboring town, as I've heard good things about them.

Otherwise, I tend to order online--especially seeing as gas prices have skyrocketed lately. At times, it's actually cheaper to pay the shipping on yarn than to pay for the gas to drive to AC Moore.

• 3 weeks later...

OH! I am so lucky! My favourite yarn store is just a hop, skip and a jump down the street! Couldn't be more than a football field away:clap !

Hi Gang,

My favorite yarn store is in Woodstock, 10 miles away. So I drive.

Do you drive? Or have DH take you there? Or take the bus? Or Walk? Or Take an airplane?

What is your mode of transportation to your favorite yarn store?

Linda:manyheart

My favorites are in Mesa, AZ and Sturgeon Bay, WI so I only get to visit them once a year. Where do you go in Woodstock? That is certainly much closer to me!

• 2 weeks later...

I make a trip( I drive) to a bigger City about 1 time a wk.. then i do Hobby lobby. micheals and Jo Ann. I just ordered from yarnmarket this week. This weekend I am going to the MIL house and going to see if dh will drive to Columbia Mo to see about some yarn shops up there.

• 4 weeks later...

i drive to the Rag shop which is 20 miles away , when i go to pick up my daughter from her dad's i stop at michael's which is "in her back yard" they put a shopping complex at the end of her block .....whooooohoooo....and i go to walmart also which is about a 5 min. drive

I drive to the stores and/or shop online. Walmart, Joannes, Michaels and A.C. Moore are all within 10 minutes of my house. Sure wish we had a Hobby Lobby around here...just to see what they're like.

My dh takes me to walmart since its all we have in town. I might try to talk my dad into a trip to a town about an hour and a half drive away so i can check out what Hobby Lobby is like. If I do that though it means a trip to Tandy leather too.

Archived