Join the Crochet Olympics

i got the sleeves of my shrug finished and 5 rows on the trim or ruffle. whatever you want to call it. i'm using the suggested shell stitch ruffle that mrs. who used. it's getting bigger, so it's more of a pain to keep turning. but, my weinerdog loves it. there's plenty to snuggle under while i crochet. the sleeves went fast, but the rest of it is gonna take the most time. last night i got tired of looking at the blue, so i stopped and made dude a 12" square. it was a nice break and today i'm back to shrugging.:cheer

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress Updates (going to do both, just because I can!)

I love this...good attitude...

my weinerdog loves it. there's plenty to snuggle under while i crochet.

Oh, too cute...*heavenly sigh!*

Am off for a short trip to Venice today, so will pack crochet in my main luggage as I've heard that if they think my hook is a weapon they confiscate & DON'T RETURN IT:angry That would really set me back!

Have a great trip...and now when I travel and want to crochet, I use plastic hooks...haven't had a problem with that yet...

Like an idiot I picked up the Lion Brand book today and had NEVER noticed that the back cover has a picture of the cutaway jacket...so for those of you that have that book...the back cover (so you don't have to paw inside the book for the page - unless of course you want to...)

I'm doing a happy dance...I went to Amazon to see if they had the back cover on the site and unfortunatley they don't...but...

I had written a review for the book, and they accepted the review! I'm the 2nd review...right under the review by someone who claims to have hated the book and what Lion Brand did with the "modern" tweaks...oh well, to each their own. I don't understand that reviewer's logic...but whatever...

Just had to share!

Oh and here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400080614/qid=1139831960/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9703809-3301503?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I've brought my cardigan to work with me and hopefully, over lunch, I can get my sleeve shaping done (or at least started).

I keep having this terrible feeling that I'm going to run out of the yarn. Maybe I'll post a trade for it, just in case. I can always use it in something else if I have too much. But I'm probably just being paranoid anyway.

Go Go Go!:cheer

Uh oh. I haven't started yet! Power crocheting on my nephew's 'ghan has been hard on me. My hand/ wrist is feeling better this morning (still some numbness so I wont get a lot done) so I think I'm gonna get going on a baby 'ghan since I said I wouldn't change catagories on poor Anna again. The nephew 'ghan isn't quite finished so I'll switch back and forth on that. I ordered the Lion Brand Vintage Knit & Crochet book last night. I absolutely love the cardigan on the cover- I just hope I can figure out how to extend the size so it will fit me. It looked very flattering, and well... I'm very fluffy! LOL

Has anyone used the knitter's support glove (can be found at joann.com?) Does it work and is it very restrictive? I have glove/brace issues- can't stand anything on my hands (or my feet go figure...)

I just wanted to add how well I think everyone is doing! Wow, so many beautiful projects being made. I've been reading along with the posts as this has gone along and just keep thinking, "WOW!" Way to go, everyone!!!

Cris~

I just hope I can figure out how to extend the size so it will fit me. It looked very flattering, and well... I'm very fluffy! LOL

It's actually very easy to do...you just add rows...I added a good couple of inches, about 6 rows I think...and it fits perfectly...easiest pattern adjustment I've ever done...

Good luck and take care...

Took Mary Ann back to college today. Hubby drove both ways, so I sat in the back and crocheted all the way.

I too had a nice four hour car ride in which to crochet.

While the Flying Tomato was burning up the half pipe I was flying down the rows of my small afghan. I went from a mere 6 inches to 14 inches. Yahoo! It's looking great. Someday this old girl will figure out how to post pictures, but until then, you'll just have to take my word for it.

eurolyons-What are you making I am sure I missed it somewhere? It sounds as if you are really enjoying what you are working on.

As for me I will be unable to crochet until later and then I have to take my MIL to the hospital for tests soooo..... I hope I can hit the 15 mark for today so I can keep my lead!!!

Jimmy Lu...this is what I made...the romantic cardigan...all finished...

47b6dc33b3127cce977f7841890100000035118BZuHDlwyao

And what I'm making now is the Cutaway Coat from the same book the cardigan came from...

Everyone is doing so well! Congratulations. :yay:2rock

All you who have FINISHED are amazing! You have tenacious crafting skills and good judgment. I am a bit afraid I've bitten off more than I can chew. I spent all day crocheting yesterday and I have 9 motifs and 2 filler motifs done on my table runner. The number of threads I will have to weave in is going to make this one tough event. However, I am almost finished with a 2nd UFO!:)

Today, my Olympic event is in knitting, though I will continue to crochet my many WIP in between the event.

Jimmie Lu: When I read the number of squares you were able to complete in one sitting I was astounded. I know you'll make a record by the end of the Olympics. Good luck in meeting your goal! Hope your MIL is okay.

Okay, so Michele and Barbara Jean, can you refresh me on what you are making?

I am making a shrug/bolero from LA booklet (4 Crochet Shrugs). There is a pic on my blog from the booklet. Instead of using chenille (too hot) I am making it thinner using Caron SS. I hope o get a pic up today of my progress.

Speaking of progress...I finished the back last night & started on the sleeves. It looks too small even though I'm using the medium size pattern. I may be adding rows to mine too. We'll see if it looks like it will fit, as I progress to joining it together.

I love reading your updates & looking at everyones progress pics. You guys are doing great! I'll try to post a pic today.

I love that yellow is it Simply soft??? Recently JulieKay sent me some as a RAOK and now I am in love with Simply soft. I wish I could get it here but sadly I can not. When I make a treck from boonieville to the big Walmart I will see if they have it. otherwise I have to be ROAKED or beg to get some! I have some that I am making sqs with for this project and it should be enough for one whole gahn.

JimmyLu...I used Lion Brand Baby Soft...it's very nice to work with...I'm still not sure about the yellow though...it's not a color I normally wear except for the occasional teeshirt...

Everyone is doing great...go everyone...Go Team Wearables...

...I wish I could get it here but sadly I can not. When I make a treck from boonieville to the big Walmart I will see if they have it...

Good news, Jimmie Lu, WM does carry it and they carry a pretty decent color selection (nothing compares to Red Heart for color selection though, too bad.)

I soooooo cannot wait to get that book now! LOL

Cris~

It looks like everyone is really making progress! I am so impressed with some of the items people are making. They all look (and sound) lovely!

Progress report: I should be able to finish up my second scarf today and start on the next one. My next scarf is made of motifs, so I'll actually have to pay attention to my gauge. ;) I've also decided to include a lapghan in my "Oylmpic events" to challenge myslef a bit more. I found a pattern I think my MIL will love, and this seems like the perfect time to get it done.

I love that yellow is it Simply soft??? Recently JulieKay sent me some as a RAOK and now I am in love with Simply soft. I wish I could get it here but sadly I can not. When I make a treck from boonieville to the big Walmart I will see if they have it. otherwise I have to be ROAKED or beg to get some! I have some that I am making sqs with for this project and it should be enough for one whole gahn.

Most Wallie's carry some SimplySoft.. but to get a full selection of their colors (EVEN the discontinued colors..) go to http://www.shop.caron.com

I recently ordered from them and while not extremely speedy, their delivery time was good. AND amazingly, at the time I ordered.. their 6oz skeins were the same price as the 3oz skeins. Go figure.

Hooray for everyone who has progress!! I salute you!!

I, uhhh... :blush

Well, I started! I have about 20 rows done - out of like 156 or something like that. I think maybe I should've picked a *pillow* for my first graph project; but now that I've started this and I can see how cute it's going to be, there's no going back. [Even if I don't complete it before the end of the Olympics!]

It's not actually as difficult as I'd expected, but it sure is a lot slower working with all different colors. I can only do a couple rows at a time before I want to :thair and then I have to switch to another project so I don't get too frustrated. I've been working on another afghan, which has been a WIP for-e-ver, but which also uses the same yarn/hook combo so I can switch back and forth easily.

Honestly, at this point if I get it half done before the Olympics, I will consider it a success!!

Washing clothes today and while waiting for the dyer to stop, worked on my sweater.Done with the front and back..Going to start the sleeves next..

backandfrontsweater.jpg

Looks like everybody is working non-stop...:cheerGo team wearables:cheer

i have just a small part of my summer top done. i unfortunately had to work this weekend....and couldn't really get any crocheting done.....but since then, i have sewn together the cups of the top and the back part...now I am working on a shell stitch so that is a little time consuming...but it looks good so far..:)

I joined and started some time Friday afternoon. I'm making a ripple sweater, making the pattern up as I go. I'm using Berroco Softwist in Turquoise and Ginger, Dune 'Copper Patina' yarn (which matches the turquoise and ginger colors to a shocking degree) and an off-white Microspun. I wouldn't even use the Microspun, but that other yarn is expensive and I needed something cheaper to take up some space.

I've finished the front and have done about 1/5 of the back. I was feeling pretty proud until I saw you guys. Man, you all are amazing, how can you go so fast? Well, I did have to spend a couple of hours working on a V-Day scarf. But still. As it is, my wrist hurts and my fingers feel a little numb.

I'm really afraid of the Dune yarn not making it. I'm using as little as possible, only doing 1 row of sc of it while doing 2 rows dc of the others in the pattern, but still, it's just not very much for almost $14. Cursed poverty! It might turn my sweater into a sleeves tank. :ohdear

--nikki

I joined and started some time Friday afternoon. I'm making a ripple sweater, making the pattern up as I go. I'm using Berroco Softwist in Turquoise and Ginger, Dune 'Copper Patina' yarn (which matches the turquoise and ginger colors to a shocking degree) and an off-white Microspun. I wouldn't even use the Microspun, but that other yarn is expensive and I needed something cheaper to take up some space.

--nikki

Wow nikki! That ripple sweater sounds awesome! I can't wait to see a photo of it done!

Washing clothes today and while waiting for the dyer to stop, worked on my sweater.Done with the front and back..Going to start the sleeves next..

backandfrontsweater.jpg

Looks like everybody is working non-stop...:cheerGo team wearables:cheer

Your sweater looks beautiful. Do you mind my asking... what pattern are you using?

Archived