Yarn event at Michaels

donnalynn2

Three olive, that would be a perfect day of shopping for me!! Love the soup at Panera, and ice cream at the stone cold would cheer me.... now I am hungry for ice cream.. to bad I can't have it due to allergies

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not enter the crochet contest, because there were about seven other women entering. The Michael's lady said that they were going to do the contest a little differently because there were so many entrants.

There was one Boye K hook and one skein of yarn (RH or Caron). The employee did the chain and a base row of 20 dc. Then, she timed the first lady for two minutes...how many ever dc she could do on that base. The stitches were noted, then the second lady picked up where the first ended, and they just counted from there. No frogging or anything.

Does that seem kinda wonky to anyone else? I mean, everyone's sitting there watching *you* crochet. I was under the impression that each person got a skein and a hook and competed at the same time. It sure did take a long time for them to pass the hook, so to speak. I went and did some shopping during the contest...saw the beginning and saw the end. Anyway, the winner did 31 dc in two minutes. I'm gonna have hubby time me later tonight, just for giggles.

Only one lady showed up for the knitting contest. :heehee

I was a little disappointed in the whole thing. The employees were so totally bored, it seemed. It might've been more fun if they'd acted like they were having fun, too. No great yarn bargains at my store.

I was there. :)

I totally agree with everything you said. I was ticked the way she did it. One lady who'd done it there before even told her they all did their own last time. We were timed for two minutes so our stitch count is less than anyone here. No biggie. lol

I was nervous too and shaked horribly. Nothing like pressure of having everyone watch you. I came in second by one stitch. Honestly I tied but I counted wrong and didn't want to correct myself after I'd said it out loud. Didn't want to sound like nit picky loser. LOL

Our gift basked sucked. It was one hook (don't know what size or brand), once skein of a white with baby colored flecked yarn, and one of purple eyelash. Not trying to be greedy but I really don't need another regular hook or one skein of either of what they choose.

We actually had a tie, so the sales lady made another basket for her but I didn't stay to see if it was any different.

They did have only one knitter but they convinced another lady who was there watching to do it. I didn't stay to see how that turned out.

As for you timing yourself tonight, I'm sure you'll do great with no one there to watch you and no pressure to beat everyone else. :lol

I am thinking about timing myself too. The full three minutes. ;)

I won at my Michael's; there were three other crocheters, and bunch of nice knitters hung around after their contest to cheer us on. We went for five minutes instead of three. My kids managed to not destroy anything or pester me too mercilessly. (My daughter held up a "Go, Mom!" sign which was both cute and embarrassing; luckily, craft store patrons are generally child-friendly and -tolerant.)

The hooks/needles in use depended on what they have enough stock of to make sure that everyone uses the same item. At my store, they let us keep the hook and the yarn, which was nice -- it was very friendly and pleasant.

We did our own foundation chains of 20, and put in at the third stitch from the hook. By my count (I kept my swatch), I managed to get 19 stitches on each row, so something must have gone terribly wrong -- seems like the swatch should be 17 stitches. I ended up doing 84 stitches in five minutes. Regardless of my possibly-too-long row, I was a lot faster than everyone else; the nearest person only finished three rows (I did four and a half).

I was at one of the bigger, newer Michael's out in the more remote suburbs -- I needed some stuff for a kid diorama that my regular tiny cranky store doesn't stock. And now that I know that some stores are reselling the used hooks and needles, well, I'm just going to keep going to the one that worked out so well.

I got a set of Boye hooks, Susan Bates stitch markers, two skeins Red Heart Baby Clouds, Susan Bates needle protectors (no use for a crocheter, right?), and a Leisure Arts baby afghan book with 19 patterns.

I'd do it again, just to get the hooks. I keep losing mine. Right now I can't finish a knitting project because I lost one of my stinking needles and I don't want to buy any more and I don't want to frog it so I just keep hoping it'll turn up.

--Elissa

You were?! Which one were you? I wish we could've introduced ourselves. :(

I was there. :)

I totally agree with everything you said. I was ticked the way she did it. One lady who'd done it there before even told her they all did their own last time. We were timed for two minutes so our stitch count is less than anyone here. No biggie. lol

I was nervous too and shaked horribly. Nothing like pressure of having everyone watch you. I came in second by one stitch. Honestly I tied but I counted wrong and didn't want to correct myself after I'd said it out loud. Didn't want to sound like nit picky loser. LOL

Our gift basked sucked. It was one hook (don't know what size or brand), once skein of a white with baby colored flecked yarn, and one of purple eyelash. Not trying to be greedy but I really don't need another regular hook or one skein of either of what they choose.

We actually had a tie, so the sales lady made another basket for her but I didn't stay to see if it was any different.

They did have only one knitter but they convinced another lady who was there watching to do it. I didn't stay to see how that turned out.

As for you timing yourself tonight, I'm sure you'll do great with no one there to watch you and no pressure to beat everyone else. :lol

I am thinking about timing myself too. The full three minutes. ;)

I had so much fun at my local contest today. I didn't win though. Only 4 people competed. My best friend, myself, and 2 other women. We had to chain 23, and do 20 dc's for a total of 21dc/row. We then had 2 min. to do as many as we could. I get really nervous and after the first minute my hands started shaking like crazy! Even though I didn't win, the cool thing was that my friend and I tied!! We also had ours in the front of the store. I don't know why considering there we all those empty classrooms in the back. I hated having a dozen or so people watching me. Not to mention my DH stood about 6 inches behind me. I was a good sport, not a sore loser. I can't wait to do it next time. Congrats to all of you guys that won at your store!!

I didn't do well at all. But I didn't expect to. I was just going to go watch, but I was hooked (no pun intended) into competing.

My stitch of choice is single crochet, so of course, it's a double crochet competition. And the absolute hardest part for me is the first row (getting the yarn through the chain).

Five competitors, I came in fourth (with 22 stitches...told you I'm slow). :blush Two people tied with 44, so they had a crochet-off to determine the winner. The winner received a gift basket of yarn and a book.

Crazy thing...no one showed up for knitting.

By the way, at my Michaels, there are classes for the Knifty Knitter. :)

OMG, how funny, I jsut baught a nifty knitter today and was going to ask for patterns here when I got home! There wa sa book, it has a stole, some scarves, some hats and a pillow, if anyone would like it and you cant find it I would be happy to pick it up and send it to you, just pm me:hook

Good job everyone. even if youdidnt win, at least youhad the nerve to go, I didnt, lol

They also had ours right at the front of the store. I swear people were all sorts of grumpy today. The lady who won the knitting contest and I had our picture taken as well.

btw, does anyone here know of a place to get patterns online for those knifty knitter kits? I won one through a drawing adn the lady who was at the table showing how to use them said there really weren't any nifty knitter loom books....to try online.

Here is a link to some patterns

http://www.macphersoncrafts.com/FreeProjects/FreeProject_KniftyKnitter_Detail.asp

I lost. :ohdear But actually it was such a fiasco that I started giggling and almost quit halfway into it. Lol!

First, I had DS (18 mo) with me sitting in a cart. He was tired, cranky and started acting like he was getting a cold. So I had to stand up at my cart for the competition (my choice). They handed us each a skein of acrylic yarn and a Boye hook. Right away I realize that I'm screwed cuz I can't crochet with a Boye to save my life. :yuck

I didn't have anywhere to put my skein of acrylic yarn, so I tucked it in my armpit to hold. Ummm...that dosen't work! Duh! So I hand the skein to DS, which of course turns out to be almost as bad an idea as holding it under my arm.....except that at the same time I'm also fighting with a knot of yarn and can't pull any yarn out of the skein. At that moment DS throws my yarn to the floor, yanking the knot out into the open, where I frantically start picking away at it.

"Two minutes ladies!" says the time keeper.

I've finally gotten the knot undone, but at this point, I'm so frazzled that I can barely make a stitch. I can't handle the damn hook, I have no idea what my stitch count is, and I start giggling because it's so awful. At least I hope I was laughing, cuz I also felt a little like crying. Lol!

When they finally called time, I think I had a row and a half completed. Well, sorta completed. Some of my DC stitches were more like Mutant DCs from Outer Space. The winner got to go pick out $25 worth of store merchandise. Whhhaaaaahahahahaaaaa!! :cry

I'm so glad to hear so many went to michaels I also went. I just had the intention of watching the contest. But since I got there so early I

volunteer to join squares for warm-up America the lady was very

happy and she kept thanking me for volunteering. There was a contest

for knitting,crochet and for the nifty knitter there were like two for that one

the other lady that volunteer to join the squares won the contest.

I joined the

crochet contest but I was so nervous my hands started shaking and there were

alot of people watching and some ladies that were standing behind me were

saying how the other contestant was crocheting

that they had never seen her style and how fast she was that got

more nervous and I really didn't need so I lost I knew If I had been

relaxed and all that I would have won. A few weeks ago I had been timing

myself I was fast but oh well maybe next year and I the lady that

won left so fast that she didn't wait to be congratulated, I enter a ruffle

and I won a nifty knitter I was so surprise that I won anything

and right before that I was thinking of buying one right after

I finished joining my square good thing I didn't. I had alot fun today

I can't wait for next year.:hook

All of you who went to Michael's either to participate or just watch, should email Michaels. Tell them what you saw and how some of the problems can be fixed. The rules should be set from the main company. The amount of the prize should also be set. They should probably give the winners a $25 gift certificate. Doing this would be a fair prize. This way you could get things you like and can use. Congratulations to all the winners and a big hooray for all who participated.

I was going to go in the knitting contest...but I chickened out. Now that I have heard so many of you had the guts to try, I think I will next time.

Here's to the brave souls that competed: :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Well, good grief! You were making a call on your cell phone after the competition as I walked past you toward the yarn, then you came back to the yarn, and we practically bumped into one another. I had on a red shirt, tan pants, shoulder-length wavy brown hair. :D How cool is that? We will have to meet up there sometime!

Black shirt, long blonde hair.

It would have been nice to meet you. We should set some day to just meet there and oogle yarn. :lol

I went to my local Michael's here, they had the tables set up in the front, but there was only the employee sitting at the table. I said I'd like to sign up for the contest and she said, well, we aren't having one because no one signed up. Oo,,,,K. I said, I see you are doing the demo of the Nifty Knitter, and she said oh yea, it is on sale today. If you want to be in the drawing put your name in here. So, I did. I had some shopping to look at and came back up at about 2 PM and there were still no people to sign up. It was like no one cared. When I asked her about the drawing she said they had already had it, and I said, oh I didn't even hear you announce it! She said well the lady was standing right here so I didn't bother. Oo....k. I asked this employee whether she knitted or crocheted and she said, Jeez, with trying to keep my house clean and all the crap I have to do I barely have time to sleep much less do crafts! (She did look as though she needed some sleep:) Well, I did come home quite disappointed. It was like they really didn't even care, it was very poorly handled. There wasn't even a gift basket put together in case anyone had wanted to enter. When I checked out I said to the cashier, where is Scott? (I am also an ex-employeee of Michaels) and the guy said, Oh Scott walked out. They treated him like a DOG!! Too bad because the quality of the Michael's is going down, and it is a shame. I loved all the people I worked for but their High UP management is the absolute worst. Not the local managers, but the district. I miss my friends but not the way they treat you. :D

The woman who handled the whole thing at my local store yesterday meant well but it wasn't all that great. For the knifty knitter drawing she would grab a kid and have them pull a name. I watched for both the 1 and 2 pm drawings and both kids pulled out the entry right on top (she didn't bother to mix them around) and both people that won were relatives of employees...

I agree about the upper management of Michaels. They really treat most employees and customers badly. Everytime I have an exchange or return I dread if this one FES is working because she always gives me the third degree and is nasty.

I cannot wait for our Hobby Lobby to open! One week from today! YIPPEEE! If their selection is half as good as Michaels, I may never go in there again!

I went to the yarn event at Michael's in Meriden yesterday. What a dissapointment! They had nothing going on except for some kids winding yarn around some cones and a woman demonstrating the kniffty knitter. I didn't enter for it because there was nothing for me to do for the hour before they were going to draw for one. The yarns for sale were not that great a sale, and I wanted to sign up for knitting classes but they didn't have anyone to teach one yet! They wanted to know if I wanted to teach crochet but I don't have time, I already work full time. I did sign up to crochet together squares on February 26th. Hopefully they might have a knitting teacher by then and I can sign up for classes. I definitly prefer A.C. Moore's over Michael's. Larger selection of yarn and books.

Wendyb532

I think it's a good suggestion to write to Michael's and maybe let them know that their events could have been a bit more organized. I mean the whole point of having these things is to get people into the store, sell products and get people interested in crafting..... the people that were at the Michael's where I live were pretty much getting scrapbooking stuff. The lady who handled the contests was actually pretty nice and did a good job making sure it was done well. The knifty knitter lady could have done more demonstrations and the back tables had no one but employees there working on squares.

A few times I saw women with children asking where the kids crafts were and they were sent to the back only to come back up front disappointed because all they had were these pieces of cardboard to wind yarn around....boring! Especially for a craft store.

I think I will email them and let them know.

Well, good grief! You were making a call on your cell phone after the competition as I walked past you toward the yarn, then you came back to the yarn, and we practically bumped into one another. I had on a red shirt, tan pants, shoulder-length wavy brown hair. :D How cool is that? We will have to meet up there sometime!

Oh that's so funny! And very cool. I'd love to meet up, let me know. :)

the competition at the michaels near my house was cancelled due to the fact that the woman in charge never showed. it was disappointing because I wanted to see others crochet/knit and how fast others can go. i guess there is always next year :hook

Archived