Yarn event at Michaels

donnalynn2

I went into Michaels today because they marked all the Christmas stuff at 90% off! I got a huge cartfull of stuff for less than $15 :clap:clap:clap

Anyway, I was talking to the lady in charge of all the demos and such (we were always friends when I worked there) and they are having another Yarn Event on Sunday, Jan 29th. I am going to make sure I go and enter into the fastest crocheter contest. She told me that the same person has won the last 3 times. I'm wondering if it's because she's really good or that there aren't that many people there? I'm going to really prepare myself as she told me that she usually puts together some really nice baskets for prize winners.

She said all the Michaels are doing it on that day. For your info...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the flyer and it's the 29th from 12-5 and the fastest crocheting/knitting contest starts at 2:00 PM. They are also having a Knitting Loom demonstration making flowers, a kids yarn craft event and a charity square making thing for making blankets if anyone is interested. They also have a drop box for 7" X 9" squares.

Do you know how they do it? like how to they time you?

Judy (the lady who is in charge of it at my local store) told me that a couple days beforehand corporate gives her rules. I was thinking it would be kinda like how many DC's you can do in a minute, but she was saying that usually it's a swatch and whoever finishes in like 3 minutes with the biggest swatch wins. She said that everyone uses the same hooks and yarn and all, however, even so, if they aren't counting the stitches it really wouldn't be accurate, right? I mean, I crochet quite loosely where as other people crochet very tight so 2 of us could have the same amount of stitches but different sized swatches... I am going to go in there maybe a day or 2 before hand and see if she'll give me a heads up. If it's SC I'll be toast as I do those stitches slower than any other. I would love either a HDC or DC contest. But, I guess we will see...

I teach crochet/knit classes here at the Michaels where I live and will be one of the judges for the contest and will be demonstrating some of the items I make to promote classes, I will let you know how it turns out here for Sun. Jan 29th :hook .

Sharon, how cool that you teach there. I talked to the manager at the Michael's in my old neighborhood about 5 years ago and told them they should start offering crocheting and/or knitting classes and to call me if they wanted me to teach...but I never heard back from them. Of course that was a long time ago and they probably lost my number.

This contest might be worth a trip over there. Sounds like fun. :hook

DonnaLynn, please keep us posted on the rules! Thanks!:hug

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted in the other thread, according to the lady that takes care of these things at my local Michaels, the home office sends her a list of what projects to have, what kind of prizes to give away and the details of the contests.

From what I understand, the same woman wins both the knitting and crocheting (fastest) contests every year and that she's super fast. Then again, from what I was told hardly anyone enters. I am really hoping I win! It's not fair that she can win both contests! I figure if you win one, you should be disqualified from the other... Oh well... I'm going to enter but I highly doubt I'll win one of the gift baskets as I used to work there. Thank goodness the lady that takes care of these things and I are still friends! :hook

According to the CGOA (http://www.crochet.org/index.shtml) Lisa Gentry can crochet an average of 170 dc per minute?!!! Am I the only person that finds this impossible to believe. That is more than 2dc per SECOND!!!! No one crochets that quickly, no matter how practiced you are.

I timed myself for 10 minutes (as per the guidelines-20 dc with ww and a 6mm hook) and I only averaged 80 per minute which I thought was pretty incredible.

Does anyone else have any info?

not trying to be rude or cause a great controversy but.. reading what you are saying.. it says to me you should be basically penalized for knowing how and being good at both knit and crochet.. how fair is that ? and if she is equally good at both .. more power to her !

Well to be honest I'm jealous that I can't knit! :devil

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it when one person comes away winning everything at any competition. I am more of a "share the wealth" kind of thing...

Not that my views are going to change the rules. But I am entitled to my opinion however wrong it may be... :hook

I have a question for anyone who has done the contest. I have heard that it's how many dc's you can get done in 3 min. Does that count the chain and first double crochet row? I'm practicing like crazy for the contest on sunday. I just wanted a heads up on what exactly I will have to do. So far I'm up to 48 dc's. Not sure if that's good or bad.

hmm got to check out that sale.. I got two nice Michael gift cards for Christmas.

Have you seen Lisa Gentry's website? She holds the title for fastest crocheter now.

http://www.caneyladyscreations.com/

I thought Lily Chin was the world's fastest crocheter?

Ok, as far as the contest. I asked Judy (the lady at Michaels who takes care of these things) about it and she said it's not how many DC's you can do in 3 mins but it's who can make the largest swatch. Now I don't think that's fair as we all crochet at a different tension so 50 DC's I make may be quite a bit larger than 50 DC's you make. I hope she misspoke because I would think that the only fair way to do it would be to count...

I was also wondering if you had to start a CH first as well.

she WAS til lisa gentry beat her and she wasnt a good sport about being beaten either

Really? Wow! Where have I been? So Lily Chin is a sore loser huh? Well it certainly helped push her into the limelight having won so I'm sure she lost a little stock in her "name" when she lost...

Do they hold these contests every year or something?

Nope

Check out Lisa Gentry's website she holds the title now don't think Lily did. Not for the Guinness record anyway.

http://www.caneyladyscreations.com/

I have emailed with her and she is a very nice lady. She has some free patterns on her website and offers some for sale. Her patterns are written very well, easy to follow and with pictures.

According to the CGOA (http://www.crochet.org/index.shtml) Lisa Gentry can crochet an average of 170 dc per minute?!!! Am I the only person that finds this impossible to believe. That is more than 2dc per SECOND!!!! No one crochets that quickly, no matter how practiced you are.

I timed myself for 10 minutes (as per the guidelines-20 dc with ww and a 6mm hook) and I only averaged 80 per minute which I thought was pretty incredible.

Does anyone else have any info?

I think she is a member here... I haven't seen her, but I have heard from others that she is fast. I am amazed, too...I just have large stubby fingers. I might not be the fastest, but I have great endurance.

I think mine is having it. I don't think I'm brave enough to try, I'd get totally nervous and drop my hook repeatedly, I just know it. :sweatIt might be fun to go watch though. :hook

Archived