Shawl for a friend

crochet smartcat

Very Very Beautiful....I have not seen the spider stitch before...is it easy???

The shawl if very pretty! It it an original pattern?

The hardest thing about the spider stitch is just being sure that you don't skip stitches. I did that about 3 times through the entire shawl and the pattern is such that you have to frog back to your mistake and fix it, or the next pattern doesn't work out. But it was not difficult and because you are required to count stitches on every row, it is one that while easy to remember and repeat, keeps your mind occupied because you do have to pay attention. I would not call it brainless crochet.

The only original part of the pattern is that I did the stitch so many times across x so many long. I copied the stitch directly out of my stitch book. The pattern is created over 11 rows (though the pattern instructions has 13 rows, I reserved the 13th row for my very last row, rather than repeating it with every pattern). The 1st row is just dc in every stitch across and the 13 row is the same, so I decided I just wanted those rows at the beginning and end of the shawl.

I am a fairly quick crocheter (IMHO) and the shawl took me all day Friday (with interruptions from kids and such) and then about 5 hours on Saturday (again with interruptions), so I think it was a fairly quick pattern and worked up quite easily (as long as I was paying attention).

What a beautiful shawl! The spider stitch is new to me, it looks very delicate.

Rosemary

Here is a link to a free pattern that uses the spider stitch (second pattern on the page). It is not exactly the same as the one I used but is similar enough to give you the same look and IT'S FREE. The one I used came from a LA Stitch Booklet "Beginner's Guide Crochet Stitches and Easy Projects". I'm sure it can be found in other stitch books, but this is the version I used.

That is absolutely gorgeous! Your friend is very lucky to have you there to help support her.

I agree! That shawl is lovely, and will bring much comfort I have no doubt.

I love that stitch, it always looks good! Wonderful job you did! :manyheart

Archived