Boxing Day 2021 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Well, I have never been so excited to see the end of one year and the start of a new one.  I am sure that there are millions of people thinking that very same thing this week. Goodbye and good riddance to 2020.  We welcome 2021 with great hope.

The Boxing Day CAL was started many years ago by another Ville member and I started hosting several years ago.  It is named after the Boxing Day holiday and is a celebration of all charity work.  Please stop in whenever you can and share what you are making that will become a charitable donation or tell us about your volunteerism.  This group has inspired me to try, with some success and some failure, many new crochet projects.  I find my attention span is best suited for small items like hats and cat mats, but somehow when items are too small, like birds nests or mini-stockings, they are beyond my reach!  

I am excited to see what we can accomplish this year.  

Denise

So this is how 2020 ended for me. I had those 4 lovies in my car because I hadn't really planned out where I was going to take them. I got a cute bag at the dollar store and had them ready. On the 23rd, a girl at work said that she was taking blankets to the crisis pregnancy center and was asking for cash donations to take as well. I gave her my lovies. On the 29th when she came back to work, she gave them back to me saying that she didn't see anyone else donating "used" toys and was to embarrassed to leave them. Mind you, the stuffed animals still had the tags on them. 

So...1. Never helping her out again, 2. Maybe I will put them in my Etsy shop that has been empty for two years, and 3. Bailey, can your school program place those kinds of toys, or is it all based on the dolls? 

What a jerk!! This is why I was so glad to work with this program because so many places wanted store bought toys even if they were crappier than the hand made stuff being donated.

Dolls are just my toy of choice but they put it all to use. I've made play food and that went over well too. I'm sure the lovies will be happy if you choose not to sell or don't find local place for them.

Sadly with donations being down every where they likely would have been thrilled to have them.  Places around here were begging for stuff at Christmas because lots of people who donate didn't this year for any number of reasons.  Some were financial but others were hurting for hand made stuff because people hadn't gotten together to collect the hats, the scarfs, blankets, etc.

Well, I did not take it personally and to be honest, in retrospect, I should not have been surprised. She's one of those gals that is very superficial and I was actually shocked that she was taking up a collection. My guess would be that she didn't mention that the cash donation had been a collection and not her personal donation.  So I am just considering it a priceless lesson. 

But here is a better story! My SIL's mom mentioned something at Thanksgiving about knitting, crocheting, etc. She mentioned that she would love a hand made scarf. I made her one for Christmas but was unable to see her due to Covid, etc. I sent the scarf home with my SIL and was a little disappointed that I didn't get a text about it. The very day I was slighted at work about the lovies, I received a hand written thank you card in the mail. Some people still appreciate hand made items. So there! I think I am even. 

• Like 1

See this is why when I make something for someone to give, I tell them the price of the yarn plus 3 times if anyone ask.  That way it looks expensive.  I heard someone say that a lot of the charities are not taking handmade stuff, because of the virus.  Believe me, they have less of a chance with homemade then with store bought.

I am being to feel like my Mom.   She made all my cloths till I went to work.  Then when I bought something she would look at it and pick out all the flaws.  I can laugh at it now.

I am about to start making some stuff for Bailey4.  She is my last charity.

The hospice place right around the corner from me still takes blankets for the patients that stay there and their home patients, so I have been making them to take there.  The hospital I was taking my baby blankets to don't take them at this time, but there is a place call Baby Bureau that makes up baby bundles to give out and they still take them so that is good for me.  I am going to try my best to help out Bailey with the doll blankets this year too.  I do have one blanket made to go to the hospice and going through my yarn pile to take yarn over to the ladies that may need some yarn.  Bailey I love to see all that you have made.  There is a place call total liquidation that sometimes gets dolls in, if you give me the name of the  dolls I can look for them when I go to the store.

• Like 1

If you come across any of the Lots to Love brand baby dolls in 8, 10, or 14 inch or the Lil Cutesies that would awesome.  There was a place that went out of business here that I used to be able to get stuff like that and it was awesome. 

I am concerned next year is also going to be a rough Christmas so I'm doing all I can to get stuff done.

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

If you come across any of the Lots to Love brand baby dolls in 8, 10, or 14 inch or the Lil Cutesies that would awesome.  There was a place that went out of business here that I used to be able to get stuff like that and it was awesome. 

I am concerned next year is also going to be a rough Christmas so I'm doing all I can to get stuff done.

I will write the names down of these dolls and the sizes and I go to this store at least once a week so I will look in the toy section for you.  I wanted to go today as they are showing they have the Lysol wipes and spray and I always stock up on them when they get it in but I am taking my Christmas decorations down.  I know I may have asked this before but what size are the blankets you are looking for so I know as I am sure they will work up real fast.

Thanks for looking!!!

We decided on 20" squares as a goal.  There is no hard fast rule but that size works well for the 18" dolls and larger baby dolls.  It also works for stuffed animals that have been known to go home with doll blankets since we are fortunate to have so many talented crocheters donating doll blankets.

Edited by Bailey4

Hi Segi...I am not sure if I have seen you drop in here before! Welcome. I'm glad you have a place that is accepting blankets. 

I get that charities are trying to be careful but store bought goods are handled by a lot of people so I don't know how hand made things could have more of a germ factor! But since this virus is kicking all normal science out the door, I guess I can understand.

Tampa, I remember when I bought my first prom dress. My mom was hysterical! It was poorly made and then she made my 2nd and 3rd dresses which were amazing. In high school she let me wear jeans but still made a lot of my shirts. I remember when fabric was 3 yards for $1. Now you can't really make clothes cheaper than buying them. I was lucky in 1997 to get bridal satin for $2 per yard from a place that was going out of business. My mom was too sick by then to make my wedding dress but I had a good friend who is an amazing seamstress and she made it instead. My husband was worried that it would look home made. I got so many compliments on that dress. I loved it.  But I think I digress....what were we talking about?? Ha ha.

Lots to Love 14" Doll Sweet Baby Romper

I have to say the face on this doll makes me laugh. 

Any time I start a new doll project I order two one to work on and one to donate.  I can be hard on my work dolls pulling clothes on and off them as I adjust the outfits so I want the donation one to be new.  It also helps me continue to work even as I'm waiting for the next year's donation doll's like with the My Life doll's this year.  I looked at the 2 I ordered and put the smiling one in the bag to donate and kept this one as my work doll.  The face has been a blessing as she make me smile.  I doubt I'd have noticed the smiling one as much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

I get that charities are trying to be careful but store bought goods are handled by a lot of people so I don't know how hand made things could have more of a germ factor! But since this virus is kicking all normal science out the door, I guess I can understand.

The frustrating issue for me is that many of these rules were in place long before COVID regarding toy donations.  COVID has made it worse but it was never easy to find places that wanted hand made toy items or clothes for dolls, etc.  I've watched as they gave out dollar store donations but refused hand made items.  The dollar store items break in seconds but they are boxed and labeled.  The hand made items have a much longer shelf life but they are not professionally packaged to distribute.  It would be nice to know what the parents would accept/want/use.  Your daughter can get a doll with a hand made wardrobe or a dollar store puzzle.  I know there are plenty of wonderful store bought gifts given to these charities.  I donate toys and send donations myself to local toys drives in addition to the doll donation but I've also seen some of the present packages that are given out and they could benefit from some hand made items.  Sometimes dollar store items are all people can afford to donate and I think you give what you can but why turn down something because it doesn't have a store label on it if it could bring joy to a child?

One of the things that's always bothered me about the rules many places have for donations for dolls is that you can't always get clothes to fit the dolls unless you make them.   Some of the free baby doll patterns I've used over the years are from Mom's or Grandmothers looking to dress the baby dolls because there really aren't clothes made to buy for these dolls. Little girls tend to get frustrated when they don't have stuff to dress up their dolls no matter what type of doll it is they want clothes.

One of the reasons I learned to crochet is when my niece on DH's side was younger they'd stopped making Barbie clothes and the clothes for her 18" dolls were expensive and the less expensive ones often were worth what you paid for them.  Fabric ripped, etc.  So I tried to learn knitting and crocheting to make doll clothes for her.  I never mastered knitting but I did make her doll clothes before she outgrew that stage.  I haven't made Barbie clothes since my great niece outgrew that stage but I have continued with the baby and 18" dolls.

I was looking at the My Life dolls on Walmart.com.  Since all the low end dolls have been pretty much unavailable since November I stated to look at some of the next level up dolls and saw one dressed in an outfit I liked for only a few dollars more than the doll I usually buy.  Come to find out that was not for the outfit only.  How many parents looking to charities for Christmas gifts for their kids have the money to buy clothes for the dolls?  It makes sense you'd accept clothes the kids could use even if they aren't store bought.  It seems insane to turn down stuff 

• Like 1

I guess it's nice that we all seem to have a place that appreciates our hard work.  Bailey, I love that outfit and the doll does sort of have that Mona Lisa smile!!

I have been making cat beds (sewed from fleece, not crocheted) for so many years now that I know for a fact that my beds last a LOT longer than store bought beds in the shelter environment where they are washed so often. I'm glad that I can still get fleece on sale and when it's marked down as a remnant for a good price. Poly stuffing is getting expensive but I guess that's ok.  

I actually made a hat on Sunday during the Packers game. Two strands of worsted with a J hook and it actually came out fitting kind of tight on my head. Not sure what I did wrong. I need to get a picture of it. My brother gave me a "smart receiver" for Christmas. It kind of takes the place of a smart TV. I just have a little 13" TV in my sewing room, but now I can watch Netflix and You Tube in there. Now if I just didn't have to come out to eat or go to work....I'd bet set!  

• Like 1

Hi all... just wanted to post something that I learned today.  My friend sent me an email saying that the church to which I donated all those bags of yarn have already made 17 lapghans to give away.  It just made my heart smile to know that the yarn I could not use was being of good use to others.

here is the yarn I donated - about 15 bags worth:

donate01.thumb.jpg.070581ec814ba88a8728be14e87976dd.jpgdonate02.thumb.jpg.eb38838f912b003b7294cdbfdb731b74.jpg

just a note - the WM bag with blankies went to the Humane society for the dogs and cats to enjoy.

• Like 4