Boxing Day 2021 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Darski, it both broke my heart and lifted it a little reading your post. It must have been very difficult to part with all of that yarn and yet it's so good to know that already 17 lapghans have been made. I know when I buy yarn, my head swirls with the ideas of "what this could be". I even get "attached" to Goodwill yarn that I always buy with the intent to make cat mats, but sometimes the yarn wants to be something else.  That is part of the joy of this craft I think. But I know last year we saw many examples of "what this could be" from your crafty ideas, so I hope you can continue making those kinds of projects. 

Bailey, that little picnic outfit is adorable. Oh my goodness, I just want to grab that little doll and give it kisses! The yarns you chose were perfect for the set.

And finally, here is my hat from last week. Ends are tucked in but it hasn't been washed yet. I've been sick the past few days with what I think was strep throat, but I am on Covid protocol at work. I was tested Saturday but have no results yet. Until today I was actually too sick to even crochet if you can believe that. Luckily for me and my bathrobe, there were football games all day Saturday and Sunday. But now I feel better and I'm anxious to get back to normal life. (Well, as normal as can be now)

This is just one strand of the CraftSmart brand from Michaels in black and one strand of a veriagated RHSS on a J hook. It came out kind of tight on my head. I'm wondering if I forgot an increase or something.  It also has a fp, bp brim that is hard to see. Probably a good size for an 8 to 12 year old. Just before the noggin gets too big.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba0d8ceffe143721a8c17704abcb7f51.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 2

I'm gonna apologize right now because this post isn't entirely about a charity item. I gave my coworker a Caron Anniversary Cake for Christmas and she made this for me:

image.thumb.jpeg.390806a59df2f0bebda8d6523a2d748c.jpeg

It's a cat couch. Another coworker gifted her the pattern a few months ago because she wanted help figuring out the pattern. I guess she has it figured out! It's very sturdy and the crochet work is very tight. I am over the moon about it. It's "kind of" related to charity work because I will definitely be using it to take pictures of my foster kittens for their Petfinder listings! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

I'm gonna apologize right now because this post isn't entirely about a charity item. I gave my coworker a Caron Anniversary Cake for Christmas and she made this for me:

image.thumb.jpeg.390806a59df2f0bebda8d6523a2d748c.jpeg

It's a cat couch. Another coworker gifted her the pattern a few months ago because she wanted help figuring out the pattern. I guess she has it figured out! It's very sturdy and the crochet work is very tight. I am over the moon about it. It's "kind of" related to charity work because I will definitely be using it to take pictures of my foster kittens for their Petfinder listings! 

It's related to your charity work.  What an amazing job.  The pictures are going to be amazing.

• Like 1

Panda and Alex were too busy sniffing it (my coworker has two dogs) so Sunshine claimed it. She's about 6 1/2 pounds and there is plenty of room. The bigger cats fit on it comfortably too. Our big boy, Dickens, weighs about 18 pounds and couldn't be bothered to jump on the table to look at it. Now I just need some foster kittens. We're are in the lul just before the boom which will be late Febraury or early March. Thanks for letting me share. I don't really stray from our CAL that much so I didn't know where else to post it. I had originally fretted over paying $6 for the pattern, but it was worth it. I think it has 4 couch styles. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e51c848d16224761ce7ae0ae5f0e5c14.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 2

Hi,

I Love doing charity work. My grann and I make pillow cases, quilts , Crochet hats, scarves for the foster children here. We do it every year. This year I want to make stockings cause we like to put coloring books, tooth brushes , tooth paste in it for them... Every year is a little different.

We all do for the homeless and battered women shelter.... Last year I literally couldn't do as much for hubby got sick and has been out of work for almost 3 months. I had some hot chocolate and popcorn. And passed that with my quilt and pillowcases... I'm hoping to do better on my charity work.

Im looking for a Addi King size Knitting Machine. I cut my hand and it's healing okay but the pain is unbearable. I might end up be living with that pain for life... I have another Doctors appointment but right now I don't see much change. So I have been dieing to get a hold of the Addi King size Knitting machine. I've actually wanted it for over a year now. I been keeping a look out at the thrift stores and yard sale site hoping and praying someone gets tired of theirs.... 

Stockings are a really cute holiday idea.  What about bags that they could use to store their stuff?  Especially if they have to move having something that keeps their special stuff organized year round means they are more likely to move on with their coloring books, crayons, etc. rather than having them left behind.

Hope you get better news on your hand soon. 

Hi Owlvamp! I think you were in this group a few times. Maybe back before I was even the "moderator".

Glad to have you back. I have both Addi's and a Sentro. Some days I want to chuck them all in the bin and other days they just happily crank out hats. There are about 6 goodwill stores within 8 miles of my house and pre-Covid I did a lot of yarn shopping there but never saw a knitting machine of any kind. I do see the hand looms a lot and loads of knitting needles but never that many crochet hooks. I occasionally check Offer Up as well. Got a big garbage bag stuffed with yarn for $10 just before Christmas, but it's still riding around the back seat of my car, so I figure I better cool my jets on yarn buying. But my eyes are always looking for Addi's or the like. And now dolls on clearance for Bailey!! 

Yes, I have been here a few times. Sorry life happens and I can't get here as I would like. I'm going to try to get better this year. Do you like your Addi's or Sentro more? Well when ever you are ready to chuck let me know. Yeah I have been searching 3 different places and nothing so far. I have never had any hooks of either and only seen about a couple skeins of yarn... Either not many people in my area crochet or knit or they are keeping their stuff. I'm sure you will take the yarn outcome day and make something cool with it. 

That's a great idea on the bags. What's funny is I post for feed bags all the time. I turn the feed bags into bags to use. I collect all feed bags, chickens, goats, horses, cows, chicks, pigs and save my dog food. I need to get some cat food bags. It's the plastic ones I get.... I made a few for Christmas presents ... I will get pictures to show you all. So I defitinitly will add bags to my list this year. Thank you for the idea. 

I'm going to try to adapt these and see if I can get them to fit the 14" Lots to Love Doll but after that I'm done with diapers for the year.  I'm not going to try making them for the Lots to Love 8" or the Lil Cutesies as I don't think I can make them small enough and not too bulky to fit.

However I am now officially done with diapers for the 16" doll!!!!

It was kind of fun after the first post got into a discussion with some women about the cost of the disposable doll diapers and the lack of availability of them.  One lady posted she was going to start making some of her own.  So sometimes we do give people ideas that solve their challenges too.

16" baby doll diapers round 2

Edited by Bailey4

So the other night after I posted, I looked around offer up and actually saw a knitting machine (they called it an "auto loom") along with some hand looms and yarn for $65. I posted and asked if it was still available but got no answer.  Then....I have no idea why....I wondered in to Goodwill on my way home from work. In my defense, the road was closed and I had to go through the parking lot. I took it as a sign. Then, wow, there was so much nice yarn bagged for $3.49 instead of the usual $6.49 this location always tries to charge. I spent $27 and they had to put my purchase in a trash bag. There is something wrong with me. Particularly after the cashier told me that earlier that day, a woman left with TWO garbage bags full of yarn and all I could think was...what did I miss?  

So, on the bright side, I made my first hockey hat of the season and used, oh just a tiny bit of my giant stash. It is some Caron jumbo with some RH w/love. Definitely softer than the one from the other day, and better fitting. I went to a K hook. Is there an L hook? If there is, I don't have one. I also made a hat during the Packers game today, but I still have to tuck in the ends. 

image.thumb.jpeg.858a60ec89e906146ec938110557f788.jpeg

I've been waiting since last fall but I found 2 My Life dolls for under $18/each and they weren't the lowest priced model oddly enough.  So I have my 2 My Life dolls for this year's donation!!!!!

It's funny I always hate those adds that pop up in my email but there was one about the My Life and Walmart this morning and I realized it had been a couple days since I checked.  Sometimes we get nice things instead of annoying ones.:elle

Edited by Bailey4

12 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

I've been waiting since last fall but I found 2 My Life dolls for under $18/each and they weren't the lowest priced model oddly enough.  So I have my 2 My Life dolls for this year's donation!!!!!

It's funny I always hate those adds that pop up in my email but there was one about the My Life and Walmart this morning and I realized it had been a couple days since I checked.  Sometimes we get nice things instead of annoying ones.:elle

When I went to the total liquidation store I saw My Generation Dolls there.  I think they were $13.00

WOW that's an amazing price.  Target usually has the Our Generation Dolls up around $25 even on sale.  I got 2 this year at a BOGO buy one get one 1/2 and I thought I got a great deal.

Edited by Bailey4

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

WOW that's an amazing price.  Target usually has the Our Generation Dolls up around $25 even on sale.  I got 2 this year at a BOGO buy one get one 1/2 and I thought I got a great deal.

I took a 3 year old girls gifts from the salvation army tree and she wanted a baby alive.  I ordered on line from Kohls.  The total liquidation store I go to had the same doll for half of what I paid at Kohls.  

I think most of the stuff in this store comes from Target because of some of the brand names they have there and their bags are Target bags.  I love going into this store every week.  I will keep checking for the other dolls and let you know if I find them. 

• Like 1