2020 Stashbusting CAL

TexasPurl

I’ve had a wild and crazy yarn week!  I got my final yarn shipment in for the Seaside Sampler Afghan, and I went down to our LYS and bought 3 giant skeins of yarn for a knit-along they are going to be doing (via Zoom).  I suspect that I may be shooting the moon... 😈 😊 🐑 

• Like 1

Well, it looks as though the Stashbusting challenge has lost a bit of steam.

Week ending August 15, 2020

🥇 Gold Medal Winner:  TexasPurl +4

🥈 Silver Medal Winner:   

🥉 Bronze Medal Winner:  greyhoundgrandma  (holding steady)

🚀 Shoot the Moon Winner:   PBLKNP -12

Have a Happy week!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TexasPurl said:

Well, it looks as though the Stashbusting challenge has lost a bit of steam.

My crocheting has really been in a slump lately, but then there are periods of that every year. You would think with staying at home except for dr apts and groceries, I would have lots of time for crafts. But between the heat and waiting on DH it just hasn't worked out like that. This year seems to continue to bring a series of larger and smaller issues that have to be dealt with and are real energy sappers.

Hopefully soon things will even out and get back to "normal".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TexasPurl said:

I've been working on a project with a friend in the Reddit community in Tunisian crochet. with all the swatching I managed to use 2 skeins.

WTD +4

Y'all have a Happy week!

I've always intended to try tunisian crochet. Does it work up as fast as regular crochet? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pineknott said:

well catch you'all next week

going tomorrow for an abdominal aortic aneurysm repair

Oh my goodness!  Good luck, and may it go well.  I’ll be praying for you.

1 hour ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

My crocheting has really been in a slump lately, but then there are periods of that every year. You would think with staying at home except for dr apts and groceries, I would have lots of time for crafts. But between the heat and waiting on DH it just hasn't worked out like that. This year seems to continue to bring a series of larger and smaller issues that have to be dealt with and are real energy sappers.

Hopefully soon things will even out and get back to "normal".

I know what you mean, in a way.  I can’t relate to everything you’re going through, but I find that ever since the pandemic/lockdown began I’ve been such a nervous wreck over making one wrong move and infecting us (my spouse is immune-compromised), that it’s been tough to do anything other than simple projects.  I do both knit and crochet, but I find that I’m doing more crocheting than knitting...I find it to be more relaxing.  I keep wishing for things to go back to normal, too.  I have a knitting/crocheting group that meets once a week—it’s just not quite the same thing over Zoom.  

On 8/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

I've always intended to try tunisian crochet. Does it work up as fast as regular crochet? 

It depends on the project & stitch choice. Some can be as slow as (my) needlepoint, but most work up quickly.

I missed last week, but it was only 2 points which I'll add to this week. I finished the 24 inch afghan and made some baby hats (+2 from last week). I went to Michael's today (1st time I've been out of town since Feb.). I needed pin backs and plastic rings, I had a 20% off all non sale items, so I got 4 skeins cotton (- 8). If I start making the pot holders right away I might get some used up by Sat. I searched through some bins in the basement and found a 14 oz. Premier Home cotton/polyester blend, is it O.K. for pot holders :think ? Or would the polyester part (15%) melt if it gets too hot :think ? It's beige and might make a nice hat.

WTD:  - 6   YTD:  + 76

Ellie 13

On 8/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, Ellie 13 said:

I missed last week, but it was only 2 points which I'll add to this week. I finished the 24 inch afghan and made some baby hats (+2 from last week). I went to Michael's today (1st time I've been out of town since Feb.). I needed pin backs and plastic rings, I had a 20% off all non sale items, so I got 4 skeins cotton (- 8). If I start making the pot holders right away I might get some used up by Sat. I searched through some bins in the basement and found a 14 oz. Premier Home cotton/polyester blend, is it O.K. for pot holders :think ? Or would the polyester part (15%) melt if it gets too hot :think ? It's beige and might make a nice hat.

WTD:  - 6   YTD:  + 76

Ellie 13

I probably would be hesitant to use it for potholders. Maybe test it with a match and see if it melts.

Thanks Greyhoundgrandma. 

I made 2 pot holders and 3 more hats. I rolled down 2 cotton skeins, used 2 balls and gave away a ball of :yarn (+ 5) :cheer . I still haven't used up enough :yarn to get back on the + side though. I still have tonight and tomorrow, so if I make 1 more hat or pot holder I might get back to 0 .

WTD:  - 1  YTD:  + 81

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

I made another hat and 1/2 a pot holder, rolled down a small skein baby :yarn  (+ 1) . I picked 4 tomatoes, a few more beans, 2 cucumbers and a green pepper. Had myself a nice little salad last night. I'm back to working 5 days/week, so I have more :crocheting time , but not much :yarn  :lol .

WTD: 0  YTD: + 82

Ellie 13

For the week ending 8/22/2020:

Gold Medal Winner!  TexasPurl  +8

Holding Steady!

• Ellie 13  0
  • greyhoundgrandma  0
  • howieann  0
  • PBLKNP  0

No shoot the moon!  

Have a great week, everyone!  :ghug

• Like 1

I finally finished a skein...+2. My first score in 6 weeks.

I splurged and ordered 3 teak furls hooks from Mary Maxim's hook sale. The shipping was atrocious but I still have a Christmas gift card balance, so I treated myself.

• Like 1