35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna - your 'ghan looks so nice. I'm sure your gift-ee will love it. :)

Mare - congrats on doing the camera thing! :photo I look forward to seeing all your pics! Your swap square look so nice. But I have to ask you, what are you doing out in the middle of nowhere??:think You said you were going out to the desert...did you visit some one or some place?? (I'm just being goofy!) Hope you have lots of time to work on grannies this week. :)

Mare - congrats on doing the camera thing! :photo I look forward to seeing all your pics! Your swap square look so nice. But I have to ask you, what are you doing out in the middle of nowhere??:think You said you were going out to the desert...did you visit some one or some place?? (I'm just being goofy!) Hope you have lots of time to work on grannies this week. :)

Thanks!

The desert IS in the middle of nowhere and that's why I go there! I am really a recluse at heart and like being away from it all. Hubby and I have a little trailer and we just head out, find a nice dirt road, then look for a place flat and firm enough to park on and that's it! Campsite! Anyway... the only things we were out there to visit were the birds and the cactus!:hug

Wooohooo! I am halfway now with 18 squares finished. It goes really fast when you aren't sick!:yay

Julia - I hope you are feeling better too.:)

Debbie - Congrats on the baby. I LOVE babies!!! :manyheart

Anna - Beauuutiful afghan. What did you mean about adding batting? :think

Hi Everyone, Just dropping in to let you know I'm still crocheting my squares. I have 21 done now. Have had a lot going on. Have to get busy with these. My Moms birthday is the 28th and its for her. I'm using some varigated yarn so I'm trying to put colors together to match then to put them so they look like they should be near each other.

Then I'm off to start to crochet for the two new little granddaughters that are coming this year. My son and daughter-in-law are due around Mothers Day. My daughter is due the beginning of June. Going to make dresses, blankets, and a sweaters for each. I've been tossing them names. Like I should be naming them. It's fun anyways. My daughters nickname is Lizard, so I told her name her Elizabeth and we would call her Liz. She don't like that name. I said it don't matter anyways as I will call her Lizzie. Lizards have baby Lizzie's. Poor girl don't stand a chance. But I'm excited! Can't wait!

Have fun crocheting! I'll be there shortly.

Marlene

Glad you're feelin better, Linda. :hug

Hey, Celeste! :waving

Hi Marlene, glad you're back! Sounds like you have lots of crocheting to do for your family! Grandkids, how fun! :)

Great going, Marlene !

Grandbabies are the greatest thing on Earth to me !

I know what you mean about "helping" to name them . I have 6 grandkids and have tried pushing the name SCOUT on to each one. So far, no takers .

I DID choose the name for the grandson that I babysit . Cameron . They liked it, so I got my pick on that one. My oldest grand- daughter has my middle name, since she was born on my birthday !

I will be getting back to this soon. I should just force myself but I did get the flu so I have that excuse. I had so much on my plate in preparing for the baby but I just got a new website build for a crocheter. she is going to crochet all the wool diaper covers I need for my toddler and the new baby as well as diaper liners. so that took a huge chunk of work off of my shoulders.

I am finishing up the sweater and out of a burst of creativity I started a knitted wool tank last night. I will get back to this and my other cal I promise!! :hook

Wow, howdy everyone!

Marlene! Congrats on the Grandbabies!

It's nice to see so many of you hanging in there. I STILL haven't worked on mine. In fact, haven't had time to crochet a lick for days! :(

Oh well... hope you all have a great day!

Hi Debbie

We'll all be waiting for you to get back later this week !

and Mare-

Don't make me get out of my chair and go pick up that ballbat . Get your hiney busy .

Remember the Golden Rule of Crochetalong Success :

Make at least one row a day

To keep the Ballbat away . :D

Have you guys learned alot with this project?

I have really been learning alot with this project. I could already follow directions really well and know tons of stitches and thought it would be a breeze-- and that part is a breeze. What I am learning is about tension problems! I found out that my dc is pretty much perfect. My sc is a little tight, hdc are really tight, and my triple crochets are loose. I have to keep redoing squares. It has been frustrating!! My squares are finally beginning to be the same as I concentrate on the tension. I am wondering how it is that I have crocheted so many years without realizing this. :blush

I have finally accepted that my afghan will not be perfect because it is bound to not lay totally flat. (I am usually way obsessive about fixing mistakes.) Sigh. BUT, I have really learned tons about evening out my tension.

and Mare-

Don't make me get out of my chair and go pick up that ballbat . Get your hiney busy .

:embar:lookout:neener:lookout:slingshot hee hee

but thanks for the :kick

Linda - I guess there are so many different stitches in this 'ghan that any difference in tension tends to stand out. Perhaps all the differences will blend together when you sew your squares together. :)

Wooohooo! I am halfway now with 18 squares finished. It goes really fast when you aren't sick!:yay

Anna - Beauuutiful afghan. What did you mean about adding batting? :think

Sorry it took so long for me to return with an answer. :hug Anywho, congrats on making the halfway point (and then some according to your most recent post! :cheer Keep at it!

As far as batting goes, I went to JoAnns and purchased some of the fleece/cotton quilt batting from their fabric department. It's pretty much cotton fabric with cotton (like the puff balls you can buy for healthy/beauty)sandwiched inbetween. It makes the blanket that much warmer. Some folx add just plain polar fleece to the back, some add nothing at all. My brother and his fiancee` - the one I'm giving the blankie to - live in a fairly large house. Their last month's heating bill was $300 and they use very little heat at that...sometimes, you can just about see your breath in there it gets so cold, so they can really use some blankets with extra padding. :lol I hope that helps to explain it.

Archived