35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

I just wanted to pop in. I am still here. I still have many squares to do. I have had several flare ups with my tmj which knocks me out. So I haven't done much crochet or knitting. I did get someone to do all of my crocheted wool soakers for me in exchange for me building her a website- that took a lot of pressure off of me. I still have way to many projects going on.. :-) I have quilt squares to make for a quilt square exchange I participate in every year, I have a couple of sweaters to finish off, a knitted soaker to finish, this blanket and grandmothers flower garden- which has seen the least of me over the last few weeks. I was just informed today that my 8 ft triangle loom will be here in a week or 2.. a shawl to weave, 7 lbs of the creamiest softest corriedale fleece is on it's way to me- wool to wash and process.. and I am teaching my 7 year old to read and the olders started a new homeschool curriculum.. Please GOd give me enough hours in my day to finish it all LOL!!!

Hope you are all doing well!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Diane don't worry to much about it because if you get to see the sq's that i made and then all of it put together you will be amaized how good it looks .I was so supprized on how it looked after done that I'm makein two more not worring about that to much ,don't worry they fall all into place and staighten out.

Hi Linda :clap :clap it's ben like a week that you have desired me getting better and I answer now:lol lol ,ben very busy,more sick but trying to crochet as much as I can ,thanks .:hug have a wonderful night .:hug :hug :hug

Wow, Debbie! You certainly have lots going on! Seeing how much you're doing, I'm feeling a bit like a slow poke with my grandmother's flower garden 'ghan! :snail

Good luck with your long to-do list! :clover

i have finished 1 to 14 and still going i get about 1 or 2 out a day. and thats good for me. i look after 5 daycare kids all week and drive to and from school and bus stops. i take it were ever i go. but for now i have to start working on a few swap things and get ready for the crochet olympices to start and work on something else. but dont worry i will still be work on my squares;). someday soon i will post a few pictures.

Hey Becky, if you ever have time to take a picture, we'd love to see one! It's a great project to take around to work on between all the kid related activities, isn't it? :hook

Well, I have 9 squares done. If you remember way back when... I had 13 squares done- but I was for sure I was having a girl. so all but 2 squares where in girlie colors.. those will be transformed into dishcloths for my mom's bday in March. So I only had 2 squares done. I finished 7 squares since night before last. My goal is to get the squares done in the next 3 days. I am going to run out of yarn so dh is going this am to get me more. I am using a yarn that is variagated- white/blue/neon green. I love it. the trim/edging will be white.

I am glad to be moving ahead with this project..

Hi Everyone,

Well, I took your advice, Sue, and concentrated on this one. I have all 35 squares done! :yay I laid out all the squares on poster boards on the floor to consider the colors. (Of course my kitty, who never wants to get near me when I want to pick him up - kept walking across everything, and laying down, etc. Aren't cats characters?) :cat

Julia (angels) thanks for the encouraging words about color. It looks pretty good to me now, but I'm going to wait for my DH's opinion about size and maybe adding some more white squares. I really like to do these squares. I'll keep you all posted! And thanks for all the encouragement!

Debbie, good luck on meeting your goal!

WOW Debbie - What a LuckyBuns you are ! My husband probably wouldn't be caught dead buying me yarn . He could care less if I spend his whole paycheck on it, but I can't picture him actually going to the store and buying it for me !

Of course , he HATES to shop . I buy all his clothes, house items , groceries, etc . I can't even remember the last time he went to the store for something !

:lol

Great job, Diane!! :cheer Cats do want to nose around and lay all over everything, don't they?!

Here's a picture of my kitty, "inspecting" my work when I was making my 63 squares 'ghan. She was looking for some place to PLANT it!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/robertsmom/63%20Squares/half-done-5.jpg

Julie- the only reason why he is doing it is because at our walmart the cotton yarn is at the exact left hand corner of the store.. he can't miss it :-) otherwise no way! I just finished #10..he is going this afternoon as I am going to need more yarn by tomorrow..:-)

:clap I have all 35 squares made. I am trying to figure out the best way to put them together. Since my squares are country blue and light country blue, I think I will use a dark blue with the loopy technique, which would make the afghan bigger. I am even considering putting on another round to each square to enlarge ghan.

I will post a photo when I am done. This was my first CAL -- even though I started way late. I will do another CAL. :) I think the finished ghan will be a wedding gift. Gotta wait and see it finished first...what if I can't part with it?

:? Do we also post on the Show and Tell when we finish it? (As I don't think people read these posts if they aren't part of the CAL.)

First, I have to brag about my DH :manyheart who has gone to Michaels and gotten yarn for me when I had a project to finish. Actually, I think he really enjoyed the attention he got in the yarn store - the women thought he was really cute to do that for me... (He is a cutie, I have to say.)

Second, he agrees with me that I should add more white squares... so my 35 square is going to be a 42 or 48 square afghan...so I have a few more to do, but am still close.

Third, Linda (stitchinpick), could you tell me what the loopy technique is? I'd like to enlarge too.

Thanks all!

Linda-

That's a great idea, if you want to post a photo of your afghan in the show and tell section . We want one in here too , so don't forget us ! Lots of days, I only go in the --Along section of the boards, since I don't always have time to look through the other areas . Your afghan sounds like it's gonna be really pretty when done !

PS - If you're looking for another CAL to join, jump on over to the 63 Menagerie ! We'd love to have you there !

Diane, Sounds like you are almost ready to wrap yours up too ! We should get to see 2 new photos before long !

And good for your hubby ~~ That IS something to brag about !! I can't imagine my husband going into a yarn store to buy me yarn . I'll have to ask him and see what his answer is. This oughta be a good one ! :lol

sadly, walmart only had one skien of the yarn I am using. So I won't get it done this weekend as I had planned. I also had a full day yesterday of toddler cuddling so I didn't get as many done as I had hoped. By the time Matty started freaking out at bedtime I had just started #13. I hope to get to #20 today.. I can dream can't I??

Linda - are you using the flat braid technique to join your squares? It's very pretty. I want to use it on the next 35 granny blanket I make.

Diane - what a nice hubby! Yarn would make my hubby nervous! All those colors! He wouldn't know what to do! But he can fix anything the right way, always important, and can do anything on the computer, a big plus! :lol

Debbie - good luck on your squares! Hope you can squeeze in a little crochet time. :)

I am struggling with square 14.. I can't tell by the picture (it is a copy) what it is supposed to look like. If I knew what it was supposed to look like then I may be able to figure it out. Can someone take a picture of their sq 14 for me..??

thanks!!:hook

Here you go, Debbie:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/robertsmom/35%20Grannies/square-14.jpg

Most all of my squares are at my blog (below). There's a link in the side bar to my 35 Granny Square Gallery. Photos of the last 6 squares are not there, however, call me LAZY! :blush

thank you Sue.. I think I may be able to figure it out now. I was struggling with 15 as well so I looked at your pic.. I was so frustrated I pushed it aside and have been finishing up a wool soaker for the baby..

Archived