35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

I have a question to ask? Does any body have to add one extra row at the end of each square. I seen to have to almost all the time and i am useing j and k hook most all are k and I am somewhat of a loose sticher. Does anybody else do the same thing:think :think :think :think

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Becky

I didn't have to, but we each crochet differently . Some people crochet tight, some loose, some in between, and we each use different hooks for the same patterns . Kinda srange, isn't it , but I guess that's what makes us all so unique ! :)

Hi Guys

I am going to post this in here and also the other crochetalongs I started . Just in case you didn't read about my new crochetalong group that is starting up , I am looking for a donation of any square from the 63 afghan book one OR two , made in Caron Simply Soft, off white . I am also asking for a postcard from your area along with the square. These will be combined into an afghan to be donated to the Silent Auction held to help Crochetville pay the expenses of keeping the site up and running .

I really need your help gang, and know if you appreciate Crochetville as much as I do, you'd want to help us out if possible .

Any questions, please post them here or you can EM or PM me . I'll get back to you right away on it .

Thanks very much !!:)

Becky - I found that my squares came out on the small side. I went up one hook size but didn't want to go any bigger than that. I was afraid the squares would come out too loose. In the end, my 'ghan was a little smaller than stated in the booklet. It came out more like a lapghan but that was okay with me. I will be sending this 'ghan to my elderly mother for Mother's Day and a lapghan will be just right. :)

I hope everyone had a happy superbowl day. (I am sure Hallmark will make that an official day soon.) I am not a big football fan, but we always have a big party with tons of food for it, so my weekend was busy! In fact, I will be busy again today cleaning all the dishes and vacuuming it all up. Sigh, I hate housework when there is crocheting to be done!

pb&j - The connecting method I am planning on using is similar to the flat braid technique, but I plan to use a single crochet to connect the loops rather than taking my hook in and out a zillion times. It is not as pretty, but is more efficient. I prefer the flat braid in looks, but I have to finish this for a wedding gift soon!

Stargo,

Well, good luck in finding it !!!! It is out of print and I was watching a copy on ebay last week. It ended up selling for 18.50 -- believe it or not !

Could I interest you in joining us over at the 63 Menagerie ? We sure would like some more people in there, and that book is available, although you may have to order it. I've never seen it in any store .

They have it here, though -www.countryyarns.com

AND you could get in on the GROUND floor of this one --- it is just now getting underway, so you'd be in with the rest of the gang !

Hey Jimmie

I don't know, I really don't know that much about it. Three Olives ( Elizabeth)

seems to know quite a bit regarding it . I think the best we could hope for is to ask the company if they plan on doing a reprint of it at some point due to popularity .

• 2 months later...

Hi gang... I'm so on the run today but read that the button was gone... I have a copy on my blog and in photobucket. Here it is:

th_200crochetblocks.jpg

Steal it here or go to my blog and steal it. You'll have to right click and save to your own place.

Hugs... miss you all!

Mare

• 4 weeks later...

It's ages since I posted, but I have been busy getting on with the knitting and crochet. almost finished this CAL - love the patterns, and trying to persuade myself which one to join next [i'll definitely finish this on this next week]

Updated. to say I'm all finished, will post a pic as soon as I can. now itching to start the next one................

• 2 weeks later...

I've been interested in this CAL for awhile, since I love granny squares. Finding the pattern was a hassle but, as of today, I have one in my hot little hands! :clap

First, I went to the Leisure Arts site and asked them to reprint the pattern AND to waive the copyright so more of us here could join the CAL (hey, it never hurts to ask, huh?). Of course, they politely told me to pound sand :P They can't waive the copyright and will probably never republish this leaflet.

So, I vigilantly checked Ebay. Took weeks to find, but I got a brand-new copy for $12.50 out-the-door. That included the $2.00 shipping charge from Canada. How she can offer such inexpensive shipping is beyond me :think but the leaflet arrived in perfect condition. BTW, I placed my highest bid at $50.00 because I REALLY wanted this. Luckily, I didn't have to go that high.

For anyone still looking for this....the Ebay searches don't work so well. It was more effective for me to do a Google search and follow those links into Ebay.

Happy crocheting everyone! :)

Congratulations on finding the pattern, zazzu. I loved making this. I finally took a picture (with my cat, who couldn't stay out of the shot. Here they are in clickable photos! I always check out this thread to see if any new versions are out. I think it is so pretty in any color.

th_56squarebarneyzfull.jpg th_56sqdetailz.jpg

Diane,

That's just beautiful. I love your subdued tones - it would go great in my house! So would the kitty! :lol

I'm going to step out of character and use Caron's Simply Soft in embroidery print (a bright variegated). I need to find a bright solid to go with it for the joining and edging. Normally, I prefer solid-colored granny squares, but I need to use this loud, variegated stuff for something :D

I really like the colors in the Embroidery Print. I bought some to maybe use in the "panes" of the Cathedral Window. I bet it will be striking. I will be looking for a photo.

• 1 month later...

I am new to the forum. I saw the beautiful afghan you were planning to make. I have searched high and low for this pattern book/leaflet. I cannot find it anywhere. I would like to purchase one from someone or let me know where to get one. There are none on ebay right now either..

Please e-mail me at dgos01@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Debra

• 1 year later...

I just picked up this thread and saw several pictures of the 35 square sampler and WANT TO MAKE ONE! There used to be a site called "granny sampler" or something and I could get patterns for really interesting squares from there but it seems to have vanished and I haven't seen anything as nice as this 35 square book in the longest time. I got the second 63 square book from leisure arts and the patterns aren't as nice as the first book. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to find the book, other than ebay, please let me know.

Thanks much.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to step out of character and use Caron's Simply Soft in embroidery print (a bright variegated). I need to find a bright solid to go with it for the joining and edging. Normally, I prefer solid-colored granny squares, but I need to use this loud, variegated stuff for something :D

i am so bumping this thread. I started this sampler (it's still OOP. i used to have it, got rid of it, repurchased it on ebay) in Red Heart Super Saver's "Mexicana" color. I have squares 1-5 done, working on 6.

anyone else?? any other sampler-a-holics let this one sit there? is it time to pick it back up? such an easy satifying not boring sampler when done in the color you love even if it is the most bright glaring variegated yarn you could have picked (like me).

i would NOT recommend a meaty "pounder" yarn for this as the reccommended hook is an "H". I started it in a caron pounder off white and frogged it - way too stiff! and boring. Mexicana is soft for a Red Heart yarn and making the project very fun for me.

I'm tracking on ravelry but this should give an idea for you if you'd like this variegated yarn in a granny type pattern: http://images4cf.ravelry.com/uploads/jess31570/9904847/1_close_medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi kittyloverdeb - like it says in the post right above mine....sooooo hard to find - you'll have to go to ebay probably. i used to have it, then got rid of stuff, then rebought it there. sorry! :( and thanks for the compliment! that's a love it or hate it yarn for sure. :)

I may be interested in this! Where can I find the pattern for this afghan? Love the yarn you are using...so bright and cheery!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived