35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

Hi Everyone -

A small group of people in the 63 Wannabee Group has this leaflet and plans on starting on this afghan as a crochetalong soon .

If any of you out there want to participate in this and you don't yet have the book, here is the place I order online from : http://www.countryyarns.com/

I just cannot say enough nice things about this lady -- she is terrific . She is very speedy about getting your order processed and mailed out to you and very eager to help search for something she might not have on hand .

Here's the info on the name of the booklet we'll be using -

Look under Leisure Arts Leaflets

LA2755 35 GRANNY SQUARES COMBINE TO MAKE A GRANNY SAMPLER AFGHAN ($5.50) by Martha Brooks Stein; 35 8" variations on the granny square with instructions for an afghan, all in worsted wt. yarn

If you have this leaflet , or would like to get it to join in, please drop a note on here and let us know so we can all work on this together .I don't know if it's available at any local craft stores near you or not, but you might want to try looking there too, or possibly Ebay .

We will probably wait a little longer til starting , to see how much interest there is in starting this before we all begin and to allow people some time to get the booklet or get it ordered .

There's another lady on here who has made several of these afghans that

are just gorgeous. She will be coming in to post her photos and also will be making one along with us who haven't made one before and has offered to help out if we get stuck .

So drop in and let us know if you'd like to join us !

Thanks -

:manyheart

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to do this!!! Before I decide, is there any way to see what it's supposed to look like? Can someone take a pic of the cover so I can see what this is going to be???? THANKS!

I think I'd like to join this. I'm ordering the leaflet tomorrow. Don't know when I'll receive it though. When do you plan to begin?

Lynn

Hi Donna

We'll probably wait about 2 weeks or so before starting on this. I'd like to give everyone time to order their booklets and get them , and to let the ladies in the Wannabee Group have more time to get their 63's done so they don't have to try and juggle both of these projects at once . Feel free to come in and post , if you want to tell about ordering your booklet, or what colors of yarn you are deciding on, etc . Hopefully, in that amount of time, we'll get a nice sized group in here that will participate . It makes the --along groups more fun if we keep the board really active too, so drop back in and tell us a little about yourself, how old you are, where you live, what you are working on now, just anything you want to tell us about yourself. That way, we all get to know each other a little better .

Thanks for showing such an interest !

Hello Olga ( AKA Spongebob ) :lol

Now, that's a new one -- even with babysitting my grandson, that's a show I have never seen . You'll have to fill me in on all the Spongebob stuff just in case I ever need to know all of it -- with a 3 1/2 year old grandson, it's good to be educated in all these cartoons so I'm up to date on them .

I didn't realize you finished your 63 !! It's BEAUTIFUL ~~~Did you keep it or give it as a gift to somone ?

It's great to have you here with us too !

Antara -If you find the time, we'd love to have you join us!

Hi Lynn !

Great to have you aboard . We'll probably wait a couple weeks til the actual start date . That should give interested people time to locate the book and get their yarn . Drop in and tell us a little about yourself ! We LIKE meeting new people and have a great time in our other group. I like a REALLY active board, so drop in anytime and post a note .If we keep in touch a lot , it makes the group more fun .

HEY VIMS !!!

Great to see you here and we'd love for you to join us with this project too . You are doing a wonderful job on the 63 -- the halfway point --keep up the good work, and I hope you wil be able to get a camera to take a photo of your finished afghan. We'd all love to see it !

Pagan

Thanks for posting your photos -- that will surely draw in some interested people when they see how pretty it turns out !

And thanks for agreeing to be our "Online Reference Person "

( Had to give you an official sounding title since you are the expert at this afghan ! ) :D

Julie Kay, that is a gorgeous afghan and something I'd like to make someday. Is this going to be an open-ended CAL? No deadline for signing up and no deadline for finishing? I honestly can't imagine myself starting this one until next spring!

Thanks for the welcome!:) I am sending off my order for the booklet today so I don't think it should take TOO long to arrive. I feel kinda guilty as I have so many unfinished projects sitting in the closet now, but this particular afghan is soooooo pretty. Have to go to Hobby Lobby to check the colors - don't have any idea what colors to do or who to make it for yet.:lol

Lynn

Hi Natasha

No, we will run this pretty loosely here --anyone can sign up whenever they want and finish whenever they want . No pressure !

We'd love to have you join whenever you're ready .

Lynn,

You sound like me-- I have SO many ideas of things I want to make ( most of them afghans ) . I get way ahead of myself sometimes. I figure out what pattern I want to use, then the yarn( or sometimes I get the yarn first, then try to figure out what pattern would go with it , THEN the biggest dilemma. WHO to make it for !

I think most of us crocheters are all guilty of the same things -- we see patterns we want to try, yarn we want to try and have PILES of projects to do, then not enough time to do them all .

I am trying to learn to pace myself and ONLY do one project at a time . Once it's done, then I can start on the next .

( That doesn't mean I don't have a closetful of yarn waiting on me though ! :lol

Yes, Julie, we are alike! ALL my unfinished projects are afghan's! I see a pettern that I just HAVE to make then get part way through it and get board with it and start another one that I just HAVE to make. Or, I will put one away to make something someone asks for then forget I have started yet ANOTHER afghan and begin another one. Then see the 5 bags of unfinished afghan's on my closet shelf!:lol

Lynn

My colors -

I have chosen Frosty Green for the entire afghan , then will probably do the edging in the variegated that has the greens, off white and lilac in it. Can't remember the name of it right now and too lazy to go dig it out of the closet .

I am debating whether to add a row of lilac around each square before joining them .

OH PAGAN !!!

I have your first Help Desk Question :

Would you be able to easily put a border of sc around each of the squares before joining them, or would it look stupid ? Just trying to decide whether to go get lilac or leave it off . I also have off white, which I could use for edging, but I'm trying to bring a little of the lilac out since it is in the variegated .

Decisions, decisions.....

Well, Lynn,

We are going to try to remedy our yarn disorder with this group . Let's see if we can both accomplish this together .

That's why I started the 63 Wannabee Group . I have wanted to make that afghan for YEARS -- bought the book, bought the yarn, started it DOZENS of times, then fizzled out . I thought -- " OK ... THIS IS IT ... IF I START A GROUP TO MAKE THIS, THEN I'LL HAVE TO FINISH IT . "

I stuck with it and got it done.

Now, my new goal is to get this one done. We have a real great group of ladies in here who are very dedicated to the afghan we are working on, and to the message boards. I like the boards to be REALLY busy-- that keeps the interest up . We might get on here and joke around or push each other to finish -- we use any means we have to, but we have all managed to really stick together and keep our rears in gear and get it accomplished. I think you'll really like it here ! A nice group to be in ! :U

Wow, Julie! There's a lot of interest in this CAL - looks like it's going to be lots of fun! :D I'm even more motivated than ever to finish 63 Squares and get moving on 35 Grannies. Thanks so much for getting this started, you make a great :cheer !

If we're going to start in a couple weeks or so, I'm going to dig around for a Michael's coupon for this one. I have a terrible habit of cutting out coupons and not using them! :ohdear Need to fix that! Does anyone know if Michael's has a coupon currently?

Archived