35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished the first square, #24, in this afghan in the sportweight yarn, and I don't think it's gonna work. The yarn just doesn't have the body that worsted weight does, and I'm afraid that some of the stitch definition won't be good, like for the popcorns and such. It was going to turn out light and lacy, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I think I'd prefer an afghan that I wouldn't be afraid would rip or wear out.

I promised myself "No New Yarn" ... and I'm gonna keep that promise.

So, I'll step aside in this CAL for the time being and start something else. I figure this will be a good afghan to do in the hot summer months.

Everyone have fun!

Sorry the yarn didn't work out for you, Natasha. I've never used sport weight before. I guess it's too light for an afghan. Perhaps after you exhaust your stash you can make another go at this 'ghan. :)

so how big is a lapghan? should I do another rows worth to make a good sized baby blanket with it? or is it already the right sized for a baby blanket.

Here's a site that gives common afghan/blanket sizes. It may be helpful. :)

Hi Everyone! I'm here for my evening report.

First, I lied.:blush by mistake, though... Last night I had 2 complete rows finished -plus 1.5 additional. I was thinking there were 6 to a row, but there are only 5. So I had 11.5, not 13.5. I do have 12 now though. (Just wanted to re-establish trust with you all.) I will perhaps do a couple more tonight.

Sue: I had already seen your 35 granny square on your blog. In fact, your afghan was the inspiration for me to do mine in neutrals. :) I am using 3 neutrals, though, because, I am not sure I enough yarn to do only 2 colors. ..and thanks for the link to the afghan sizes - very helpful.

Natasha - It sounds like you might have enough yarn even if you doubled the sports weight, I mean use 2 strands together. I've done that before and it can work.

Becky and Everyone: I am using J and K to do my squares and they are coming out around 7.5" with some shaping and stretching. I bet the flat braid joining might help add a bit of size to the afghan too. I've wanted to try that method, hmmm

I am finding that my posts are awfully lengthy - I will try to be briefer. I just want to talk with you all. :blah Talk to you again soon I am sure.

Hi Diane -

Just post away to your heart's content !

We don't mind long posts .

And don't worry about your count of squares being off. None of us would have known if you hadn't told us , you could have just caught up and no one would ever know !

Thank you for being honest though !:)

Ok here is my pictures!!! I took 2 a close up so you can see the colors and then a whole gahn shot!! Do you see my "mess" that is where I work Pepsi can and all!!! I useually straighten up first but you are all good friends and I am sure you have stash messes also!

000_0472.jpg

000_0471.jpg

What do ya all think????

Julie first is Red Heart ARAN and cream!!!

The size is actually smaller and I really am not that pleased! The first gahn I boardered each block then sewn together making the sq about 1&1/2 inches bigger. Making the finished gahn alot bigger. So the next one I start after the scripture gahn will be as the first one I made!! It reminds me of the beach!!! lol

Do you see my "mess" that is where I work Pepsi can and all!!! I useually straighten up first but you are all good friends and I am sure you have stash messes also! What do ya all think????

Jimmie Lu!!! Wow! Your ghan is just gorgeous. I think this is my favorite of all the ones you've done. It came out so pretty!

As for your mess... well, let's just say it looks just like home to me! :hug

Hi Everyone! I'm here for my evening report.

First, I lied.:blush by mistake, though... Last night I had 2 complete rows finished -plus 1.5 additional. I was thinking there were 6 to a row, but there are only 5. So I had 11.5, not 13.5. I do have 12 now though. (Just wanted to re-establish trust with you all.) I will perhaps do a couple more tonight.

Sue: I had already seen your 35 granny square on your blog. In fact, your afghan was the inspiration for me to do mine in neutrals. :) I am using 3 neutrals, though, because, I am not sure I enough yarn to do only 2 colors. ..and thanks for the link to the afghan sizes - very helpful.

Natasha - It sounds like you might have enough yarn even if you doubled the sports weight, I mean use 2 strands together. I've done that before and it can work.

Becky and Everyone: I am using J and K to do my squares and they are coming out around 7.5" with some shaping and stretching. I bet the flat braid joining might help add a bit of size to the afghan too. I've wanted to try that method, hmmm

I am finding that my posts are awfully lengthy - I will try to be briefer. I just want to talk with you all. :blah Talk to you again soon I am sure.

I was using I for #1 and 3 and they are still a little to small. I seem to stitch a little on the loose side, and so I will bump it up to J and ues K if needed. :)

I have one other silly question to ask, I wanted to know when you do your edging 1-4 is that part of your 8" square :blush

I was using I for #1 and 3 and they are still a little to small. I seem to stitch a little on the loose side, and so I will bump it up to J and ues K if needed. :)

I have one other silly question to ask, I wanted to know when you do your edging 1-4 is that part of your 8" square :blush

Hi Becky,

I think the edging is meant to be around the whole afghan, not the individual squares. So...the squares are supposed to be 8 inches without the edging (Hard to believe, isn't is?)

BUT...Jimmie did put this edging around every square with fantastic results. There are pictures in this thread and on her blog. Good luck!

Here is a picture of my 35 granny square Its not a very good picture the color isnt very good it is suposed to be frosty green and aran,

P3240154.jpg

Yeah, Evelyn! :yay :yay :yay Yours is so pretty!!! I love it. You and Jimmie have me really re-thinking my making my squares with so many colors! Maybe I'll have to make a second one with just 2 colors. It's just so hard for me to decide which colors to use :think

How is it there in your little town? I haven't been out that way in a while and miss those gorgeous hills!

Mare

Mare

It is beautiful in my little town but growing. If you look on my blog there is a picture of me crossing the bridge we were walking to where there is going to be a subdivision.

I am really pleased with my gahn My flower garden is going to be outlined with the frosty green also

I THINK
unless I change my mind

Archived