35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

Thanks. I have an adversion to acrylic yarn unless it is a novelty yarn and even then I usually use it to accent a wool yarn. So it has to be a natural fiber the only question is what kind, do I get a blend- and if so what combination of fibers... ok more than one question :-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow!! I can't wait to get started. I also doing Grandmother's Flower Garden but I know that it will be a on going thing for a while as I want it to fit my king sized log bed. I know I will be done with the 35 sq's first. but that is ok it is for the baby.

What is your aversion, Debbie? Do you hate the feel or are you allergic? I guess you can use any kind of natural fiber that is about the same weight. Keep in mind this blanket comes out kind of small. I had to use a bigger hook and so did a lot of others. Even then the blanket came out small.

If you're making a baby blanket you'll probably want something soft. I don't know enough about natural fibers to make any suggestions, I'm sure you know more than I do. :)

I made my blanket with Caron Simply Soft which is 100% acrylic but like the name says, it's super soft. :manyheart Anyway, good luck!

Way to go, Jimmie! Your the busiest crocheter I know!! :)

When I first started knitting and crocheting I used only acrylic..then I learned how to spin. All of a sudden I could tell the difference. I just don't like how it feels running across my fingers as I work with it. I do have a few baby blankets that I have picked up at thrift stores- that someone else knitted or crocheted and I like them fine. They are soft.. but I didn't make them (I saved them from the thrift store- how could anyone give something handmade away??).

So it could be cotton, cotton/silk, cotton/wool or cotton/alpaca. Who knows??:-)

Thank you for the warning that it will be on the small side. I will look for a thickness of yarn that I could use a bigger needle with. I will let you all know when I find it :-)

I agree, yarns like Red Heart are not my favorite. Good luck! In the meantime I'll see you over at the grandmother's flower garden CAL. :)

The original source for the pattern (posted by Julie Kay) seems to have sold out (at least I didn't see it listed anymore). I'll keep checking eBay (the only listing I saw wanted $4.50 for shipping :angry ), but I was wondering if anyone has an extra copy of this booklet to sell or knows where I can buy one. Google didn't help much. Thanks.

I am so duuuuhhhh sometimes! I added the buy-it-now listing I was talking about in this post to my watch list, just so I could remember exactly what I was looking for. I kept going back and looking at the listing, wishing that the doggone shipping weren't so high (not that the pattern isn't worth it, it is just offensive to me to pay $4.50 for priority shipping for a booklet that will fit in a kraft envelope). Anywho, I finally noticed that this seller actually had an option for first-class mail, which was much more reasonable....

All that to say...I'm in! The pattern is on it's way to me. I know I'm late and most of you have finished yours, but I'm sure there will be others along the way who want to make this gorgeous afghan.

Colors? I'm going to decide once I see the pattern.

All that to say...I'm in! The pattern is on it's way to me. I know I'm late and most of you have finished yours, but I'm sure there will be others along the way who want to make this gorgeous afghan.

Hi Natasha,

I just started mine last night, and I want to make more than 1, so we can do it together. There are others just starting too I think. It is a beautiful pattern.:)

We'll have fun with this one.

Patty in MI

Just checking in I am done to sq 14

You are just wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too prolific!!!!!! You crazy woman~! How do you manage to get so much done. I'm stuck working all day and am lucky if I get 2 hours a day to crochet. You sound like you have sooooo much going on - when do you find the time to get so much done???

You go, girl! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

No worries, Natasha... I'm a slow go-er... I've only got to 14 and I, too, want to do the Lace and Bobbles one so we'll work together!

I'm doing a whole bunch of colors with this one!

:cheer

Hi Everyone, I started mine yesterday. Mine is for my Mom. Her birthday is at the end of the month. I'm using my imagination and hope it turns out the way I want it to. It will be blue and white squares across the top except for yellow for the sun shining down. Green across the bottom for grass. And a mixture of different colors for flowers. I think it will be pretty. I have 7 squares completed.

Marlene

I am almost done with #2, I decided to do it like a patchwork quilt and using peaches and cream cotton yarn. I had just picked up the cutest pastely shades. I think they will all look cute together and will trim with white.

Hi Everyone, I started mine yesterday. Mine is for my Mom. Her birthday is at the end of the month. I'm using my imagination and hope it turns out the way I want it to. It will be blue and white squares across the top except for yellow for the sun shining down. Green across the bottom for grass. And a mixture of different colors for flowers. I think it will be pretty. I have 7 squares completed.

Marlene

That sounds really pretty! Can't wait to see it!

The squares are turning out lovely. I have 4 completed now. The peaches and cream is soft enough that it will be good for baby- will be durable enough for a baby- and the colors are great..

I just finished square #15 last night while watching War of the Worlds on DVD last night. I hope to get another 5 or 10 squares done tonight so I can work on the Scriptures afghan next. You guys have made me a crocheting fool around here! :hook

I am totally enjoying these squares.. for someone who is new to crochet- well not new but up until a month ago I did nothing more than crochet trim on knitted items I had knitted, crocheted scarves and an occasional hat- oh and plain granny squares. SO this is challenging. I have found myself a few times saying "why would they explain it that way?" and then I redo it the way that is familiar with me but still giving the same results. I love the new stitches and how they look together. I almost done with sq #6. I will post pictures on my blog later. I am also going to walmart tomorrow so I will be getting some more yarn.

This pattern sure has an interesting way of joining rounds! You've got the right idea by doing what works for you! :) If you have any trouble, just give a yell. I know there's one square that was difficult for me to understand. I forget which one but if you look through some of the older posts, it's in there. Many people had trouble with it. So if you come across some directions that make no sense whatsoever, it's the pattern, not you! :think

Archived