35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

that was it. I am so used to slip stitching in each stitch until you get to a corner or a place where you can start easily. so I just did that. thanks for the encouragement. :-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have found myself a few times saying "why would they explain it that way?" and then I redo it the way that is familiar with me but still giving the same results. I love the new stitches and how they look together. I almost done with sq #6. I will post pictures on my blog later. I am also going to walmart tomorrow so I will be getting some more yarn.

Don't feel bad, Debbie... these are really poorly written instructions!~ You are doing great if you can (as a new crocheter) navigate them well enough! Have fun yarn shopping!

I have square #35 to do Then I have them finished ecept sewing them together

:yay

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Congrats! Can't wait to see it!

Don't feel bad, Debbie... these are really poorly written instructions!~ You are doing great if you can (as a new crocheter) navigate them well enough! Have fun yarn shopping!

Thank you very much.. I had quite the time figuring out #7..but I made it through. My daughter wanted to do it but struggled with the first sq. I think I am just going to teach her the basic granny sq.. and get her some funky yarn to do it in. :hook

Thanks for the warning. I may have to rewrite each pattern the next time I do it- so my daughter will have an easier time of it. If she can pick up a regular granny then if the pattern was rewritten in a more understandable way then she can do this too.

Hi girls, I have 5 squares done, and my yarn really sorted out for this. It will be in shades of brown, rusts, some variegated with deep oranges and greens, etc. There won't be any neutral color, (like tan, cream), at least at this point I don';t think so. I was thinking of using different colors in the border too. How do you think that would look. This is definately a scrap afghan. Some of the squares I ran out of yarn in one color, so I added another one. Some of them are solid colors. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. When I get a few more done, I'll post them to my photo album so you can see what I mean so far.

Patty in MI

Great job, Evelyn!! The end is in sight! :clap

You're off to a great start, Patty! :)

That's right, Julie, number 19 was hard to figure out. My advice, Debbie, is not to try this one if you're the slightest bit cranky, it'll send you right over the edge! :thair It's doable but needs an explanation which Julie or I can provide. :)

Debbie

How old is your daughter ?

She is 2 months shy of 13. She completed a square while I was gone. she figured out #1 with minimal mistakes. yay!!

I picked her up some neon colored yarn while out.

Debbie

That is wonderful that your daughter is taking up crocheting too. I keep thinking it's an art that needs to be passed on to the next generation .

You go to these local craft shows around here, and these ladies call it crafts if they have a piece of felt, a glue gun and some glitter .

I think a REAL craft is being able to take a ball of yarn and make it into a masterpiece . Now THAT is art .

I taught my daughter to crochet too, and she has 3 daughters who are all still fairly young. The oldest will soon be 8 , and she has started showing interest in learning too .

I only wish I would have asked my grandma to teach me while she was still here , but I ended up teaching myself with a library book .

Those people who have a family member to teach them are SO lucky. It's like a family heritage thing passed on to the next generation .

Hi Ho Sue !

How are things in your neck of the woods ? :2rain

Still getting a lot of rain ?

We're supposed to have a little snow here overnight but not much .

Had a fun day with the grandbaby -- it is so much fun to hear him laugh. My gosh, I have missed him lately ! His mom and dad were off several days over the holidays so I didn't have him much . He is the funniest 3 year old in Ohio !

Hey Julie! It finally stopped raining here for now, Yay! However, there's millions of dollars in damage up north. I feel so bad for all those people. Who knows if they can even get insurance living on a flood plane. I wish them all well.

So glad you got some time to spend with your grandson. He must be the luckiest kid in Ohio to have such and fun and sweet grammy! :)

Evelyn - sounds like there's no set way to sewing these hexes together. :) Whatever works, right?

"And yes all I do is crochet Everything else just passes me by!!

ASK MY HUSBAND!! "

Hey Evelyn,

Don't feel bad . How many times have you sat talking to your husband, then ask him a question and he either doesn't answer at all, or answers a totally wrong answer that has nothing to do with what you were talking about ?

I think men that are married for a certain length of time have " Selective Hearing Loss " .They tone us out completely sometimes.

So why not crochet away , that way they don't have to turn on their SHL and we don't have to waste time talking to a cement block !:lol

You all are cracking me up!

Evelyn... can't wait to see your ghan. Mine has been neglected... I finished 2 scollars and a hat (gifts), am almost done with my square a month swap square, and made a comfort ghan square this week. Not much but I have to work all day and if I'm lucky, can crochet from 8 to 10 pm... with a lot of interruptions!

But, I can and do crochet and for that I am very blessed!

Hey, has any of you scanned your squares instead of photographing them? Got any tips? Seems like it would be easier to get them to be uniform size in the pics that way...

:yay Mare

I've completed 19 squares as of last night. This is no small feat as I'm visiting my brother over in West Seattle and took my brother's dog for a walk, :dog , cleaned his funky bathroom shower stall, :sweat , and then proceeded to keep the dog entertained all day. I swear that dog is poised for world domination. She rolled around in grass then came inside and rubbed all up on me, on a scale of 1-5 (5 being highest) I'm a 5+ when it comes to grass allergies. :headache

I wanted to get to square #20 yesterday, here's hoping I get to #30 today! Let's hope for the best! :hook

Hi Everyone! I raided my stash and found a lot of neutral colors, but not enough of two of them to make a 2 tone afghan, so I'm using three different colors: ecru, a very light tan, and a darker camel. I hope it comes out okay.

I'm having a terrible time with gauge, though. I started with an I hook (I can never find my H hooks, for some reason), and then a J. Both squares are less than 7 inches. :think Has anyone else had any trouble with gauge? I do tend to have to use bigger hooks than suggested, but there is not usually this big of a difference. Thanks. I am really looking forward to reporting some squares done!

Hey, has any of you scanned your squares instead of photographing them? Got any tips? Seems like it would be easier to get them to be uniform size in the pics that way...

:yay Mare

Hey Mare, Celeste scanned some of her 63 squares and I did some too. It works out pretty well and takes a much clearer picture of the square which fits nicely on the scanner. I think all I did was scan it then uploaded to photobucket. If you want to post the pictures here, you'll need to resize them to 480x360 max. You can resize things on photobucket in edit mode. Hope that helps. :)

Archived