35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

I am sewing them together no set way who is going to know?:lol

Some of the squares I just made a few of the rows the way I wanted

It worked:lol

I'm so silly!! I'm getting my CAL mixed up!! :eek I certainly look forward to pics of your 'ghan when it's done! :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Everyone! I raided my stash and found a lot of neutral colors, but not enough of two of them to make a 2 tone afghan, so I'm using three different colors: ecru, a very light tan, and a darker camel. I hope it comes out okay.

I'm having a terrible time with gauge, though. I started with an I hook (I can never find my H hooks, for some reason), and then a J. Both squares are less than 7 inches. :think Has anyone else had any trouble with gauge? I do tend to have to use bigger hooks than suggested, but there is not usually this big of a difference. Thanks. I am really looking forward to reporting some squares done!

Hi Diane! Your colors sound very pretty! A nice combination.

Everyone had trouble with the gauge. I ended up going up a hook and still got a slightly smaller square. I didn't want to go up any bigger on the hook, I was afraid the square would be too loose and floppy. In the end, the blanket ended up a bit small, more like a lapghan but that was okay with me. A lapghan is a nice size too. :)

Hi Anna

Sounds like you're doing a great job ! Keep up the good work ! I can picture you sneezing your head off while trying to make these squares ( after the doggie trouble )

and Diane - Well, the only other question I have is what kind of yarn are you using ? Maybe it is thinner than some other yarns would be. Like Simply Soft is a lot thinner than Red heart, so the squares would turn out smaller due to that .

That's the only other thing I'd check .

You can always add a few more squares to this if you think it turns out too small ! I think it was 5 x 7 , so you could make 6 rows by 7 or 6 by 8 if that would help !

:) Thanks Sue and Julie!

I decided to stop at size J for my squares. It's a bit looser look than I am used to - but this pattern is so pretty it still looks very nice. My yarn is a bit thinner than Red Heart - one color is Lion Brand Pound of Love, one is Wool Ease, and one is Caron Simply Soft. (My Red Heart leftover skeins are already designated for other stuff.) The Wool Ease is a little thicker, so I'm using a smaller hook for that. I have 2 squares done - I did one over 4 times trying to get gauge. I think this one will go pretty fast though. Yay!

Boy, Anna - you are a good sister! And a determined, fast crocheter. You are inspiring me to get crocheting. See you all.

Hi girls,

I've finished 10 squares so far. You can see them here in my photo album.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pattylee49640/my_photos

enjoy

It seems like this ghan has taken on a mind of it's own. I started out with lots of colors, and am ending up with greens and browns. Hmmmmmm. Just can't seem to put anything else in it. Scrap yarns.

Patty in MI

Hi Diane

Yes, this is a pretty fast moving afghan ! Sounds like you're doing great, though. Keep it up !

and Patty -

Nice job on your squares so far ! You must have used a lot of greens and browns in the past to have so much left in your stash ! Theyre going to be pretty toegther though, I like them !:)

Hi Julie,

As far as the greens and browns, I pick up yarn at resale shops, yard sales, etc. So I never know what they will have. Sometimes just 1 skein of something, but I can use it all. I have so much yarn, I'm going to see how long I can go without buying any more yarn...lol sure...

Patty in MI

That's a great idea, Patty! I need to find a project so I can 'slay' the stash monster that's lurking behind my couch! :)

Hi Guys -

Just a quick note to tell you all that anyone still interested in doing this ,feel free to start ( or continue ). I think the majority of the group has finished it that started, though, so I will be available if you need anything over at the Grandma's Flower Garden Crochetalong. That's my newest project, so will be in there to get some work done on it. Let me know if you need anything in here !

:)

sorry this has been too long for me and now it is time for me to work on the and add them to my other afghan. I am starting it today. So I hope to be able to post pistures as I go...

I have to do this one as well, I have had this book for so long that I have to start working on it. I wanted to add these squares to my scripture afghan that I made last summer. But I dont know what I should do... Maybe I will make one to go with my afghan and then make a different on.

this is a picture of my scripture afghan

Picture%20109.jpg

Is anybody going to make a button for this.:think

Be ready for what I am gonna say!! make sure you are seated and any thing hot is away from your mouth!!!

I have to do only 2 thats right 2 sq!!!! I am gonna do that tonight and start patching it together tomorrow!!!

Boy oh boy do I love weekends!!!!:clap

Dont ask how I did it because I just do not know. I have been sick and couch bound So I guess thats how!!!

Oh my, Jimmie Lu! :eek It's nothing short of amazing the number of projects that you blast through!! I look forward to seeing the 2nd finished 35 granny 'ghan! :)

My 35 granny squares are sewn together and Im putting the edge on :yay Talk gauge!!:eek Mine are all the same size , but only 7 inches each

As long as they are all the same size thats ok isnt it?:blush

My yarn is all redheart.

Yay, Evelyn! Great! :cheer The squares do come out a little on the small side and the blanket will come out more like a lapghan which is still a very nice blanket. :) I look forward to seeing your finished 'ghan! :clap

Sorry to hear you're sick, Jimmie Lu; but that is a good way to work thru a project. I'm still finishing up leftover projects then will be starting this one. Hope someone is around then to keep me company, lol.

Hope you're feeling better today Jimmie ! You are certainly a crochet whiz !

Evelyn - Good for you ! Glad you're finishing up. Can't wait to see a photo !

Kathy

I think there may be a few others out there yet working on this . I hope so, it's more fun when you have someone to work with on it .

I'm still here!:waving

Yeah, Jimmie! You go, girl. I don't know how you do it!:dance

I'm still at 14 squares... had to take time out to finish a couple other things which took me forever and had a really busy weekend.

Hope you all have a great day!

Jimmie Lu, I just finished sq 11. But just realized that my squares are 6 inch not 8 inch. I would love the instructions of how to do the border you did around yours on your blog. I have never crocheted anything together so this would be a first.

thanks!

Aunt Debbie

I whip stitched them together and then followed the boarder inst. in the 35 book thats all!!

I am whipping the sq together!!! Should have this done in a day or 2

I am finding I love this gahn!!! After the scripture gahn I will probably make another because I need one for the lady who we are building for in April down in Mexico!!! This seems to work up fast for me and I enjoy it :cheer

Archived