35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

Debbie - after you complete each square, are you following the "Finishing" directions on page 5 of the book? You need to put a white (or whatever color you're using for the final border around the entire blanket) border around each completed square before you sew the squares together.

Is that what you're asking Jimmie Lu? :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Debbie - after you complete each square, are you following the "Finishing" directions on page 5 of the book? You need to put a white (or whatever color you're using for the final border around the entire blanket) border around each completed square before you sew the squares together.

Is that what you're asking Jimmie Lu? :)

that was it. thanks a bunch!!

so I just got it- call me a little dense- or pregnancy brain challenged.. when I add the white border around each sq. then it should be the right size? then I whip stitch them together and then do the border around the whole shabang.. got it now.

thanks!

Hi Everyone - I'm just checking in. I'm at 13.5 squares. I had to unplug Crochetville for a few hours each day to accomplish that, though... and, of course, WORK interferes.

Becky and Kathy and Quiltymare and Patti - I am so glad you are still in process. I am in the midst of this one two, but it is going so well that I'd like to do a second so that my hubby and I can each have one. I was hoping for some company :ghug:clap

Debbie - I had a major problem with gauge too. I am using J and K size hooks and my squares can be blocked to 8 inches, but will probably be about 7.5 inches in reality. My squares are a little loose. I think your squares so far will make an adorable afghan. I recognize a lot of those colors. They are my favorites from Peaches and Cream

Jimmie and Debbie - Jimmie - I love your afghans, especially the 63 squares- what a great selection of colors for a man. Am I crazy, or is it true that on your 35 afghan, it does look like there is an extra border around each square. Is that an option in the finishing section? (I don't have the book with me at the moment.) It looks like the larger border, but around every square. That would be a great option to increase the size of each square. It looks fantastic.

Sue - I took a peek at your blog and LOVE your Grandmother Flower Garden.

Evelyn - Congratulations on finishing! :yayI hope to be there too someday. It seems I am great on starting, but not so much on finishing - especially sewing squares together. We will see.

Good night everyone!:night

Aunt Debbie,

those are some GORGEOUS squares! i love the variegated colors, so, so pretty, and a nice way to jazz up your squares. i've completed 27 squares and i have a pic posted of them on the second to the most recent entry. i hope to be done within the next day or two. i'm gonna give this one to my brother's financee`. :hook

Y'all, my pattern arrived yesterday, :clap so I dug into the stash once I saw the yarn requirements. I'm using Wool-Ease sportweight. I have nine skeins of "Natural Heather" (the main color, for 18 squares and the border) and six skeins of "Dark Rose Heather" (the second color, for 17 squares). Each skein is five ounces, 435 yards. The pattern calls for 17.5 ounces, 1150 yards of the main color and 13 ounces, 855 yards of the second color, but in worsted weight yarn. I have sportweight, a total of 3915 yards in the main color and 2610 in the second. My gauge is always wonky, too - I crochet tightly.

Basically, I figure :think I've got to get three squares out of each skein I have, reserving three skeins for the border.

Do y'all think I'll run out of yarn? :eek I am just accepting that I probably will. This yarn is discontinued, as you may know. Buying a different yarn is not an option for me right now. I'm kinda interested in seeing how it will all work out. Wish me luck. :cheer

I started my first square last night, and I really like working with the Wool-Ease sportweight. We shall see.

Jimmie and Debbie - Jimmie - I love your afghans, especially the 63 squares- what a great selection of colors for a man. Am I crazy, or is it true that on your 35 afghan, it does look like there is an extra border around each square. Is that an option in the finishing section? (I don't have the book with me at the moment.) It looks like the larger border, but around every square. That would be a great option to increase the size of each square. It looks fantastic.

Yes I did in my first gahn wrap an extra boarder only because I thought it was sopose to be that way I mis understood the directions I was 1/4 way done when I realized it and hey who was gonna frog that much not me!!!!:eek

I think it did make it bigger and it did off set the sq because I used all the same color and then used diff for boarder.

I have 1 last row to assemble then I will do a boarder. i am so far behind on my blogging but I will get a pic posted here asap!!

Call me nuts but I already have the colors picked for my next 35 gahn!!!:eek lol

Thanks, Diane! (Warning: Shameless plug :devil ) Did you happen to scroll down my blog and see my finished 35 granny square blanket? :hook I liked the blanket so much that I want to make another one, too, and even have it all planned out!! Just need make more progress on the granny's flower garden. :)

Good job on your 13.5 squares...doesn't other stuff like work, errands and chores cut into crochet time??!

Natasha - Yay! Your pattern in here! The yarn requirements are pretty accurate. The only thing is that this blanket tends to come out smaller than stated in the book. Mine came out more like a lapghan. How big are your squares coming out with the sportweight yarn? :clap

I have 1 last row to assemble then I will do a boarder. i am so far behind on my blogging but I will get a pic posted here asap!!

Call me nuts but I already have the colors picked for my next 35 gahn!!!:eek lol

Can't wait to see a finished pic, Jimmie Lu!

Oh and me too! I've got my next 35 grannies all planned out!!:manyheart

Natasha -

hope you have enough yarn -- this one really doesn't take all that much ,compared to lots of other afghans .

Jimmie and Sue- you guys must love this pattern ,already planning out another one ! What colors are you all aiming for next ?

Hey Julie - I'm going to make the next in all off-white. It's the same off-white I used with the bone color for the first 35 granny 'ghan I made. However, for this 'ghan I want to use the flat-braid joining method used in this link. You'll need to scroll down to see the finished braid. :)

Hi Everyone!

Still lurking lately... haven't touched my grannies but maybe tonight. I hope, anyway. Been working some OT!

Aunt Debbie and Anna... nice squares. Anna, your blog cracked me up. I love your pic of you with the yarn. Too funny!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Mare

:loco I dont have the time to look at all the posts to find out if anybody has asked this before, but I am working on the squares and its no were near the 8'' its is about a size 6 for #3 square. I am useing an H hook. I know I need to use a bigger size, so my question is what size has every one used in making your squarers. I understand that everyone is differend on making the squares, if they are loose or a tight stitch.

Aunt Debbie-It will be to long for a baby gahn. In my opinion!

I just finished mine and Yowie I am not happy with the size so the next one will be just as the first. The sq will be all the same color and add a boarder to seperate the sq and off set them This way made the gahn about the size for a twin bed!! Will post to my blog tonight after 7:30

I have found that twice I have had squares turn out smaller than they should be. On sq 8 and now on sq 12. I had to do a row of sc around to make them the same size as the others. :think

Archived