Rainbow granny blankie

magiccrochetfan

I made this using Stylecraft Special DK, purchased from a destash here.  The main part is a granny square w/ no ch between the dc groups on sides, and 2 ch in the corners.  Edging is inspired by Pierrot Yarns pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/29-19-crochet-shawl

At one point, I had the wrong number of sts in an edging row, so I had to do surgery, cut out sections of a couple of rows and redid them; first crochet surgery I have done and was quite happy it worked!  closeup is where I cut and redid, with yarn tails from the cut and the added parts.  

post-10356-0-51301200-1411772644_thumb.jpg

post-10356-0-28668500-1411772742_thumb.jpg

​Beautiful, Kathy!!  Why did you have to cut out the errors?  Couldn't you have just frogged it and redone it?  It sure turned out right, though, didn't it?!

Thank you Mary Jo and Colette, it means a lot to me that you like it :-)

The reason i cut it was that i was winging it for the edging. My st count worked everywhere else but in that one corner i had the wrong number of sts on the prevous row. Would have had to rip two rows and i figured i then would mess up somewhere else when i redid it. Easier to cut than to count sts and make notes lol! Plus i have read a lot recently about repairing by cutting so i guess i just wanted to try it....if it hadnt worked, then i could still rip.

I love it! I'm such a color junkie to me it looks perfect. I love the Stylecraft Special DK and have some waiting in the stash - it will be dessert after some serious destashing that's underway. I love seeing beautiful projects make from it - they always inspire me.

Yikes! Very pretty Kathy. The selection of your display area on a tree makes the green pop beautifully from the green leaves. I also like the way you sorted the color scheme. Brilliant actually!

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!   :manyheart

I should say regarding the colors, this is largely the Lucy color pack from Deramore's with a few deletions and additions.  And also that I started out to make a regular size afghan, but realized the color combo was just TOO bright, so i finished it off at small-blankie size.  Don't know if i will get back to the original idea anytime soon, since i now have other projects started which are for gifts so there is somewhat of a deadline.   But I'm happy with this as it turned out, and I just have to figure out the best place to donate it.  Friend w/ a baby told me it's about the right size for a car-seat blankie, too small for a regular baby blanket.  So I may get a doll and donate doll and blankie to the local Xmas toy drive, I imagine a little girl would be happy w/ a doll and a rainbow blankie :lol .  

Archived