My Crocheted Couch...

I have a piece of crap couch. I mean the coushins are ripped up. I sew them, but they come apart.. Im a really bad sewer. So I got a realy brilliant idea just a minute ago when sewing it for the millionth time. (This time my doggy ripped it.... ) I am going to sew yarn onto it and then crochet over that yarn.. Im going to have a crocheted couch.. How many people can say that? Ill keep updates on the progess :) And Ill even start a blog for it. Im just going to use the cheap yarn cos Whoa! I know its going to take a lot and for what Im going to pay for yarn I could probably just get a new couch, but Im partial to this one. I would cry if I threw it out :)

That is a great idea! I can't wait to see it. I have a sofa that needs re-covering also. I thought about crocheting pillow covers for the cushions; but I just wouldn't really want much of the material showing through. I never thought about sewing yarn on it. Let us know how it goes!

Ive started on it!. I am darning the couch Im not sure what its actually called, but its like when you attach a border to something that is not crocheted... Im kind of weaving some yarn into it so I can crochet on that yarn. I hope that makes sense! The colour is just going to be plain white, tho I might decide to add another colour. Im stumped as to how to do it all right now tho. The yarn Ive been putting on has been on the egde of the cushions. Im going to go all of the way around the top part of it. Im not sure if I want to just make a square and attach it to this yarn or if I want to weave the yarn into the couch the whole way around and crochet into it (which was my original plan for a tighter hold) Guess Ill have to wait and see!

Ive half-way set up a blog Its :

http://mycrochetedcouch.blogspot.com Im going to try and get some pictures tonight!

I had been putting a sheet over it.. A fitted sheet worked really nicely to go over the back and the cushions.

123mama: I thought about that, but that would be the easy way of doing it :)

but I like your idea to keep the crochet tighter around the cushions. I wonder if pillow cases would be too loose around the cushions. Then again, if they fit properly, maybe not.

i cant wait to see pics of this!

in the back of one of my crochet mags there was a couch (it was a tissue cover)...my youngest saw it and said "you can crochet a couch??"....i said, sure, a small one...thats only for over tissues.....then i said, you know, i suppose if you wanted though, you could crochet a couch, but it would take an awful lot of yarn!!!!

cant wait to see and show her the pics!

I think for the cushions, I would make a square to fit the top and bottom of the cushion and then a strip to go around the edges, then attach the squares to three sides of the strip, slip in the cushion and then close it up. For the remainder of the couch would make wide strips and piece together to fit the couch. You have given me a good idea for covering mine. Had not thought to do it in crochet - but will be a good challenge for me.

Im going to just post this reply on my blog also.

After stiching around (or half around) one of the edges of the cushions to stich into I have realized this is going to be hard! The fabric on the cushins are HARD to get the needle into. My thumb is already killing me. I might pull that out and do what you are saying here. Making three pieces for each cushion One for the top, one for the bottom and one to go around it and hold them together. I am going to do one peice for the back of the couch. This is going to go where your back is at when sitting and also on the back of the couch itself. I am going to make a little ruffle-ish strip to go along the bottom of the couch. Two pieces for the sides of the couch and two pieces to go onto those pieces for the arms. Two pieces to go on the front of it where the arms are. And two pieces to go on the back of the arm. This might sound really confusing, but once I get the pictures of the couch it will make a lot more sense. So, basically instead of crocheting into the couch, I am just making one huge slipcover. But the slip cover will not go over the cushions, they (the cushions) will have their own little thing to go into. If anybody saw on the blog.. I am doing it in white. Yes very gutsy, but I am a major friend of bleach :) And since it will be removable, it will be washable as well.

I think for the cushions, I would make a square to fit the top and bottom of the cushion and then a strip to go around the edges, then attach the squares to three sides of the strip, slip in the cushion and then close it up. For the remainder of the couch would make wide strips and piece together to fit the couch. You have given me a good idea for covering mine. Had not thought to do it in crochet - but will be a good challenge for me.

:daydreami I can see a freeform crochet couch!

Wouldn't it be neat covered in all sorts of scrumbles in all shades of white and off white? You just make the motifs and such and then sew them on as you go! You could start by covering holes and then work from there!~

:yay Mare

Oh yes! The holey part is the first to get covered. Its the cushion my son lays on. Hes not really close to the hole since he is so little, but one day he is going to grow lol

:daydreami I can see a freeform crochet couch!

Wouldn't it be neat covered in all sorts of scrumbles in all shades of white and off white? You just make the motifs and such and then sew them on as you go! You could start by covering holes and then work from there!~

:yay Mare

butterfly girl: Do you know what magazine it is? Id love to see it!

Also Ive uploaded a few albiet bit dodgy pictures of the couch. I do have some other ones to upload, but cant seem to get the darn thing working long enough to do it!

Neat idea, don't forget to use a sturdy cotton :).

I have a piece of crap couch. I mean the coushins are ripped up. I sew them, but they come apart.. Im a really bad sewer. So I got a realy brilliant idea just a minute ago when sewing it for the millionth time. (This time my doggy ripped it.... ) I am going to sew yarn onto it and then crochet over that yarn.. Im going to have a crocheted couch.. How many people can say that? Ill keep updates on the progess :) And Ill even start a blog for it. Im just going to use the cheap yarn cos Whoa! I know its going to take a lot and for what Im going to pay for yarn I could probably just get a new couch, but Im partial to this one. I would cry if I threw it out :)

Cool idea! I have a couple of rocker recliners that are gross because my kids spill stuff on them. I wasn thinking of making crocheted covers for them that I can just toss in the wash. Can't wait to see your finished couch!

Wow! what a great idea . I have some freeform crochet that outgrew the original idea i was going to use it for and its been laying there waiting to become something else. Thanks to you i think it will keep growing till it fits my couch. Thanks thats brilliant! Jacqui

Archived