Crochet-Along Challenge: Vote in Poll for Final Pattern Selection

Amy

FINAL Selection: CAL Challenge Shawl Pattern  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Select the shawl pattern listed below that you would most like us to do for the CAL Challenge. Links to patterns in first post of thread.

• Have a Heart
    • Lorelei
    • Simply Irresistible
    • Triangles
    • Oasis Wrap
    • Magnificent Mantle
    • French Blue
    • Persephone
    • Bowtie Pi
    • Graceful Shell

what did you do wrong cause Apparently i did something wrong also. i only have 26 clusters instead of 30

I only did one cluster in the shell, so had half as many as called for. There are 3 increases on the first row. The first and third ones will have 3 clusters and the middle one will have four clusters. Maybe you missed some of those.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only did one cluster in the shell, so had half as many as called for. There are 3 increases on the first row. The first and third ones will have 3 clusters and the middle one will have four clusters. Maybe you missed some of those.

Yep Mine was a mistake in the increases. I have had to frog it 4 times and totaly start over. will try again tomorrow

Haven't started on mine yet as I'm waiting for the wool to arrive. I can see by your comments that I will have to keep careful watch of the pattern when I start. Thanks all for sharing your experiences!

For some reason I had trouble getting it set in my head that the shell is a cluster, ch 6 "picot" (my name for it), cluster; and the increase is cl, ch 6 "picot", cl, ch 6 "picot", cl.

Once I got that down, the pattern is going ok.

I put mine away as I had other projects to finish.  I'll have to collect it from the yarn room and see what I have :think

I went ahead and started the shawl because I have a project that I'm avoiding starting on! DIL has requested a stuffed rabbit that uses pompom yarn. I've never done a stuffed animal or used pompom yarn, and can't seem to get motivated to get started on it. The baby is due in July, so I'll have to get going on it pretty soon!

Do you guys think this shawl would look good in a brown varigated yarn? The yarn is TLC Essentials in Brownberry... sorry can't link a picture right now.

I got the page for the swatch:   http://tinyurl.com/blbx3c5

it is a bit bland in the pic but then mine is a charcoal heather so what do i know :rofl

Well, I think I will pass on the Graceful Shell shawl.  It wasn't one of my favorites and I'd just be making it to make it without having any person in mind to receive it.  Since I have too many other projects that have to get done, I'll pass.  I will check back periodically though to see some updates.

For some reason I had trouble getting it set in my head that the shell is a cluster, ch 6 "picot" (my name for it), cluster; and the increase is cl, ch 6 "picot", cl, ch 6 "picot", cl.

Once I got that down, the pattern is going ok.

Yes my trouble is remembering the picot now.

Well, I think I will pass on the Graceful Shell shawl.  It wasn't one of my favorites and I'd just be making it to make it without having any person in mind to receive it.  Since I have too many other projects that have to get done, I'll pass.  I will check back periodically though to see some updates.

oh go ahead and join us. with me when I make a shawl just to make one. (i like to have a prayer shawl on hand) the Lord always shows me someone who needs it about halfway through. Someone going through a rough time of some sorts. be it family issues, unemployment or a death or sickness. Someone will need that shawl.

I have been doing mine in ww the color is carrot. but I wanted to get the general idea then use the fingering yarn my hubby brought home.  I think he is looking forward to me useing it too cause i switched to the WW he asked me how come.

oh go ahead and join us. with me when I make a shawl just to make one. (i like to have a prayer shawl on hand) the Lord always shows me someone who needs it about halfway through. Someone going through a rough time of some sorts. be it family issues, unemployment or a death or sickness. Someone will need that shawl.

I have been doing mine in ww the color is carrot. but I wanted to get the general idea then use the fingering yarn my hubby brought home.  I think he is looking forward to me useing it too cause i switched to the WW he asked me how come.

It's just not a project that interests me.  I'm not a big shawl fan to begin with :(  I would participate just for the fun of it though if I didn't already have so many WIP's; although only two have deadlines at the end of this month.  I'm also working with a group from the Pittsburgh Fiber Arts Guild to yarn bomb one of the Pittsburgh bridges later this summer, which as you can imagine is a huge project and comes with deadlines followed by many hours of work beyond that just to prep so the installation hopefully goes smoothly :eek

Good luck on your Yarn Bombing. I am the only person I know personally that crochets or knits. Besides my mother. I have a few that have asked me to teach them but it has never gone beyond talk. 

I am tickled  :cheer  row one is complete and done in the fingering yarn.  I think it is gonna be gorgeous in this yard.. essentially i am doing this shawl twoce. once in the WW yarn to get the hang of the pattern and once in the fingering thread.

I am tickled  :cheer  row one is complete and done in the fingering yarn.  I think it is gonna be gorgeous in this yard.. essentially i am doing this shawl twoce. once in the WW yarn to get the hang of the pattern and once in the fingering thread.

I'm still trying to decide what to use for this  - I have some fingering Nightfall yarn that I LOVE; but it's only 490 yards and 2 skeins of the Red Heart called for in this pattern = 512 yards.  So it would *probably* be enough, but I really don't want to get almost done and then run short...

What size hook are you using with the fingering yarn?  Are you getting the same gauge as the pattern calls for with the ww?

I'm still trying to decide what to use for this  - I have some fingering Nightfall yarn that I LOVE; but it's only 490 yards and 2 skeins of the Red Heart called for in this pattern = 512 yards.  So it would *probably* be enough, but I really don't want to get almost done and then run short...

What size hook are you using with the fingering yarn?  Are you getting the same gauge as the pattern calls for with the ww?

I am using a j hook. I dont have a k. I tried the p hook but it wont work very well with the yarn. may chains keep closing up on me. I am running short on my gadge. 3 shells are about 4 inches instead of 5

I stopped at Joann's today to get supplies for a mother's day project for my students to make this week. I hadn't decided on a yarn for the shawl yet so I decided to browse. I almost left without yarn but then I spied Simply Soft in Sunset, a really pretty variegated, so that is what I will be using for my shawl. I have a sewing guild meeting tonight so I won't be crocheting but hope to start the shawl in a day or two.

I have 5 rows done. I'm using Red Heart Shimmer in Zebra. It seems like it will be very short. The whole shawl is only 9 rows. The row gauge is 2 rows= 3". I don't see how it will be 17" when finished. Will it stretch that much with blocking?

I have 5 rows done. I'm using Red Heart Shimmer in Zebra. It seems like it will be very short. The whole shawl is only 9 rows. The row gauge is 2 rows= 3". I don't see how it will be 17" when finished. Will it stretch that much with blocking?

I'm wondering about the gauge also. Mine is no where close to being as "open" as the photo. I'm considering trying an L hook.

I just finished two rows with an L hook and I like the look and feel of it much better. The gauge is better, too.

I really dislike working with huge hooks for more than just trim or something (to me L is huge!)  :-)

I think I'm going to stick with a worsted weight, a J or K hook, and then just keep going until it's as big as I want it.  I have some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool that I'll use.  I have 8 skeins of it (1500+ yards), so there will be plenty.

Just got back from visiting my DD in Boston, so haven't started yet. Thanks for the notes on the issues some of you have had with the first row.

Hoping to go through stash tomorrow night and see what yarn I'm going to use. Tonight I have to unpack and do laundry and get ready for my return to work tomorrow.

Archived