Crochet-Along Challenge: Vote in Poll for Final Pattern Selection

Amy

FINAL Selection: CAL Challenge Shawl Pattern  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Select the shawl pattern listed below that you would most like us to do for the CAL Challenge. Links to patterns in first post of thread.

• Have a Heart
    • Lorelei
    • Simply Irresistible
    • Triangles
    • Oasis Wrap
    • Magnificent Mantle
    • French Blue
    • Persephone
    • Bowtie Pi
    • Graceful Shell

Hi!  I've started this shawl & I'd like your opinions.  I've got 1st row done and not sure if I'm doing the shell correctly.  The 1st picture shows the shells and the 2nd shows the increase shell.  I really appreciate everyone's help!

Ann

post-40080-0-94048500-1367886162_thumb.jpg

post-40080-0-11343000-1367886181_thumb.jpg

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first row - needing to be revised or something but I'm wondering if you or I have it wrong ?

post-4896-0-01521000-1367886904_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-03678400-1367886905_thumb.jpg

Ok, I know I have to redo but our two photos are very diferent.

Hi!  I've started this shawl & I'd like your opinions.  I've got 1st row done and not sure if I'm doing the shell correctly.  The 1st picture shows the shells and the 2nd shows the increase shell.  I really appreciate everyone's help!

Ann

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture. The shell is a cluster, the ch 6 part, and another cluster all in the same foundation chain.

The increase shell is cluster, ch 6 part, cluster, ch 6 part, cluster, again all in the same foundation chain.

The clusters don't look very fat, but it may just be the picture. You can recheck the cl instructions under special stitches if you are in doubt about them--the key is three times (all in the same stitch) to yo, insert, yo, draw thru 2 loops, then draw thru all 4 loops on the hook.

I've just completed row 4.  I agree with everyone, this seems to be a little short.  However, i checked my gauge after row 2, and I'm right at gauge for the height, and slightly below it for the length.  i'm using a size K Clover Light Up hook.  The Clover hooks seem to crochet larger than other hooks.  So my Clover K would be about a Boye L.

I'm using Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" sparkle yarn in black.  And I love the sparkle and shimmer to it.  If this piece turns out, this shawl is going to be beautiful. 

I did a swatch using my original choice...HL's "I Love This Cotton," also in a black sparkle.  But I could immediately tell it wasn't going to work.  I still think I'll make a vest or shawl using it...but it won't be a lacy piece. 

After reading everyone's posts, I think I'm crocheting way too loose.  I'm going to start over and see how it goes.  Thank you everyone for your help!   :)

Ann

Thank you for this explaination of the shell stitch for I totally didnt see that after I did the ch 6 picot" that there was another cl.  Thanks for this I wrote it into my pattern now tomorrow I will begin anew.  Thanks again

For some reason I had trouble getting it set in my head that the shell is a cluster, ch 6 "picot" (my name for it), cluster; and the increase is cl, ch 6 "picot", cl, ch 6 "picot", cl.

Once I got that down, the pattern is going ok.

I had to frog row 1 once but picked it up pretty quick. Here are my first 2 rows. My flash on my camera did not like the color of this yarn in a darkish room. I will have to take better pictures in daylight.

post-65347-0-80712600-1367894362_thumb.jpg

And here is a close up

post-65347-0-23327400-1367894538_thumb.jpg

I've made it through 2 rows; I'm using an I hook and am making the row gauge, but not the stitch gauge.  I tried using a K hook; I just don't like that big of a hook unless I'm using a bulky yarn.

I also changed the first row to fsc instead of chains; I like the stretchiness & look of fsc much better than chain stitches. 

I'll see how big it is after working 9 rows; if it's not big enough I'll just add more rows.  :tup

By the time I start this I'm going to forget all the hints everyone has mentioned!!!

Love the progress photo!

I have 6 rows done now and it still looks a lot smaller than it should be. The pattern doesn't say to block it, but it will definitely be necessary if the shawl is going to look anything like the picture. I've never blocked anything, but I guess I'll have to give it a try.

i dont even know where to begin to block something Guess I will be you tubing that lol.

I am on row 6 in the fingering weight and row 7 of the WW shawls.

we are gonna be done with this CAL before Amy ever comes back to get us started lol

I also think I am going to have to block mine. Mine is acrylic though. Will just washing it ans drying it kill the acrylic and open the stitches? I have never blocked anything either.

Just started my shawl , I'm still on the first row taking tiny steps in crocheting each stitch of the first row.  So far I'm doing good.  I'm using RH Soft yarn since I had two skeins in my stash.

I also think I am going to have to block mine. Mine is acrylic though. Will just washing it ans drying it kill the acrylic and open the stitches? I have never blocked anything either.

I looked on line some last night and found mixed info about acrylics. There was one that said to steam it, but most said for acrylic just wash and dry it. Steam will evidently change the texture (maybe not the right word) of the yarn, one said leave it limp, no body. They said if you steam acrylic, it is permanent; washing won't change it. If I trying steaming, I'll definitely experiment with a sample first.

I've made a bazillion acrylic items...and washing and drying (on low/medium) is all I ever do to "block" any of it. Good luck!

I've made it through 2 rows; I'm using an I hook and am making the row gauge, but not the stitch gauge.  I tried using a K hook; I just don't like that big of a hook unless I'm using a bulky yarn.

I also changed the first row to fsc instead of chains; I like the stretchiness & look of fsc much better than chain stitches. 

Didn't think about using the fsc.  i love the fsc, and hate crocheting directly into chains.  FSC works, because the last row is SC all around anyway. 

Oh, and one bit of advice which goes for all crochet projects.  When your project involves a lot fo stitch counting, and you're baby sitting your grandchild, don't put on a video called "Adventures in Wonderland."  My four-year-old granddaughter counted along with the Leap Frog animals...at the same time as I was attempting to count clusters. 

Archived