FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

WOW! your bag is amazing. Thank you so much for posting photos.

I am still at around row 20 of the body of the bag, but I am seeing progress. I keep telling myself that some of the imperfections will work their way out during the felting process. :D

I am going to make the contrast color band a little wider on mine just for fun. My bag is chocolate brown with varigated pink/burgundy as the contrast. I gave up on getting more of the Lopi yarn for now. I am using some 100% wool from Bernat that I found at Hobby Lobby. For those of you with a Hobby Lobby, keep checking their website or your local Sunday paper. For the last few weeks they have been running a 40% off coupon. The good part is you can download a new coupon EVERY DAY of the week. :cheer

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your tote came out great! The colors are nice too. I have the magazine and was looking over the instructions for felting the tote. Is that how you felted your piece? I was just wondering. I hear it's good to run it through the wash.....the instructions were different.

I must say sewing those darn straps on was a pain in the behind. Some patterns are very specific about what row or how far in or down to put things, well this pattern was pretty unhelpful as far as that goes. I hope it looks ok when I'm done and dry.

I didn't feel like I got good felting using their method in the sink. I must've done the hot/cold thing three times. Then I broke for dinner and then did the washing machine way from knitty.com on the super long cycle using a Tblsp. of detergent and a couple of vinegar. I rinsed in the sink, squeezed gently and blotted between towels. I was so shocked at the shrinkage, it's just what I wanted.

I can't wait to show my sisters!

I think your bag looks great!

To those of you who have finished your bags, are you happy with the length and thickness of the handles?

what role does vinegar play in the felting?

I am on row 42 of the single crochet! :cheer I am now trying to decide how many rows of the contrasting color I want. So many decisions!

To those of you who have finished your bags, are you happy with the length and thickness of the handles?

what role does vinegar play in the felting?

I do think the handles are a little spindley. Maybe a different stitch would bulk it up a bit, but since this is my first time felting, I don't have any other experience with how things turn out. Perhaps researching some other patterns would help.

As far as the vinegar goes, it was recommended in the fulling/felting forum. I think it has something to do with chemically affecting the fibers. Here is the link to the article http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATfelthis.html. He just recommends hot water and lots of agitation. I used a pillowcase tied shut with a rubberband and didn't let it spin, hence it is still damp, but I am happy with the results.

I just finished my first tote and posted pictures over at show-n-tell under accesories. Take a look!

On around row 25 I realized I was going to run out of yarn, so I made the tab and circles using the main color and did 10 rows of red, then switched back to the main color. I think it looks OK. Next time I will by 3 skeins of the main color just to be sure.

Also, I think for the next bag I am going to do an I-cord (knitted) for the handles. The handles this way just don't feel strong enough.

I have my second bag started with grey and black.

I love this pattern!

I can't believe the shrinkage, Alli!! WOW!! I LIKE IT!!! A LOT!!

Last night I went to JoAnn's and looked at all the Paton's 100% wool colors. Wasn't really thrilled with any of them and ended up picking up some other yarn for a different project instead. :devil

I was gonna do this as a gift for a friend that is in college again (after being married for 8 years and two kids -- YAY HER!!) Do you think the straps and bag are sturdy enough for say a notebook, folder and textbook? Or even a textbook and 3-ring binder? Would it even fit? I'd probably have to use a slightly bigger hook...? :think I have so many questions..... :lol

Alimac--your bag looks fantastic! I printed the unfelted picture to help me determine where to place some stripes.

I started last night and finished the bottom and 4 rows....only 49 more rows of mindnumbing sc.

I'd consider making some bags for gifts if it wasn't such tedious project--wish i could throw in some dc :)

Anyone thought about lining their bags?

Ok ladies, drum roll please:lol My bag is felted and drying!!!

Wow!!! It turned out great Alli! I needed the inspiration. I'm so sick of single crochet I took a night off. Now I'm motivated to start working on it again!

Well, it looks like I'll be starting on the dreaded SC rows from hell tomorrow! Wish me luck!!!!

Good luck Donnalynn! I have never been a great fan of SC and it's been a challenge for me, but seeing the finished products of fellow CALers has really helped!

I wrote this in the wrong thing before, but if I had it to do again (and maybe I will!) I might double the yarn on the handles to make it thicker.

Ok, I'm a little confused. Working on the "SIDES" part of the instructions it says to work 16 SC along the short edge then 44SC along the long edge and do this for 53 rows... My question is, do I just work the short edge, then the long edge then turn and repeat or do I work both short edges??? HELP!!!!

Ok, I'm a little confused. Working on the "SIDES" part of the instructions it says to work 16 SC along the short edge then 44SC along the long edge and do this for 53 rows... My question is, do I just work the short edge, then the long edge then turn and repeat or do I work both short edges??? HELP!!!!

Donna,

You won't need to turn at all, you will be starting "rounds" meaning you will do the 16, do the 44, do the 16, do the 44 then either join rounds with a slip stitch or just keep going around (people have done it both ways and once it's felted you probably won't be able to tell)

Donna,

You won't need to turn at all, you will be starting "rounds" meaning you will do the 16, do the 44, do the 16, do the 44 then either join rounds with a slip stitch or just keep going around (people have done it both ways and once it's felted you probably won't be able to tell)

Thanks so much! Is it just me or are the instructions not written very clearly???

I can see now that I'm going to need a lot more yarn! :lol

Ok, I can get anywhere from 3-4 rows of SC's in ONE SKEIN of yarn, 50Grams each... That's like 13 skeins just for this portion, not to mention the straps... Maybe I am making this wayyyyy too big??? I know I crochet loosely but I can't imagine I do it that loosely! I'm going to check my gauge and I may end up having to frog this and start ove UGH!

Yikes! I just took the box out of my tote that I was using to block it while it was drying and I realized that I had attached the handles wrong! I attached the handles with one circle to the front and the other to the back instead of one handle on the front and one on the back. So now when I put the bag over my shoulder it doesn't lay flat. If you look at my picture you'll see what I mean.

IM000231.jpg

I guess I'll have to cut the handles and re-attach the right way.

Just thought I'd warn everyone!

I noticed that a lot of your handles look thinner than mine did. The way I read the directions was that you start with the chain, work your way around the first circle, DC back across the chain, work around the second circle, and do another row of DC back to the first circle before finishing off.

So each handle has two rows of DC. After felting the straps seem in proportion to the bag.

To the poster still looking for this mag: I noticed that at my local shops, it sold out quickly. Maybe try Books a Million or Barnes and Nobles? Maybe they can order one for you?

I checked my gauge and yep, I'm way way way off! I think the reason it's so big is because I'm using a different yarn than called for. DUH! So I frogged the whole thing (I cried every stitch) and have tried several hooks but my gauge is still too large so I'm starting it with an H hook and reducing the starting chain by 11. Hope this still works out... UGH!

I went back to work on the bag last night. I decided to stripe the sides. So here is what I am doing on the sides.

15 rows MC

5 rows CC

15 rows MC

5 rows CC

10 rows MC

5 rows CC

I hope it turns out ok. I am on row 19 now. I only get an hour or so to work on it each night and I am obviously a very slow crocheter in comparison to the others here!!

Archived