FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

Chickpea your bag turned out awesome! I was thinking about lining mine, but I've never lined anything before. Any tips?

Uh...get your mom who knows something about sewing to help you :)

We, used a box that fit nicely into the bottom of the bag. We then put the box on top of the fabric and added an extra inch to all sides. Then wemeasured up from the point on the bag where it is square, which on my bag was 9 inches, and then added an inch to it all on sides. We then put the wrong sides together and placed the bag on top of the fabric, traced the outline of the purse, and added 1 inch to both sides. Sewed it all togetehr, and tehn slip stitched it into the bag. I'm sure that this is not very clear, my mom was the one who figured out how to do everthing, I think I could do it again, but I'm not sure. Doing it this way gave me a flat bottom to my bag. But i'd think you could also do it easily by putting the wrong sides of the fabric together, tracing the bottowm and the sides of the bag, add an inch, and then sew all teh way around, but this won't give you a flat bottom.

You

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blues and Cristin, thanks for the KnitPicks info. I'll have to try them next time for wool. I used Crystal Palace for this because I know I like how it felts and I ended up spending twice that!

The only thing you have to check is yardage. The Knitpicks is only 123 yds (that's from memory, so I could be off?), so I had to order 3 skeins (I always buy more in fear that I'll run out and so dye lots match!) of my main color. Only $1.79 each so I don't mind buying over.

Rachel!! The extras on your bag are AWESOME!!! You are SO creative!! I got inspired to sew a Christmas tree skirt after finishing all of the color guard flags -- now that I have a sewing machine (and knowledge of how to use it) WATCH OUT the possibilities are endless!! (insert evil villanous laugh)

Cristin

Thanks! Hehe, thats the same thing i told my mom, the measuring of everything is a pain in the butt, but it's kinda fun to sew!

ANd no, its not me. I saw the ribbon idea in a book I was thumbing through while hubby was paying for things at Ac Moore.

ya, I'm not sure I go do anything without a pattern....or at least some supervision....LOL

Great job, no matter where you got the inspiration!! Looks really good, Rachel.

The only thing you have to check is yardage. The Knitpicks is only 123 yds

Cristin

Thanks for the reminder about the yardage. Also thank you for the kind words you said about my quilts. They are fun to make. I sew a lot so can help anyone with the lining if they want help. It isn't really that hard. I might line my bag. If I can find some fabric here that looks okay with it, I will take photos of each step if anyone is interested.

Does Knitpicks have fast shipping?

As much as I loved it before, I love it more now. Now I don't feel like my keys will poke a hole in the bag. It was my first sewing project since 7th grade! So the stiches aren't great but I'm pretty proud!

Wow!!! :yay That is gorgeous!!! I love the additions.

Also thank you for the kind words you said about my quilts. They are fun to make.

Kippiann - I meant to tell you the other day that your quilts are gorgeous! I have seen quite a few Dear Jane's but your's really shines!

:manyheart

Well I finally finished mine last night! I ended up washing it 3 times and I like the way it turned out. Since I used Landscapes yarn it didn't felt like normal wool but I like the way it looks. It is bumpy, but the stitches are tight and I have no danger of crochet hooks popping out of the sides of this tote. I opted not to make a closure and I think it look ok without it... I'm anxious to find some 100% wool yarn for my next project!

totebefore.jpg

toteafter.jpg

Well I finally finished mine last night! I ended up washing it 3 times and I like the way it turned out. Since I used Landscapes yarn it didn't felt like normal wool but I like the way it looks. It is bumpy, but the stitches are tight and I have no danger of crochet hooks popping out of the sides of this tote. I opted not to make a closure and I think it look ok without it... I'm anxious to find some 100% wool yarn for my next project!

Wow! I think that is absolutely gorgeous!

Deneen I LOVE the color (purple IS my favorite)!

I am so impressed at how well everyone's bags are coming out and the creative choices of yarn and pattern alterations. I know if I hadn't found Crochetville, I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with my projects!

When we're finished let's do another Felting CAL!!! This has been such a blast! Everyone's bags turned out great and it's amazing how each one of us took the same pattern and made it our own! I love seeing all the differences!

Deneen, your bag turned out great! I really like the purple.

Donna, I love your bag too. I really like the color combo and the way that speckled yarn turned out.

I am still plucking away at this bag of a million single crochets. I think I am on row 40-ish of the bag and hope to finish by this weekend.

I think another felted something-along is a great idea. I'd really like to make felted slippers, maybe something like these? This pattern is knitted but I haven't seen a crochet pattern like it and I heard these are really warm and comfy. Just my :2c.

I think another felted something-along is a great idea. I'd really like to make felted slippers,

I agree, I would love to do another felt along project. Slippers seem like fun! :hook

To those of you still working on those dreaded sc...keep going! Can't wait to see your finished bags.

Finished my bag this weekend. But I wasn't incredibly happy with it. Did anyone have a problem with the bag shifting while felting and the tab and handles being way off center? I could have missed a chunk of the instructions, it's been known to happen before, but I straightened my bag out on the floor pre-felting and sewed on the handles and tab. Now it just looks more than a little off. Other than that, it turned out great. Really want to do another one. Will post pics soon.

I agree, I would love to do another felt along project. Slippers seem like fun! :hook QUOTE]

If someone can find a cool slipper pattern, I'd join in a heartbeat! I've been looking online and can't find a crocheted one I really like. There is a so-so one published by Fiber Trends.

Finished my bag this weekend. But I wasn't incredibly happy with it. Did anyone have a problem with the bag shifting while felting and the tab and handles being way off center? I could have missed a chunk of the instructions, it's been known to happen before, but I straightened my bag out on the floor pre-felting and sewed on the handles and tab. Now it just looks more than a little off. Other than that, it turned out great. Really want to do another one. Will post pics soon.

Tandi,

The same thing happened to me. It is like one side shrunk more than the other and so things were off balance. Luckily for me the worst feature was the button so I just took it off and sewed it back on. The handle doesn't line up well but since I chose to do my handle a little differently I lucked out. Can't wait to see a pic. It probably doesn't look as off as you think.

Archived