FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

Tandi,

The same thing happened to me. It is like one side shrunk more than the other and so things were off balance. Luckily for me the worst feature was the button so I just took it off and sewed it back on. The handle doesn't line up well but since I chose to do my handle a little differently I lucked out. Can't wait to see a pic. It probably doesn't look as off as you think.

I didn't do this CAL, but I have done a lot of felting. I made a really large tote bag earlier this year and it did the same thing you are describing. I have no idea why... so if someone else knows more about the whole Felting/fulling process and can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it! :blush

Mare

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Well, I finally got the pieces sewn together and felted the tote with great results. If you'd like to take a look see, follow the link in my signature! I had fun :)

I'm on row 4 of the terrible sc. It's really not that bad -- but I have about 3 other projects going rioght now that are all SC!!! It gets a bit monotonous. But I'm excited to try felting so....

Okay, I have a question....do I work EVERY round with "last stitch and first stitch in the same sc" or just the first? Because I would think (and it appears to be true with mine) that it would increase each round by 4 stitches, yes? I'm a little confused......could someone enlighten me?

TIA!!!

• 2 weeks later...

wheee, I finally started this bag. I just finished row 27 of the sc and it's coming along quickly. I'm making it in brown and a bright turquoise (seems to be the rage, those colors). Holding the two colors together actually does look quite good even though I'm not a fan of "brown". I'm making the bag for my friend for an extra Xmas gift. Pics by the weekend I hope.

wheee, I finally started this bag. I just finished row 27 of the sc and it's coming along quickly. I'm making it in brown and a bright turquoise (seems to be the rage, those colors). Holding the two colors together actually does look quite good even though I'm not a fan of "brown". I'm making the bag for my friend for an extra Xmas gift. Pics by the weekend I hope.

Those colors sound really cool, Jewels. Can't wait to see it finished.

Finally, here are some pics of my Felted Tote.

It's been ages since I worked on my FCEC bag. I put it down to work on some Christmas gifts. I must say that re-reading this thread and looking at all the FO's has revived my enthusiam for actually finishing my bag.

All I have done on this is the base. I had a difficult time doing it too, I frogged it four times! :eek It kept coming out wider on top. I finally got it to where I can live with it but if you look real close you can see that it's still off.

I'm gonna try and work on my bag over the next week and see if I can get it finished. In the mean time here is a tiny progress pic. :blush I'm using Fisherman's wool instead of Paton's because it's the only 100% wool JoAnn's had, and at the time, I wanted to get started on it right away. :lol I'm going to use the natural color of the wool and then dye some wool brown for the top color. At least, that is the plan for now. Some of the colors I've seen are pretty enticing, plus Christmas is coming so Christmas-y colors might be nice too. Hmmmm....

2005_11_04_FCECfeltedtote.jpg

Thanks, Ginny!

I got 14 rows if sc's done yesterday! :cheer Unfortunately, I have to stop now and I will not resume until Monday. I have to cook the church turkey tonight and then tomorrow is the big 'shin dig'. So I'll report back in sometime next week.

Anyone else out there still working on this:?

I finished the main bag crocheting of a zillion sc rows this morning and did the flap and handles this afternoon. They're all ready for felting right now. I had enough wool so am just making a matching little cell phone bag tonite and will be ready to do the felting tomorrow. Looks great so far, and I'm just imagining how great it will look felted and put together. please please please let the felting go good. I'm going to felt all the pieces separately and put it together after the process.

Anyone else out there still working on this:?

I am!!! I had to set mine aside for Christmas gifts as well. I may wait to give it to my SIL when they come down in Jan/Feb rather than crucnch time before the baby is born....or I may just make it for someone else and do something else for her. I found a really cute pattern in Hooked on Crochet! for a giraffe tote!!! (of course I found it right after I got my knitpicks order!!) Oh, it's adorable! So, we'll see how things work out, but I'm still planning on doing this...just not right now.

to join this bagalong. I just started a bag and would like to join. Ialso wanted to find out if anybody knows were I can find the Fall/Winter 2005 issue of Family Circle Easy Crochet magazine. I cant find it anyplace in Arizona. The felted bag that everybody is making in it looks easy to make and wanted to give it a try. Can anybody help my with the book or pattern.:D :D

It's great to hear that people are still working on this bag. I haven't had a chance to work on mine today but I will be working on it a bit later on tonight.

Jewels: :lol at your zillion sc comment. Boy do I hear you there! I hope everything worked out ok. I can't wait to see your FO!

Cristin: Gald you are still around! The giraffe tote sounds really cute!

Heather: Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Becky: Welcome! It's hard to find the mag but here are a couple of links that might work for you:

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Knitting_Crochet_Magazines-Family_Circle_Easy_Crochet-2020.html

http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=723

I'm hoping to get my bag finished by the end of the week. I have so many projects going on that I want to finish up before Christmas and this is one of them. I'm just going to keep on keeping on till their done.

Archived