FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

Airmedh--I had a little trouble with the stripes since i didnt dot he slip stitch to join--so if you look closely, you can see they're off on the first and last stictch..but it doesnt matter to me!!

Thanks Rachel! I was wondering about that. I know I can sure see the difference on the color changes for the stripes as I'm making mine but I wondered if it would be as noticeable once it was felted. I definitely couldn't tell in your pic that there was any possible issue.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd give an update! I decided last night to stop at row 38 because this thing was getting huge (I'm using this bulky Landscapes yarn)... I got the trim on the bag finished and then started on one of the handles but ran out of my trim color so I have to go to the store today and get one more skein. Hopefully I'll be finished today! At latest tomorrow, I think!

P.S. Did anyone here NOT make the little closure thing? I started to make it and then thought better of it. Just wondering if I'm the only one here...

P.S. Did anyone here NOT make the little closure thing? I started to make it and then thought better of it. Just wondering if I'm the only one here...

I decided not to include it. When I put the bag together I wasn't happy with how the closing tab looked. You can see a picture of my bag or Rachel's (chickpea67) that doesn't have a closure either...

~Eliany :hook

Well, I'm done. It didn't turn out extremely great, but it's not horrible. The problems are my own fault as this was my first felting project and didn't know what to expect. The first mistake was using red and white wool. When I felted the red bled into the white so the end product is more of a red and light pink tote. The next problem was that it didn't shrink evenly so the button was waaaaaayyyy off center so I had to take it off and re-sew it after the felting was done. The final issue is my "bright" :( idea on the strap. I decided to do only one strap and do it with two strands (one of each color) to make it extra sturdy. However, after felting it looks odd to say the least. Oh well, that is the price you pay when you experiment. Anyway, the photos can be seen by clicking the links below:

Pre-felting

Post Felting 1

Post Felting 2

I'm not very good with pictures so this is the best I have.

I finished my bag last night, although I am not happy with the stitch definition not fulling correctly, but such is life.

I used two 100 gram hanks of some handpainted expensive wool (to me anyway) I bought at AC Moore (Arucardian-I think is the name).

Anyway, I had about 3 yards left over (whew!)

I fulled htis about 7 times and it did shrink, just didn't fuzz up like I would have liked.

Original size was about 14" x 16" and it did shrink down to 11" x 12" (approx)

I won't do another (sorry, I hated the sc rounds with a passion), but I plan to do other fulled bags.

Before:

th_DSC01340.jpg

After (it's still blocking):

th_DSC01344.jpg

Well, I'm done. It didn't turn out extremely great, but it's not horrible. The problems are my own fault as this was my first felting project and didn't know what to expect. The first mistake was using red and white wool. When I felted the red bled into the white so the end product is more of a red and light pink tote. The next problem was that it didn't shrink evenly so the button was waaaaaayyyy off center so I had to take it off and re-sew it after the felting was done. The final issue is my "bright" :( idea on the strap. I decided to do only one strap and do it with two strands (one of each color) to make it extra sturdy. However, after felting it looks odd to say the least. Oh well, that is the price you pay when you experiment. Anyway, the photos can be seen by clicking the links below:

Pre-felting

Post Felting 1

Post Felting 2

I'm not very good with pictures so this is the best I have.

Ginny, I agree with Donna -- your bag looks great!!! (funny how we are always our own worst critics??) I really do like it!

Deneen~ yours looks great too!

Ugh, I can't wait to start mine....no yarn yet. I think it got sent out late last week?

I fulled htis about 7 times and it did shrink, just didn't fuzz up like I would have liked.

Out of curiosity, which method did you use to felt? Mine didn't work well using the two bucket in the sink method, but after that I used the machine and it made a big difference. I could just be the yarn, though. I love the colors and I think it looks fine:yay

Out of curiosity, which method did you use to felt? Mine didn't work well using the two bucket in the sink method, but after that I used the machine and it made a big difference. I could just be the yarn, though. I love the colors and I think it looks fine:yay

I used the washing machine method, jeans added for agitation, etc. I just think some wool doesn't full as well as others. It is frustrating and it's not the first time this happened with some wool not fulling as well as others.

I finally finished my bag. It is my first real crochet project and boy did I learn a lot! :cheer I am happy with the end product, although, as always, it could have been better.

Some things I learned: not to use two different kinds of yarn in a felted project; read other people's posts and suggestions; don't hestitate to rip out when it doesn't look right. I want to thank all those who gave suggestions such as doubling the handles. :manyheart I made mine with two rows of double crochet, side by side and I am quite pleased with the handles.

When I make another one of these bags, I think I am going to make it shorter, but a bit wider.

You can see photos at:

http://homepage.mac.com/kipwich/PhotoAlbum17.html

KIPPIANN! YOU HAVE AWESOME THREAD WORKING SKILLS....I JUST PAGED THROUGH YOUR PHOTOS! I have always dreamed of making a quilt....you are VERY talented! Love all the colors you chose for the 'insane" one! :) :)

Thanks for all the nice remarks on the bag. I'm liking it more now then I did last night, but I don't think I'll do this one again.

Deneen - I love your bag! The color is absolutely wonderful too!! :cheer

Kippiann - I love yours too!! I like the two different yarns.

I just felted mine again. It is small, but much cuter.

If you don't like it, you can keep felting it. It gets super strong and super sturdy. The stitches totally disappear.

I also was happier with the handles after I shortened them and re-felted. Proportions were good.

I highly recommend Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. Super cheap. How can you feel bad about a project that costs less than $10??

I just got my yarn in the mail yesterday from Knitpicks!! (yep, totally cheap!! $14.99 incl shipping - I got four colors)

I started my base last night, but didn't bring it with me to work. I'm leaving early today and therefore not taking a lunch break. I can't WAIT to get going on it!!

If I do another one, I'm going to do Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Blueberry and a chocolate brown color for myself. :)

I finally got my last skein of yarn to finish this thing and doggone it, I left my magazine at home!!! I wanted to get this finished today!!! Can anyone PM me the instructions for the straps? I have the buttons done, I just need to finish the straps! THanks!

Hey all, I know I posted my bag already, but this weekend i added a few embellishments to make the bag stronger and last a little longer.

th_PA240123.jpg

th_PA240122.jpg

I added ribbon to the underside of the straps and put in a matching lining. As much as I loved it before, I love it more now. Now I don't feel like my keys will poke a hole in the bag. It was my first sewing project since 7th grade! So the stiches aren't great but I'm pretty proud!

Blues and Cristin, thanks for the KnitPicks info. I'll have to try them next time for wool. I used Crystal Palace for this because I know I like how it felts and I ended up spending twice that!

I added ribbon to the underside of the straps and put in a matching lining. As much as I loved it before, I love it more now. Now I don't feel like my keys will poke a hole in the bag. It was my first sewing project since 7th grade! So the stiches aren't great but I'm pretty proud!

Chickpea your bag turned out awesome! I was thinking about lining mine, but I've never lined anything before. Any tips?

Archived