FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

Did anyone have trouble with the stitch count on the tab? I chained 14, sc in second chain from hook, that's 13. Chained 1, turned. skip 1st sc, sc in next 3 (I think it should be 4), ch 4, sc in next 4 sc. If I followed the instructions like this, the button hole is off center and the stitch count wouldn't be 13. What did you do?

Karen

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ripped mine out and did my own....I don't remember what I did to make it more even because I didn't write it down, but I didn't follow thier directions. Mine was still slightly off, but I think it had more to do with the way I blocked the bag, as it pulls to the right a little even though I centered the button. It isn't that noticeable and I'm not a perfectionist!!!:)

Every time I read this thread I get more and more excited to start!! But I really need to decide on my colors first! I'm going to go to JoAnn's tonight to check out the colors again (the first time I went I was scoping out colors for my friend rather than the diaper bag idea). I'm thinking beige with primary stripes -- yellow, red and blue or green somewhere in there -- we'll see what colors I have to choose from. I'll also go back to Knit Picks as I think they're selection has a LOT more color varieties!! -- I'm really just thinking aloud, I don't mean to bore you ladies with my indecision! LOL --

I do have a question though. I have a front load washing machine. Will that provide enough agitation? Or is it more the water temp that does the felting??

I do have a question though. I have a front load washing machine. Will that provide enough agitation? Or is it more the water temp that does the felting??

From what I understand, a lot of the shrinking has to do with the shock of going from hot water to cold water and the agitation makes it "felty" (Hey, new word!)

I have a non-standard washer (calypso) which doesn't have quite the same agitation as most, and it took all of 2 times through for it to come out to my liking. If it seems not to be working, you can also do it by hand.

Alright-- I'm only on row 40 and I'm almost out of the main color, eventhough my gauge is right. I may be able to squeeze out one or two more rows but that's it.

Do you guys think it would look funny without all the rows asked for? I even did 5 rows in the contracsting color so this wouldn't happen!

ok, I just ordered tan, tomato, daffodil and blue bonnet from Knitpicks.com "wool of the Andes" line.

I spent only $14.99 (including shipping)!! My only worry is that the tan and daffodil may be too "close" in color...?? We'll see!

ok, I just ordered tan, tomato, daffodil and blue bonnet from Knitpicks.com "wool of the Andes" line.

I spent only $14.99 (including shipping)!! My only worry is that the tan and daffodil may be too "close" in color...?? We'll see!

I'm sure it will look fine!!

I'm close to finish my bag. The dimensions are way off but I love :manyheart how it looks anyway!!! I decided to leave the closing tab out (I made it but it looks out of proportion when I put it with the bag). I didn't have enough yarn to finish all the rounds but I think it'll work out. I'll post pictures as soon as I finish it. I still have to attach the handles.

OK... I have an issue! :think I don't own a washing machine... I use the building's front loader machines to do my laundry. As you already know, those machines lock the door once it starts the cycle. That means that if I decide to use those, I'll have to let my bag spin. Is all that spinning going to damage the bag? I've also heard that doing it in the sink doesn't give the same results as doing it in the washing machine. Any advice will be highly appreciated. :hug

I finished my second bag. I just love the way that it come out. I wish I was keeping it but I am giving it to my MIL. I already have the yarn on the way for a third bag for myself. I hope that everyone else is having good luck with their bags. You can see mine here at my blog.

I love your bag, and the colors you chose!

(My yarn came today, but I have to finish a baby blanket first:P)

Go to your local laundromat. The whole felting process takes about 10 minutes!

Yes... that's all I got, the building's washing machines. The problems is I can't stop the machine after rinse or at anytime. The door locks once it start. My question is... Will the spinning after rinse damage my bag? :think

Oh Lord! I just counted and I'm only on row #19!!! UGH! Here I thought I was making progress! What did everyone do to stop the insanity of the SC's from helll????????????

I can only work on the bag for about 2 hours at a time which only equals about 8 rounds. Anymore than that and I just don't want to work on it for a few days. I'm only on row 35 and I'm in the same boat.

I finished my second bag. I just love the way that it come out. I wish I was keeping it but I am giving it to my MIL. I already have the yarn on the way for a third bag for myself. I hope that everyone else is having good luck with their bags. You can see mine here at my blog.

Lovely!!! How do you manage to do them so quickly??

Lovely!!! How do you manage to do them so quickly??

It really wasn't that quick. I had started it before I started the CAL for the bag. So I was kind of ahead. And I already did one bag so I knew what to do already when making it. Not like the first time when I had to redo some stuff. But I can crochet quick when I want but all those SC start to get to you after a while.

But I can crochet quick when I want but all those SC start to get to you after a while.

I know what you mean! I love the look of the bag and now that I know what I"m doing it's not that hard, but I can't imagine every making another one with all these rows of SC.

I guess I must be the only one that doesn't mind all the sc! lol I guess it's just mindless. I can do it in front of the TV and just zone out! It does get tedious, but I love the end results!

Archived