FCEC felted bagalong

firemanshunny

Can I still join you all in this one?

My friend (a knitter who wants to learn to crochet, we have YET to find a time that works for both of us) just made a fleted bag and she just LOVES it!

I wanna try it, but I've never felted either...so I'll need some help along the way I'm sure. LOL

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELP! I went to Jo-Ann's tonite to get my yarn for this and they didn't have any yarn that was 100% wool. The most was Wool-Ease which is 20% wool. Any ideas where I can find 100% wool yarn???

Ginny,

What helped for me was to mark the beginning of each side with a marker and counting to make sure there were 16 each short side and 44 each long side. Only the first round has two stitches in the corner, one for each side that meets at that corner, so for the 2nd and consecutive rounds, sc in each stitch around and you should have the same number of stitches. It may take a few rows to get the shape of the bag. I joined my rows just because I like the evenness and I like to know exactly where my rounds start and end. After it's felted I probably won't be able to see a "seam". Does that help, I hope?

Thanks Alli! I'll give it another try.

Donna,

I bought my wool on-line from joann.com because I had the same problem with finding 100% wool in my LYS.

Hi Donna,

I ordered mine last night from KnitPicks at 1.79 a skein (110 yards). That's worsted weight, which I hope is right. I've never ordered from them before. I went to JoAnns last evening, too. they did have 1 type of wool, but it was 6.99 for a small, small skein!!!! Too much for my first felting project.

Welcome Donna and Cristin:yay ,

I bought mine online too at Joann's, it took about a week. I think they have Lion Wool at AC Moore, but I am using Paton's Wool, they have more colors to choose from.

Ginny, I should mention that if you mark your corners or at least the beginning of your round, you will notice that it gradually moves to the right (but that's perfectly fine.)

I want to join in.

But um...I am embarrased to say this, :blush but can someone please tell me what FCEC is? I feel totally out of it these days.

Would anyone be interested in doing a crochet along for the felted bag in the FCEC? I have seen a bunch of people say that they want to try it. I know that there are a ton of CAL's already but really don't we need more??? :devil

It October 1st and this CAL has started!! Hope you all good luck! Please make sure to post pictures of what you have made so that we can all see the different things being done!

Ginny, I should mention that if you mark your corners or at least the beginning of your round, you will notice that it gradually moves to the right (but that's perfectly fine.)

Argh!!!! That was what was happening last time and I thought that must have meant I did it wrong. Live and learn I guess!

I want to join in.

But um...I am embarrased to say this, :blush but can someone please tell me what FCEC is? I feel totally out of it these days.

Don't worry Kimberly!! I wouldn't know except I saw it posted somewhere else around here. It is the Facmily Circle Easy Crochet magazine.

Hi Donna,

I ordered mine last night from KnitPicks at 1.79 a skein (110 yards). That's worsted weight, which I hope is right. I've never ordered from them before. I went to JoAnns last evening, too. they did have 1 type of wool, but it was 6.99 for a small, small skein!!!! Too much for my first felting project.

Just make sure that when you use another brand of yarn that you order enough to complete the pattern. Paton's yarn is used in the pattern. The skeins are 223 yards/100 grams each. Knit pick wool of the andes 110yards/50 grams. So You might need more than 3 balls of yarn. So make sure you get enough to finish the bag. :hook

I just finished round 44 but am too tired to take a progress pic. Maybe I'll be fulling by tomorrow night since it is a holiday! :sheepjump

Here's an interesting ?, what round did you change to a new skein on? I think I was on 25, but am using an "I" hook.

Just make sure that when you use another brand of yarn that you order enough to complete the pattern. Paton's yarn is used in the pattern. The skeins are 223 yards/100 grams each. Knit pick wool of the andes 110yards/50 grams. So You might need more than 3 balls of yarn. So make sure you get enough to finish the bag. :hook

Thank you! I have already purchased my yarn, but now I do not think I have enough! I am using Lopi yarn and it is only 110 yards per skein. I will have to buy more of have a MUCH smaller bag. :P

I am a beginner crocheter and am new to this forum. I look forward to getting started....and actually hope to finish. :hook

oh dear-- Ipicked up the mag last night and I do love that bag....i would like to join in...*L* but i SO don't need another project on my hooks! But the comrarderie would be nice....and i'm up at my parent's house which is close to a joanns superstore...what to do, what to do...

How fast is the project? I could do it on wedenesday nights when the hubster is not around....

How fast is the project? I could do it on wedenesday nights when the hubster is not around....

I want to say it took me about 8 hours total (hard to say since I didn't keep track). It's very easy, but the 54 rows of single crochet are mind-numbing.

As I previously posted, I am having a hard time finding 100% wool here in town. I'm wondering if 50% wool would work. I came across some Lion Brand (I think) Landscapes which is 50% wool and 50% acrylic. It says right on the label that this can be used for felting... If this is cool I'd rather do this than on line. I can hide yarn I buy in the stores from my hubby a lot easier than I can if I buy it on line... THANKS!

Archived