63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm done!!! :clap I'm done!!! :clap I'm done!!! :clap

I finished up early Saturday morning. I figure I spent 2.5 hours on Wed, 3 hrs on Thurs, 4 hrs on Friday and less than 1 hour on Sat. That's only 10 hours total on the joining and edging. I plan to mail it out tomorrow for an early arrival at my sister's door! My mom thinks she has forgotten I'm even making it so it might be a big surprise (especially the fact that it's on time). So all told I finished it in 2 months.

You can view it in my album:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c255/jkuschel2002/

I'm done!!! :clap I'm done!!! :clap I'm done!!! :clap

I finished up early Saturday morning. I figure I spent 2.5 hours on Wed, 3 hrs on Thurs, 4 hrs on Friday and less than 1 hour on Sat. That's only 10 hours total on the joining and edging. I plan to mail it out tomorrow for an early arrival at my sister's door! My mom thinks she has forgotten I'm even making it so it might be a big surprise (especially the fact that it's on time). So all told I finished it in 2 months.

You can view it in my album:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c255/jkuschel2002/

Jen, a huge congrats to you! :yay You really rallied for the finishing! I love the colors you used. It turned out great!

I'm still joining away, can't find a way to make it portable without mixing up the squares and I can only hunch over it on the floor for so long so the joining is going slow, but should be finished soon.

Hang in there Claire! Can't wait to see project pics!

Congrats, Jen!! :clap It looks terrific! Isn't it funny how kitties must, must, must walk all over everything!! So cute!

Nice job! Did you make two?!! I see a red/brown combo and a pink/green combo in you pics. :)

My sister can't "see" things on paper and imagine them in real life so when she saw mine she just figured she needed the same one in different colors. I did the pink and green one from March 2005-end of June 2005 and the red and brown one from Jar-Feb 2006. I REFUSE to make another one. :devil

Keep up the finishing work Tandi!! It's so worth it when it's finally done!

Claire, I'm going to keep on stopping in here to cheer you on until yours is done. Consider yourself warned :)

To those who just started: This is a great project and you learn a whole lot while doing it! Keep on plugging until it's done!:cheer

Thanks for the warning, Jen!

You won't have much longer. I'm finishing up #59 right now. Then I have to edge a few, then it'll be on to the joining. I can't believe it!

I had to run out yesterday to buy another skein of green yarn and a whole 'nother One Pounder to do the remaining 17 edges and of course, the joining.

In just a few moments, I'm going to start my 63rd and LAST square!!!!

EEEP!

Hi Susan

Great work on the squares ! Keep it up !

By the way, I went to your blog -- your ripple is lovely !

What colors did you use for it ?

Susan, your ripple afghan is gorgeous! :clap I love the colors. :snow

Thanks, I used Simply Soft but I will go and check exactly what colors thry are, I know for sure that black is in there. I am about 3/4 through with it now. I should have know better then go into the crochet olympics, lol, with so much I get going on sometimes:eek , but it was fun anyway.

You know anything that has to do with crochet is fun to me :manyheart

Susan that ripple is awesome! Your blog is really nice too. ALMOST makes me want to do one (but not quite...)

Claire, This is your check up! I see that you're on your last square!! You'll be in the home stretch before you know it! Keep up the good work.

I see you checking on me, Jen!

Just a few minutes ago, I put the last edging stitch on my 63rd square!!!! That parallel cable was kind of a pain to get going. But once it did, it went right along.

Now I have to finish edging approximately 17 more squares, just one row of ecru, then it's on to joining. I hope to get the majority of that done today, because even though it's errand day for me usually, I've got a sick kid home and can't go anywhere.

Anyone have any recs for which joining method to use? Which one is fastest? :D Which one leaves the least ends to weave in?

I see you checking on me, Jen!

Just a few minutes ago, I put the last edging stitch on my 63rd square!!!! That parallel cable was kind of a pain to get going. But once it did, it went right along.

Now I have to finish edging approximately 17 more squares, just one row of ecru, then it's on to joining. I hope to get the majority of that done today, because even though it's errand day for me usually, I've got a sick kid home and can't go anywhere.

Anyone have any recs for which joining method to use? Which one is fastest? :D Which one leaves the least ends to weave in?

---------

Wow, congrats, Claire! I know someone here did sc to join the strip, and my sister likes to use slip stitch. I think either one would work up pretty quickly, much faster than stitching them together, and which one to use would depend on whether you want the texture of the ridge or a smoother look. For the 63 more that I'm working on, I plan (eventually) to put everything together using slip stitch.

Great job, Claire !

I put mine together with sc , which does make a ridge ,but it is very speedy . Slip stitch would also be just as speedy. I hate sewing -- so that was out of the question for me, but some people like it because the blanket actually is flatter that way without the ridge .

Good luck, hope you get lots done on it and maybe finished up this weekend !:clap

I've been lurking here for a little while, and I'm thinking about signing up. I've had the book and started on it at least twice, but haven't gotten very far at all. Will have to wait about another week before I can get some yarn to start...still thinking about colors.

Hi to new Julie! And hi to everyone else!

It would be great to have another 63 Wannabe Club member! The squares can be a little ornery at first, but after a while you get the hang of it and it's not so hard to get them to the right size. I've learned tons by making this afghan!

I hope to finish edging and start joining tonight. I have one left to edge and maybe another that could use another row to make it big enough (preachercuss, of all squares!). Then I'll be joining!

Hi! Is it too late to join in this CAL? I have been working off and on with this afghan for about a year now. I thought it would be a good project for a newbie like me to practice with. At last count I think I had about 15 squares finished.

I had a question regarding the size of the squares. Does it matter terribly if they aren't exactly the same size? I know how stretch out a square that is too small, but I have a few that are just too big (even after going down a hook size). Does anyone have any recommendations about blocking a square so that it's smaller? Is that even possible?:think

Hi Julie -

Julie here ... Can't believe how many Julies there are in this group ! :lol

Nope, it's not too late to sign up -- pick up your hook and get busy !

I have never blocked anything in my life so will not be a good one to answer this, but for me, the squares did turn out different sized to some extent . If you want to use the ones you have done so far, then how far off the size would you say the big ones are ? You'll have to try to gauge all your others according to the ones you already have made .

When you start a square , measure it after a row or two to see if width-wise it is coming out close . If it is, then continue . If it is WAY off, like 2 inches, then you'll have to do some adjusting someplace . What sizes are your other squares and what type yarn are you using ? some yarns are a lot thicker than others and tend to make the squares bigger .

You can also add or subtract beginning chains on some of the squares that give a stitch count .

On a few of mine, I made adjustments by adding an extra row of border, or making one row less of a border .

Get back to me on some of my questions when you can, and we'll try to go from there . :)

Hi, Julie! Thank you for your quick response. I would say that the biggest of the squares is maybe 1/2 an inch too large on all sides. I can almost stretch the smaller ones the same size.

I'm using Red Heart super saver worsted weight for all of them--and I have had two different sized squares come out of the same skein. One pink square will be exactly 7 inches, but the next will be too big! Maybe it's my tension?

"You can also add or subtract beginning chains on some of the squares that give a stitch count ." I think this is my problem for some of them, but I've just been too chicken to fiddle with the beginning chain. I do think that will solve some of the problems (for example, I just started #11, and the beginning chain is way too long on that one).

One other question, would you recommend edging the squares in ecru as you go along or waiting until they are all finished before edging? By waiting, it seems that it would be easier to add borders to the smaller ones in order to adjust the size. I've been edging as I finish each square, but maybe I shouldn't? What is everyone else doing?

Thanks for the advice!

Julie (#17!?):ty

Archived